PDA

View Full Version : 1987 Toyota 4x4 Van Project

Patrolman
October 11th, 2010, 09:41 PM
A project of a bit different type for me. I love the Toyota's, so it only made sense to give a van a whirl! This one is going to be a BIG overhaul too. LOTS to do on it just to make it road ready, and then of course, there will be mods if I am satisfied enough to keep it!

First off, I pulled all the carpet in the front and the front seats. Took everything to the car wash on an 85 degree day, sprayed all the nasty filth out of it, let it air dry in the sun for 2+ days and then re-installed. :)

This past weekend in installed the "courtesy lights" for turning. They are essentially a dim side headlight that comes on either side on the corner when the turn signal is on. Gives you a look sideways to where you are turning. The previous ones were busted out just like most of the other corner lights. They work great now and look almost good as new!

The next project will be to replace the crap auto-hubs with a set of manual hubs. They can be van or truck/4Runner IFS hubs. Also it needs new tires. The ones on there now are 2 sizes too small, so I hope to get back to stock, and maybe a slightly larger tire along with a mild lift. Any rubber has to be better than the cords it has showing now though.

Patrolman
October 11th, 2010, 09:45 PM
After I complete all the "maintenance" items it needs, such as fixing the power windows and such, then I already have a short list of mods I would like.

I am hoping for some sort of a custom front bumper, maybe with a small winch. Also a custom rear bumper maybe. The factory bumpers are crap and both need replaced anyways. I would also LOVE to have some sort of sliders that come up the sides a bit. This is a uni-body with no traditional frame. There are essentially no bolted on body panels other than doors, so I want to protect the sides the best I can from any minor bumps. Any ideas are appreciated as I have hunted high and low and found NOTHING for either bumpers or sliders!

Robert B
October 11th, 2010, 09:55 PM
im new to the whole "armor" thing but i didnt think uni-body vehicles did any good with that stuff since the vehicle just crumples at the crumple zones anyway........ just me think correct me if im wrong

Patrolman
October 11th, 2010, 10:06 PM
I should also mention there is no hood to these vans. The bumper and/or other items van fit between the headlights and the windshield. I am thinking it needs some Hella's or something. :)

Here is an idea with a couple smiley face KC's mounted on it. :)

Patrolman
October 11th, 2010, 10:11 PM
I am not terribly concerned about a hit that is heavy enough to crumple things, but more worried about a good dent in the side of the van, or into the sliding door that disables it. Also trying to give some protection for the corner lights as they seem to take a beating. If the hit is hard enough to crumple the unibody frame, some armor won't make a difference.

Brad
October 12th, 2010, 08:39 AM
You have got to show a side view with a lift and big tires! :thumb:

Fordguy77
October 12th, 2010, 12:17 PM
im new to the whole "armor" thing but i didnt think uni-body vehicles did any good with that stuff since the vehicle just crumples at the crumple zones anyway........ just me think correct me if im wrong

Cherokees are all unibody and they have all sorts of armor mods out there for them. Crumple zones are more of a more modern concept and i dont believe they are common pre 95 vehicles for the majority.

Robert B
October 12th, 2010, 07:14 PM
you sohuld get a front bumper just like your pic there Jeff awesomeness!! :P

Patrolman
October 12th, 2010, 08:59 PM

I am thinking of just using an eraser on the front of the van to blot out the ugly stuff and then a big marker to paint on a super cool bumper and lights. ;)

Robert B
October 12th, 2010, 09:02 PM
sounds like a plan make sure you use the glow in the dark paint for the lights

Brody
October 13th, 2010, 06:54 AM

Like Jeff said, the Cherokees are a unibody and there are a number of companies that make structural bracing for the unibody, some better than others. Many of them incorporate using angle bracing that runs along the unibody frame rails and building all the sliders, etc off of that. There are also a lot of cross brace after market products out there for the same applications, much as there are cross braces for steering and other weak points on the regular frame vehicles. Wheeling puts some incredible stresses on any rig, no matter the base platform and anything you can do to prevent frame cracks or damage is going to be a really good upgrade. This is much like adding rock sliders to prevent damage to the much more expensive rocker panels and doors.

Patrolman
October 17th, 2010, 11:32 PM
So the weekend project was to hit the salvage yard for the front turn signals. Got those replaced. My buddy took note of the ENORMOUS number of lights on the front of the van! Pair of fog, courtesy lights, low beams, high beams, turn signals. 10 or 12 total bulbs on the front of this thing! Additionally, it needed the driver side power window motor replaced. The previous one went down a few inches and then nothing. Taking the door apart and jumping leads to the motor found that is was completely dead. The motors are matching to lots of other Toyota's, including the ones that were in the doors that I gutted for 1/2 doors. Conveniently had the guts to the 1/2 doors in the garage. Ta-da, power driver window and at no cost. Just in time to take the garbage bag off for some rain drops.

Patrolman
October 23rd, 2010, 11:12 AM
This morning got the power window on the driver side working. Turns out the motor was fried after testing it. Also had a broken track for the window. Got a replacement track from the salvage yard, and the power motor installed. Had to solder in a replacement plug. Works like a charm. Only error is the up button makes it go down, down button makes it go up. Oops. No biggie.

Robert B
October 23rd, 2010, 09:47 PM
your window is dislexic like my speakers :) fade left and right speaker works and ---fade right and the left speaker works

Patrolman
October 30th, 2010, 09:02 PM
New rubber went on Thursday night for the van. Nothing like working until 10:30 at night with the tire machine. Sure the neighbors love me now if they didn't before. Did a total of 9 tires. 5 for the van, 4 for my buddy's ride.

Today the van got the rear hatch fixed. The catch wasn't working right and the bent bumper was all that was holding it closed. After jumping up/down on the bumper to bend it down enough to open the hatch, we then found out it wouldn't stay shut on its own. New latch, and a couple other parts, good as new. Just a few minor things to complete and it will be road ready!

Pathrat
October 30th, 2010, 10:35 PM
I like your painted on mods Jeff! The rear bumper...did someone practice swings of the sledge? It looks like it is a water damage pattern on a book!

Patrolman
October 31st, 2010, 08:16 AM
I think that the rear bumpers actually get too hot in the sun and can start to deform. It isn't the first one I have seen like that. We did take a sledge to it after this pic to get it bent back down. That was after me jumping on it to push it down enough to open. Now it works like a charm, even though it is likely only temporary.

Speedwagon
November 6th, 2010, 12:35 PM
You know, I remember these MasterAce vans in Japan. They were way cooler over there though(the entire roof on some was glass). But you got me thinking of these again, and I kind of want one!

Patrolman
November 6th, 2010, 03:42 PM
I have one posted for sale on the board. It is an automatic 4x4. I wish mine had the dual sunroofs. I think that is the only option mine is missing.

JeffX
November 7th, 2010, 07:12 AM
How much does it weigh? Is an atv winch good enough?

cfr
November 7th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Does this thing have 4lo?

Patrolman
November 7th, 2010, 10:52 AM
This van has the 4-lo and the 5-speed. It is a keeper just for that reason. :) Can be lifted 1 1/2 inches or so and put on some larger tires.

Patrolman
November 7th, 2010, 10:53 AM

How much does it weigh? Is an atv winch good enough?

It weighs in around 3,000-3,200 pounds. An ATV winch isn't quite enough. I plan on using a 6,000 Ramsey on the van I am keeping. I will have a receiver setup front and rear.

Patrolman
November 17th, 2010, 09:18 PM
The weekend as well as this evening was about working out "bugs" rather than making any major headway or mods. Replaced 2 burnt out front parking lights this evening. Replaced 2 rear ones over the weekend. Luckily there are 4 front and 4 rear. Also got the passenger power window working after tracking down a poor ground INSIDE the driver door switch that was keeping the power window from working all together.

Roostercruiser
November 17th, 2010, 11:07 PM
Kewl project Jeff, ive been looking for a VW vanagon Synchro to play with.

Funrover
November 19th, 2010, 10:59 PM
Kewl project Jeff, ive been looking for a VW vanagon Synchro to play with.

I can find you one, but they ain't cheap!

Patrolman
November 20th, 2010, 07:15 AM
Hence why I went with Toyota. I also wanted water cooled and I think these have more power than the Synchro. Also unsure if the Syncro has 4-lo. That was a must.

Patrolman
November 20th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Passed its sniff test this afternoon with flying colors. :)

Rob
November 20th, 2010, 02:08 PM
:thumb:

Patrolman
November 21st, 2010, 07:42 PM
The news is predicting a low below 10 this week, so tonight saw a mad scramble in the 30 degree darkness to change the antifreeze. I went around testing all the cars, and this one wouldn't even register at +20F on the freeze gauge. Checked it over and it was REALLY gross. 3 hours later, and it is all clean and should be good to well below 0. One more thing to cross off the list...

Patrolman
November 24th, 2010, 05:56 PM
So the bad news is that after doing the antifreeze change a couple days ago, now the water pump started leaking really good. Took that off today and also pulled out the thermostat. Tested it and it isn't opening right. Get it all replaced and done right. Frustrating to more or less be doing an antifreeze change again after all the work the other night!

Patrolman
November 25th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Today saw the install of the new water pump, new thermostat, gaskets, all 3 new belts, and topped off coolant. Took 3 different parts stores to get everything I wanted, but did it right. New Stant brand thermostat (180 degrees which is stock, and it is made in USA). Also had to go to 2 different places for the right fan belts. Also bought a brand new water pump at Autozone rather than a rebuild.

Next on the list is new brakes. Pads come in tomorrow at O'Reilly. Then it is replacing the auto-hubs with manual AISIN hubs. Slowly but surely...

Patrolman
December 19th, 2010, 09:06 AM
So the brake job was a COMPLETE NIGHTMARE. I ordered the pads from O'Reilly. They never came in. I ordered them on Amazon. Wrong parts twice in the right box. Other local places didn't even carry them. FINALLY got a set from a guy on Ebay for 1/2 the price of anyone else. They are the right ones, which was obviously the most important. This guy knows his sh#t about the vans. I also got a brand new set of Brembo (like I care) rotors for cheap enough. The wheel bearing seals were a complete disaster as well. O'Reilly ordered them 4 times before they came in. 1st one was wrong item in the box. Then the order got lost, and then it got lost again. I finally got them in Friday. I had also ordered a pair from Amazon. Right parts the first try and it would have been all done, but I damaged one putting it in.

So the story wraps up after 3 WEEKS of sitting in my driveway waiting on parts that I finally got it all done yesterday. New pads, new rotors, wheel bearings cleaned/packed, new bearing seals. Only thing not replaced was calipers as they didn't show any need. I also ditched the auto-hubs and put a manual hub on one side. I had a 4Runner drive-flange for the other side as I rebuild the 2nd manual hub to put on hopefully in a few weeks. The 4x4 should work like a charm now! I think a hub failure kept it from working before.

Patrolman
December 19th, 2010, 04:34 PM
After completing the brake job, I decided to take out the van for a test drive today. Got in, turned the key, engine turned over a couple times but didn't start. Turned key again, and just click, click, click. After doing a bit of testing, determined it was the starter. I had snagged a nearly new starter for cheap a couple weeks ago. Swapped it out today. Old one was pretty darn ugly and had seen many better days. Started up on first try after the swap. Runs and drives great!

Patrolman
December 24th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Today was the install of the stereo (with MP3 input) and CB radio with weather band. The old stereo didn't work, so cruising without tunes was getting old. Sounds pretty good for the original speakers and setup! The old stereo was HUGE, so the new stereo and CB fit just perfect into that area. Like it was made for it.

Patrolman
December 26th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Pics of stereo/cb

Patrolman
December 31st, 2010, 05:48 PM
I took the van over a parking lot last night and tested out the 4wd. Worked good. Drove it to work this morning in 4x4 and it kicked butt. This thing is super cool! Did just as well as my truck or better.

Rob
December 31st, 2010, 07:47 PM
Drove it to work this morning in 4x4 and it kicked butt.

Nice. You should bring it on the Miller Rock run tomorrow. :)

Patrolman
December 31st, 2010, 08:00 PM
Yeah, I had thought about it, but the pregnant wife isn't feeling so well. Spending a lot of time on the couch these days.

Rob
December 31st, 2010, 08:29 PM
Good reason to stay home. :thumb:

Brody
January 1st, 2011, 05:10 AM
Really coming along nicely, Jeff! Glad to hear that everything is working well and that it drives well. Thanks for the great write up!

Patrolman
January 1st, 2011, 09:15 AM
Thanks Pete. It is definately a bit unique and requires a bit of ingenuity. Should serve its purpose though. After all the maintenance is done, then I will be moving on to doing mods.

Roostercruiser
January 1st, 2011, 09:28 AM
Its a neat little van

Patrolman
February 19th, 2011, 10:43 PM
So tonight was repalacing radiator/heater hoses, not by choice. On my way to get a CV axle for my wifes Subaru, the van started spewing coolant. The primary heater hose sprung a good leak. Got her car wrapped up and then had to take care of the van. It took longer to replace 3 hoses than it did to replace a CV axle! Steps include removing the passenger seat, removing the entire shifter box/cables, removing the panel under the passenger seat. Then you can access 4 hoses. I replaced 3 of the 4. Might as well do what I can while I had it torn apart. Just one more thing to check off the list and won't need attention for some time now...

Speedwagon
February 19th, 2011, 11:16 PM
So tonight was repalacing radiator/heater hoses, not by choice. On my way to get a CV axle for my wifes Subaru, the van started spewing coolant. The primary heater hose sprung a good leak. Got her car wrapped up and then had to take care of the van. It took longer to replace 3 hoses than it did to replace a CV axle! Steps include removing the passenger seat, removing the entire shifter box/cables, removing the panel under the passenger seat. Then you can access 4 hoses. I replaced 3 of the 4. Might as well do what I can while I had it torn apart. Just one more thing to check off the list and won't need attention for some time now...

In all fairness though, Subaru axles are pretty easy. The hardest part is usually the torque to break the axle nut loose.

Patrolman
February 19th, 2011, 11:39 PM
I always find the hardest thing to do is to get the roll pin out. That took a bit as it was a bit jacked up. The Forester design is a bit different from the 80's models for the large nut, otherwise all the same stuff. I have done dozens, so it only took about an hour, maybe less.

Speedwagon
February 20th, 2011, 12:02 AM
I always find the hardest thing to do is to get the roll pin out. That took a bit as it was a bit jacked up. The Forester design is a bit different from the 80's models for the large nut, otherwise all the same stuff. I have done dozens, so it only took about an hour, maybe less.

If assembled correctly, the roll pin should be a breeze. If put on incorrectly, well... nightmares ensue. Remember, I also have a '98 Legacy that I've owed for 8 years now. But with my drift(which is the perfect size for these pins), I've never had a problem getting the pins out.

Patrolman
February 20th, 2011, 12:04 AM
Yeah, having done enough of these, they can be screwed up. I have had to drill out at least one of them in the past. I thought it might come to that today. At least the van doesn't have same issue. It is set up just like the trucks. 6 bolts for the CV to bolt onto the front diff. MUCH easier to separate!

Fordguy77
February 20th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Do you just use regular punches? or do you have a set of roll pin punches? Roll pin punches make life easy.

Patrolman
February 20th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Never heard of a roll pin punch. Will have to look for one. Honestly, I don't do these very often now. Last one was likely 10 years ago.

Brody
February 21st, 2011, 06:33 AM
Here is a roll pin punch set at Sears. Harbor Freight has them, too.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00943167000P

Since I am in the same boat as Jeff here, Mr Wizard (Chris), please explain the difference between a set of regular punches and a set of roll pin punches. I have used a generic set of punches for roll pins and other stuff I needed a punch for. I am curious...

Fordguy77
February 22nd, 2011, 03:09 AM
The real difference is that the Roll Pin Punch has a Nipple on it that slips into the inner shell of the roll pin(i believe they have size specific punches for different pins), which helps hold the punch more true to the pin, and give it 100% contact across the shoulder of the punch to the pin, allowing it in theory to come out easier. I purchased a set to put in some roll pins in some valve actuators at work(mostly because i had a sears gift card need punches and wanted something to buy). In my personal experience they seem to do far less damage to the ends of the roll pins, a lot of the time it looks brand new even after hammering it out. Just makes life easier at times. However, it is understandable that you guys may not be messing with roll pins on a regular basis, so i would stick to regular punches, unless you wanted to drop $20 something that is useful but would hardly ever see use.
Heres a pic where you can kinda see the nipple i was talking about.

Brody
February 22nd, 2011, 06:45 AM
Thanks, Chris for the picture and explanation. Makes sense now and I see the reason behind the 'speciality' tool part. Just don't need to mess with many roll pins..

Patrolman
March 1st, 2011, 05:27 PM
Tackled another maintenance item today. It used to BUCK like crazy in 1st gear at idle, or in 4-lo without really being on the gas. You could coast along in 2nd gear at idle, as well as any other higher gear. I thought it was the AFM, but when I pulled off the tube between the AFM and intake manifold, it fell apart into 4 different pieces and had a huge tear. Had a spare and replaced it. Works like a charm now! Put it into 4-low and it will crawl along at idle, even with my foot on the brake.

RockGrinder
March 9th, 2011, 02:07 AM
I am curious now as to how it would look when you are finished Jeff. In the mean time, I hope not cause any trouble by this, ( I was bored, yet again, and couldn't sleep. lol) but I thought it would be fun to make another rendering of your van on my own paint program to see how it would turn out and test myself to see what I could do with it. So here it is..........(thought it would be kinda funny too!!):jiggy:

Patrolman
March 9th, 2011, 12:57 PM
MUCH better job than mine! Mine looks fugly with my non-paint skills. The front bumper is all plastic and foam. I intend on having it sit more or less flush with the headlights, maybe hanging out an inch or two. Trying to make the approach angle a bit better since that is about the worst part of the capabilities. Your smiley lights certainly look better than my POS ones!

RockGrinder
March 10th, 2011, 01:40 AM
Yeah, but wouldn't the approach angle be increased if you lifted it a little more, or would that make it too easy for it to tip over???

Patrolman
March 10th, 2011, 10:32 AM
I plan on lifting it just a tiny bit (about 1") to clear some slightly larger tires. I also wanted to try to get rid of some of the hideous bumper hanging way out front. This thing has the worst approach angle you could imagine. I need to get a good side shot to show it.

RockGrinder
March 10th, 2011, 01:08 PM
I know what you mean, as I have seen these vans from the side before and there is at least 2 ft of front end going past the front tires.

Patrolman
June 4th, 2011, 01:07 PM
I hadn't done anything to the van in a while. Been simply driving it as-is. I did get the Samurai rims with the slightly larger summer tires on. Today I took on the task of replacing the fuel sending unit. Previous one never worked. I unplugged the old and tested the new before actually swapping them. Job took about an hour, and works like a charm. I had tried to run it as low on fuel as possible, and sure enough, the "get fuel" light was on when I put in the new unit!

The funny part about dropping the tank, is there was about 10-15 pounds of dirt/sand between the bottom of the tank and the carrier/skid. It was about 1 inch thick all across the bottom. There was almost as much sand/dirt on top of the tank as well! Since the van is now 15 pounds lighter, it should have tons more power. ;)

Patrolman
June 4th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Yeah. I thought about that before. Only downfall with these is they are uni-body. Never intended to have a solid axle. I don't know that anyone has done a SAS. The only major lift on one was still IFS as seen here:

http://www.offroadfabnet.com/forums/showthread.php?p=78333

Mesomelas
June 4th, 2011, 08:27 PM
I bought a 86 toyota pick-up (for parts for my 83 project), and i have a set of solid axles for sale :D will take some fab work, but think of the possiblities...

How much?