PDA

View Full Version : iPod in place of CD changer?

Chris
October 24th, 2010, 03:44 PM
I can't imagine there not being a way but I can't find anything.

I removed the 6 CD changer from my console since it takes up half the space. I'm looking for a way to connect my iPod to the wiring instead. The model # of the changer is 08601-00871 but I can't find any cross reference that may help.

TIA!

Brody
October 24th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Try this link Chris. The guy even gives the adapter unit and parts source for it.

http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3376

There is a mess of stuff on this Google search :

http://www.google.com/search?hl=&q=installing+an+ipod+in+place+of+the+CD+Changer+20 05+4Runner&sourceid=navclient-ff&rlz=1B3GGLL_enUS393US394&ie=UTF-8

Which is what I punched in.

Since quite a lot of this information is on the Toyota 120 forum, the basic install parts and pieces shouldn't run more than $15-20k:D:D

I bet Adam can source a lot of this stuff if you have questions....

Chris
October 24th, 2010, 04:22 PM
:lmao: yeah, I've spent time there and Google already. Plenty of info on installing an iPod adapter and pulling the dash but I just want to connect to the existing Connector for the CD changer. Seems too easy but apparently not as easy as I think it should be.

Robert B
October 24th, 2010, 05:25 PM
i tried to just change out my cd player and fried the speaker wiring in my car and the factor mp so i just rewired the speakers.... i hate factory wiring ..did you get a Ipod cdplayer or trying to go just straight from the ipod to the speakers ??

Chris
October 24th, 2010, 05:32 PM
I want to replace the 6 CD changer with the iPod. The wiring to the stereo is there, I just need a way to hook in the iPod.

scout man
October 24th, 2010, 05:36 PM
how many wires in the current run chris? There has to be at least 2 for an unbalanced audio line (which is what you are looking for), an probably a couple to commiunicate what track and stuff. The only other scenario I can see is if it is 100% digital from the changer to the radio, in which case there is no way to do what you are trying to do.

Robert B
October 24th, 2010, 06:05 PM
i dont know trucks that new so good luck :) (id say spend 80$ on a cd player with a jack in the front for the ipod and be done with it) good luck though

Brad
October 24th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Believe it or not, iPods were still not all that big in 05 when it comes to manufacturers integrating the technology. In fast it was not even embraced until 07 for most companies.
Unless someone made a retro adapter that plugs into the factory socket for the CD changer you are probably going to have to build your own off a newer model adapter.
Most likely will need to move pins in the harness to match up to the proper pins on your stereo. I had to do this to adapt a motorola harness for bluetooth on my Rabbit.
Also had to do this for the ipod adapter for our rabbit. none of the pins matched up but I figured out which went where. :thumb:

Chris
October 24th, 2010, 07:15 PM
how many wires in the current run chris? There has to be at least 2 for an unbalanced audio line (which is what you are looking for), an probably a couple to commiunicate what track and stuff. The only other scenario I can see is if it is 100% digital from the changer to the radio, in which case there is no way to do what you are trying to do.

Thanks for the encouragement Steve! There's a bunch of wires, the CD player plays through the radio with all sorts of text data displayed on the screen, steering wheels buttons and who knows what else.

i dont know trucks that new so good luck :) (id say spend 80$ on a cd player with a jack in the front for the ipod and be done with it) good luck though

I think I'll keep this one, a 10 speaker JBL setup with voice navigation Robert, the PO paid something like $2300 to add it. It's great except for the missing aux input.

scout man
October 24th, 2010, 07:34 PM
chris, here is what I would try. Assuming once again it is not digital, I would take an 1/8 inch cable (ipod/ headphone cable), cut it in half and strip the ends. I would then go methodically through the wire ends from the original equipment with the radio set to play a CD and the ipod playing music and see if anything passes any sound at all. You will need to have 2 leads connected to acheive a good sound. In a perfect world these would be black and red, but i find that unlikely. If you cant get anything to pass a sound, or crackle at all then it is most likely a digital situation. This means the cabling is simply passing ones and zeros and wont pass the analog ipod signal. You would need an AD converter before the cabling, which simply doesnt come in a compact package that I know of. Let me know if you want some help trying to figure it out!!

Chris
October 24th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Considering I understood until the passing zeros & ones (ok, digital vs analog, right?) What's an AD converter? Analog to digital? Wow, this is well beyond me. Maybe I'll have you take a look at it when you're not busy. Thanks!

scout man
October 24th, 2010, 07:55 PM
yea, the stuff before the ones and zeros was the important part. Basically cut a chord open and start trying stuff. Ill still help out though, I dont mind.

and yea, AD is analog to digital converter. Takes your wavy things and makes them 1 or 0! :thumb:

Robert B
October 24th, 2010, 08:01 PM
uhh i can ask my cousin how he wired his into the back of his deck .... no aux port in his either .... might work that way and use all the speakers etc

cfr
October 24th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Try Crutchfield (http://www.crutchfield.com/)

Mporter
October 24th, 2010, 08:53 PM
^ that's what I was gonna suggest

Chris
October 24th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Thanks, I'll take any help I can get. I have some emails out and Crutchfield is on my list, I think I may have found something but considering the scope of my understanding I'll wait for a response. I know I can pull the head unit and do it but it would be so much easier to use the existing loom.

wyota
October 25th, 2010, 04:37 PM
you need this : http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=USA+Spec+PA11-TOY&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=4669459078754252622&ei=bQXGTJ6PPMb_lgex6IgI&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CC4Q8wIwAg#. you said that your talking to crutch field, so im betting you already know this:thumb:

Chris
October 25th, 2010, 05:50 PM
I think I need this one but haven't made any calls to confirm.

http://www.oemautosound.com/pc-158-113-usa-spec-pa15-toy-toyota-1998-2007-to-ipod-interface.aspx

Brad
October 25th, 2010, 06:25 PM
That looks correct to me.

Roo
October 25th, 2010, 07:36 PM
That looks correct to me.
Me too!

Chris
October 26th, 2010, 07:21 PM
I think it'll work too, I'll see when it gets here.

Chris
October 30th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Turns out to be the right one but not the way I hoped. Had to pull the radio to connect but that was pretty easy. Nice to have my music again.

Rob
October 30th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Nice to have my music again.

I'll bet you were missing your Montavani, Glenn Miller and Lou Reed. :cool:

Chris
October 30th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Who's Lou Reed? :smokin:

Rob
October 30th, 2010, 11:45 PM
Who's Lou Reed? :smokin:

:) Laurie Anderson's husband.

wakkjobb
October 31st, 2010, 12:22 AM
F ipods; go with mp3 players. I haven't read the whole post BTW and may has been drinking.

>>Dan