PDA

View Full Version : My New Truck 2005 4Runner Build

Pages : [1] 2

Chris
October 8th, 2010, 06:23 PM
Okay, it's official and parked in the garage. 2005 4Runner, a real princess runner. :lmao:

Pics to come. :thumb:

Brad
October 8th, 2010, 06:35 PM
:thumb:

Funrover
October 8th, 2010, 07:10 PM
:pics::pics::pics:

scout man
October 8th, 2010, 07:23 PM
:pics::pics::pics:

AccordRanger
October 8th, 2010, 07:42 PM
:pics::pics::pics::pics::pics::pics::pics:

Chris
October 8th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Okay, I guess I need to post some pics. :lmao:

Robert B
October 8th, 2010, 08:14 PM
where did the Toy emblem go in the grill ???? or is it just some how in shadow .....and this is just me but plain white? nice truck though :D

Rob
October 8th, 2010, 08:19 PM
And, for a little variety: (argh! too late!)

Chris
October 8th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Yeah, I need an emblem!

I like white, one of the few colors that doesn't have different color flares which I despise. Also doesn't show dirt and scratches like black does.

Yes, it needs some mods. :erm:

scout man
October 8th, 2010, 08:28 PM
I dont know, I think those two trucks look really nice sitting side by side in the driveway!!

CR
October 8th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Wow, cool truck Chris!
Looks a little short though....:)

AccordRanger
October 8th, 2010, 09:33 PM
Looks good!

Roo
October 8th, 2010, 09:40 PM
Congrats! I am going to ask again. Does it have a lift on it? The front looks like it is sitting higher than most 4R's

Chris
October 8th, 2010, 09:50 PM
I've been told by others that looked at it that it looks like it does have a lift, I really don't know though Reese. There's a lot more about this truck that I don't know than I do know. I'll learn more tomorrow when we take it out for some mild wheeling and get the feel for it.

It's too nice really and has never been off road so it's time for us to introduce it to how it's supposed to be used. ;)

Rob
October 8th, 2010, 09:59 PM
It's too nice really and has never been off road so it's time for us to introduce it to how it's supposed to be used.

T33-A beckons.

Chris
October 8th, 2010, 10:01 PM
Just asked on that thread Rob...

1freaky1
October 9th, 2010, 03:02 AM
Nice ride there Chris! Although it seems more fitting to Barb than you!:thumb:

Brody
October 9th, 2010, 04:40 AM
From the sides it looks like it has a lift, although a mild one, but if you look at the back it doesn't. Nice looking rig. I have been doing some work on a 2005 4 Runner that belongs to another friend of mine who lives by me. He has done (or has had me do) some simple, but effective upgrades to it. Like most anything else, he upgraded to a better muffler and CAT along with an after market intake. He then went with about a 4" lift using Camberg Racing A arms , coil overs and shocks in the front and matching junk in the rear. I think he is currently running 33s.

I also did the body lift on Gile's 2006 4Runner which gave it a nice bit of ride height and clearance...

They are nice rigs.

Funrover
October 9th, 2010, 08:00 AM
Nice rig! I can already see the Expedition set up starting on that. An RTT , bumper, etc. Then the FJ62 seems more rock ready haha

JeffX
October 9th, 2010, 08:11 AM
Looks in great shape. Was it expensive? Will you SAS it?

Chris
October 9th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Thnaks guys, I'll have to get together with you Pete and maybe see your friends. It does have the sealed tranny you warned me about. One of a couple potential buyers wants to RTT Aaron so I'm not sure what's ahead. New tires are tops on the list. SAS is not on the short list but time will tell. As far as cost we go we did well, about dealer auction price which is looking to be about 5k under dealer retail. Too good a deal to pass up.

Yes, it does look more suitable to Barb than me which is why she's been named "Princess" ;)

Roostercruiser
October 9th, 2010, 09:58 AM
purdy nice truck

WINKY
October 9th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Yes, it does look more suitable to Barb than me which is why she's been named "Princess" ;)

that "princess" is gonna be a dirty girl soon.... just sayin.... :lmao:

Jackie
October 9th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Very pretty! Looks too nice to take off road! Congrats on a great lookin' truck.

Smash
October 9th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Very pretty! Congratulations! Can't wait to hear how she did today.

Chris
October 9th, 2010, 06:17 PM
I wasn't disappointed on her maiden run up Argentine/Waldorf area today. She's got some pinstripes, bent the passenger running board but There's a disappointing lack of dirt. :frown:

Chose the trail since that was the first we took the old truck on. I would have been disappointed if we didn't make it up the steep hill above the Waldorf townsite but we did. Not the leisurely drive it is the the Cruiser but she made it, street tires and all.

Chris
October 9th, 2010, 06:57 PM
The only bad part of today was when I spied a truck in the rear view and pulled over to watch it pass. It was a red '88 FJ62, 100% stock, Barb says she's never seen me react with such sentimentality before. :redface:

Some pics so someday I can look back at this truck the same way.

AccordRanger
October 9th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Alright! Glad to hear she did good.

I wasn't disappointed on her maiden run up Argentine/Waldorf area today. She's got some pinstripes, bent the passenger running board but There's a disappointing lack of dirt. :frown:

Chose the trail since that was the first we took the old truck on. I would have been disappointed if we didn't make it up the steep hill above the Waldorf townsite but we did. Not the leisurely drive it is the the Cruiser but she made it, street tires and all.

Now that it's got pinstripes you can brag to other runners at the mall (just make sure to say it was from the tree in the parking lot):lmao: , and the running board is a sign they need to go!:D

Chris
October 9th, 2010, 07:11 PM
I'm sure any number of people today said "there's an old guy getting off the pavement for the first time in his life." :lmao:

I won't speculate on what the young guys running built trucks on 35's were saying. ;)

Brad
October 9th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Great pics! Good to see you were not taking it too easy on her!:thumb:

wyota
October 9th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Nice Chris! :thumb:

Brody
October 9th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Wow, the voice from down under speaks out....

When are ya'll gonna post up some shots with a tall Texas lady and you with your boyohboy hat and shitkickers on?

And no offense to Texans, shitkickers, or boyohboy hats. I have everything but the Texan, though when I rodayod, I usually wore a gimme hat just to PO the folks who took cowboy stuff to the point of looking like Halloween.....made for some interesting times as then I was the only boyohboy with hair down past his shoulders....

Jackie
October 9th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Pete - you crack me up with almost every post!:lmao::p:thumb::smokin:

scout man
October 9th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Hey Chris, I followed a whilte toyota 4Runner down the street tonight. Was it you? :D Time to get some giant FR stickers on there so we have a chance of picking you out!! Maybe its time for some of those mountain stickers in Red!

Looks like you didnt take it too easy on her today! Well done!

Chris
October 9th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Must have been me Steve, there aren't many white 4Runners around! :lmao:

I do have a white w/s sticker in the garage, Aaron has the rest.

I did take it easy on Princess, you know I'm a poser. ;)

Funrover
October 9th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Glad to see you went out and had fun... So what's on the short list now?

Pathrat
October 9th, 2010, 10:52 PM
That is so cool I love that you took it out with the temp tag still on it! What kind of tires are on it? There is only one mod that should be at the top of your list: a new Front Range decal!
I thought your new rig was going to be an FJC since it is more cushy and Barb likes them. Good choice on the one you did get.

Gate Monkey
October 9th, 2010, 10:59 PM
Great Rig! Glad you had fun with it on your first run

Rob
October 9th, 2010, 11:04 PM
I won't speculate on what the young guys running built trucks on 35's were saying.

You need a sticker that says "My other rig is a built FJ62!" :thumb:

Looking good, Chris. Let the mods begin. (PS: The bling wheels look familiar.:smokin:)

Brody
October 10th, 2010, 04:57 AM
I thought your new rig was going to be an FJC since it is more cushy and Barb likes them. Good choice on the one you did get.

These are very, very plush, Stephanie. I couldn't tell much of an interior difference between these and the new Land Cruiser.

1freaky1
October 10th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Good to see it wheeling, I do not remember those big rocks in the tree area which part of the trail is that on?

Chris
October 10th, 2010, 09:29 AM
It's very similar to the FJC Stephanie, I did consider them but Barb loved this one. We were headed to BV and I stopped to look at an FJ80 on our way out of Denver. Barb was appalled I thought it had possibilities and said "Let's buy the 4Runner" which was way nicer than anything I was looking at. The similarities are the mechanicals rather than cosmetics. It wants to do a lot of stuff for me that I don't really understand yet. Lots of features that have buttons and initials that make the truck do things that make odd noises. :erm:

It's got some kind of Cooper street tires on it. The dealership swapped them on after taking it on trade. Definitely not trail tires. The short list is sliders, armor, lift & tires but those all will probably have to wait until we come up with some cash since this put a dent in our finances.

Aaron
October 10th, 2010, 09:30 AM
I could run the stickers down to you today if you want to do your first mod!

Chris
October 10th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Good to see it wheeling, I do not remember those big rocks in the tree area which part of the trail is that on?

There's a Y not far before reaching the townsite, the left is pretty mild, the right pretty rocky which is what you're seeing.

Chris
October 10th, 2010, 10:11 AM
I could run the stickers down to you today if you want to do your first mod!

No hurry Aaron, I have to polish the pinstripes off first. :lmao:

The short list mat also include re- gearing. I think I used the brakes more yesterday than I have on the Cruiser all year. :eek:

Pathrat
October 10th, 2010, 02:49 PM

These are very, very plush, Stephanie. I couldn't tell much of an interior difference between these and the new Land Cruiser.

Much plusher than the FJC for sure! I mean the FJC is probably plusher than an 88 FJ :)

Chris
October 10th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Here's a tidbit for you Pathrat - The 4Runner is built on the "Landcruiser 120" platform, which is used on the Prado, Tacoma, GX 470 and FJC.

Patrolman
October 10th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Nice ride Chris! Glad that it does what you want! :)

Steven_Mc
October 11th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Looks like a nice ride! If I were ever to start over, a 4runner would definitely be top consideration! Perfect for wheeling and hauling the family!

southpaws3
October 11th, 2010, 09:18 AM
:frown:nice ride but i don't see to good ,the paint is pretty shinny white ,too glossy ,my head is hurting, truck too new, purdy, wow need a drink and get out of the sun
PLEASE TAKE IT TO BRODY SO HE CAN FIX IT ASAP hahahahahaha !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GREAT JOB YOU TWO ENJOY

Smash
October 11th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Man, that does look nice out in the rock!!

Looks like a magazine ad....

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15244&stc=1&d=1286672217

sunk
October 11th, 2010, 11:28 AM
I like it!

I couldnt tell from the pics if it has a lift or not. We own an 03' runner, I put a 3" lift on it from Slee offroad, it was Old man Emu coilovers for the front and shocks and springs for the rear. All in all I am pretty dissapointed in the lift, it changed the cv joint angles and A arm angles, now Im worried about premature failure of the suspension components.

If I was to spend that money again I would look into Fabtechs 4" lift. Here is the link: http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kits-Suspensions-and-Shocks/4-inch-Spindle-Lift-Kit-with-Performance-Shocks.aspx?t_c=1&t_s=38&t_pt=5491&t_pl=1906&t_pn=FABKIT114

Then agian If I had 10k to blow I would go all out and do a bracket lift kit....

Haku
October 11th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Then agian If I had 10k to blow I would go all out and do a solid axle swap with link suspension...

hahaa......fixed that for you :p

Chris
October 11th, 2010, 01:08 PM
SAS is not in the forseeable future Josh. Adam, what can you tell me about the FabTech kit?

I've been doing some research on lifts but my lack of understanding of IFS implications isn't helping me figure out which is better than another. I do plan on running 33's if practical so a lift is certainly needed.

Any insight is appreciated!

Roo
October 11th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Chris you probably already found this http://www.toyota-4runner.org should have more info than you can handle. Basically you will have to go with longer coils in the rear with a longer shock and a new coilover setup in the front. Anything over 3" will probably create too much of an angle on your front CV's. There are a couple of manufacturers that make 6" lifts for the FJ but they don't show anything for the 4R on their websites. I have the Toytec adjustable coilovers on mine with Toytec Custom Coils on the rear with ProComp shocks. I like it and I believe that same setup will work on the yours. If I had it to do over though I would probalby spend the extra $$ and get the ICON full suspension setup. Another issue you might run into that is a problem with the FJ is once you go up 3" it is impossible to get the alignment back into spec completely without buying a set of aftermarket upper control arms. I don't have any but wish I did as mine tend to wonder a bit on the highway sometimes and I think that would correct it. Also sometimes a wider tire will rub the factory upper control arms as well requiring you to go to an aftermarket setup. Some manufacturers of those are ICON, Light Racing, Camburg, and Total Chaos.

On another note I have a Toyota Emblem off the back of my FJ you can have. Not sure it will fit in your grill hole or not I will dig it out and measure the diameter and get back to you.

Chris
October 11th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Thanks Reese, I've been leaning towards Icon since it appears to be a solid setup. Still plenty of reading to do on both http://www.toyota-4runner.org and http://www.toyota120.com, not sure which I like better but there's too much out there. Yes, the 4Runner & FJC are the same platform so are eery similar from all I've been reading.

If your emblem is the same I'd rather pay you for it than the dealer. ;)

Haku
October 11th, 2010, 02:45 PM
SAS is not in the forseeable future Josh. Adam, what can you tell me about the FabTech kit?

I've been doing some research on lifts but my lack of understanding of IFS implications isn't helping me figure out which is better than another. I do plan on running 33's if practical so a lift is certainly needed.

Any insight is appreciated!

hahaa........I know :lmao:. It was in reference to the "if you were gonna throw $10k at it" comment. I would definitely throw that kind of money at a solid axle setup like the one that Scotty did on his, rather then the IFS upgrade.

I think for what you want out of this rig, a mild lift and some bigger tires, sliders and maybe a bumper that can carry a winch and protect the front end will do you nicely. That will get you on any of the trails I have seen you run so far.

As for the ICON setup, I was very impressed with it on Todd's (Wyota) rig. It had a great combo of on road and off road handling. I bet it cornered better then stock, but soaked up the bumps offroad too. Definitely a plus one from me on going with that.

Roo
October 11th, 2010, 02:52 PM
If your emblem is the same I'd rather pay you for it than the dealer

You don't have to pay me anything for it if it's the right one. It is 4" wide by 2-3/4" tall (chrome of course). My wife has a 4th Gen 4runner too but I think hers is bigger than this one. But her grill is different than yours. Measure your space and get back to me.

Chris
October 11th, 2010, 05:29 PM
You're right Josh, I'd love to turn it over to Scotty with a blank check but that's not going to happen. Sliders, lift, bigger tires and I'll be happy. I don't have any need to run Spring Creek type runs, Wheeler Lake is more my speed.

Thanks Reese, I,m trying to find my tape measure!

Chris
October 11th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Wrong size Reese, thanks for the offer anyway!

Rob
October 11th, 2010, 07:30 PM

Basically you will have to go with longer coils in the rear with a longer shock and a new coilover setup in the front. Anything over 3" will probably create too much of an angle on your front CV's.

I have a similar setup, with Light Racing coilovers up front and OME in the back. I worry a little about my CVS, so at some point I plan to do a diff drop up front. I imagine you can do the same, which should lessen the angle a bit.

Chris
October 11th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Diff drop? So much I've never heard of!

Roo
October 11th, 2010, 09:16 PM
Wrong size Reese, thanks for the offer anyway!

Oh well, I tried. I will never put it back on the FJ so if anyone else wants it let me know.

Roo
October 11th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Diff drop? So much I've never heard of!

Yep Toytec sells one. I think it's about $20 and it drops the front diff down an inch to decrease the angle of the C.V.'s from the lift install. The downside is your diff is now an inch closer to the rocks. Then if you have a skid plate you have to put spacers on it too to accomodate the new lower diff. Kind of all counter productive if you ask me. My C.V's were leaking a little from the steep angles so I went to West Marine and bought some hose clamps that have rolled edges on them. Cut off the factory clamps and put those on and my C.V's no longer leak at all.

Oh the joys of IFS!

Rob
October 11th, 2010, 09:39 PM
My C.V's were leaking a little from the steep angles so I went to West Marine and bought some hose clamps that have rolled edges on them. Cut off the factory clamps and put those on and my C.V's no longer leak at all.

Sounds like something I need to do. Thanks for the info, Reese.

Roo
October 11th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Sounds like something I need to do. Thanks for the info, Reese.

Mine were only leaking around the small end of the outer boot. The store in Highlands Ranch had to order them for me but you can also order them online if you don't want to drive all the way down there.

Here are the part #'s

Small clamp = 9347410
Large clamp = 9347493

I ordered 4 of each part number even though I only used 2 of the small ones to fix my leaks. I bought the rest for trail repairs if necessary or if the other ends start leaking. It was less than $20 for all 8.

I wish I could take credit for the info but Bandi posted this on FJCForums.com

Highjack over

wyota
October 11th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Hay Chris for what its worth i'm running icons with Camburg UCA's and i love them, they have held up grate for me and you've seen how i wheel. Here's where i got them http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/03updonahoe4runner.htm that link is for the set you would need:thumb: i just sold a set of wheels to a guy down here and he's running a 3'' lift and clearing 33's. he had to trim the pinch weld but other than that they seem to fit fine. were going wheeling this weekend i'll get back to you on whether or not more trimming is needed. here's a pic, it's not the same year but it's white :)
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff230/ddotdrawdoow/photo.jpg

Patrolman
October 11th, 2010, 10:41 PM
Welcome to IFS Chris! If you haven't looked at them yet, check out Total Chaos Fabrication. They basically just build Toyota IFS stuff. Take a peek at this:
http://www.chaosfab.com/86000.php

And another link to more parts/prices
http://www.chaosfab.com/toyaccess_05taco.html

Chris
October 12th, 2010, 09:15 AM
i just sold a set of wheels to a guy down here and he's running a 3'' lift and clearing 33's. he had to trim the pinch weld but other than that they seem to fit fine. were going wheeling this weekend i'll get back to you on whether or not more trimming is needed. here's a pic, it's not the same year but it's white :)

Thanks Todd! I remember checking out your setup and know how your truck does which may be why I'm liking the Icon line. I look forward to hearing back on how that Runner wheels, always nice to hear from someone who's not the owner to get an honest report. Most of the info I'm finding is people reporting on how great their trucks are only to find they're running on dirt roads. :lmao:

Patrolman
October 12th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Since your ride shares a lot of similarities with the Tacoma, thought I would mention this. I read a bit in a mag today where a guy is going to put Tundra front CV's in his Tacoma. Didn't say why. Strength maybe? Flexibility maybe? Also, you may want to look into locking hubs. One of the best mods I made on my 2nd gen 4Runner. Run them open or locked on the street without issues. A slight bit better mileage on-road and less wear/tear.

Chris
October 12th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Thanks Jeff, I'll check it out but sounds like it may be a good idea.

wyota
October 12th, 2010, 10:24 PM
I think the tundra CV's are longer, the long travel kit i'm looking at requires tundra CV's and it's 3.5'' wider per side, so unless the newer 4runners are wider than the 98-04 taco's i dont think they will work. unless you go long travel.

AccordRanger
October 12th, 2010, 10:32 PM
Since your ride shares a lot of similarities with the Tacoma, thought I would mention this. I read a bit in a mag today where a guy is going to put Tundra front CV's in his Tacoma. Didn't say why. Strength maybe? Flexibility maybe? Also, you may want to look into locking hubs. One of the best mods I made on my 2nd gen 4Runner. Run them open or locked on the street without issues. A slight bit better mileage on-road and less wear/tear.

I think I read somewhere that the people who use tundra CV's, also use the control arms, hubs, etc.

Brody
October 13th, 2010, 05:06 AM
My friend Eric is running the same set up as Todd: Icons and Camberg A Arms. Many people go with the Camberg A arms due to the huge ball joint on the top part. Similar to the Total Chaos A arms, just with a much bigger and stronger ball joint. He has been very happy with his set up.

Chris
October 13th, 2010, 07:46 AM
Thanks folks, I'm in the process of determining what lift I have now. As is the usual case desires exceeds cash and with my crappy tires I'll probably have to go with tires before any more lift if I hope to stay on the road this winter.

sunk
October 13th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Chris, with the 3" lift I have I can clear a set of 285/75/16 tires with minimal rub on the fenders which are plastic and dont really damage anything. The problem with the lift I have is that the upper A arm wont clear the taller tires so I had to aquire a wheel with a different backspacing, or another suggestion was to run spacers...I wanted new wheels. (r16x7.5" with a 4.5" backspacing) The fabtech lift offered a new spindle (I think thats what they call it, the arm that mounts between the upper and lower A arms) and would correct the A arm problem and the CV joint angle.

I know that the 3rd gen 4 runner lifts (like ours) are completly different form 2nd gen lifts. If you would like we could meet up and Ill show you my lift, so that you have a better idea of the problems Im having.

Chris
October 13th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the info and offer Adam, I'm going to determine what I have before doing anything else.

96blkbeauty
October 13th, 2010, 10:00 PM
New rig looks good! Its nice having a DD that isn't your main wheeler. Only problem is casually your new DD becomes your 2nd wheeler. Then things start getting real expensive. LOL

Rob
October 13th, 2010, 11:07 PM
Its nice having a DD that isn't your main wheeler.

At least until he sells Emily. :frown:

Brody
October 14th, 2010, 04:42 AM
Only problem is casually your new DD becomes your 2nd wheeler.

Not I....my DD is now a 98 Cherokee. It may see a dirt road or snow. I already have a wheeler and have already built up and wheeled a couple of Cherokees. I only need one wheeler....

Chris
October 14th, 2010, 09:53 PM
My new discovery is that I have OME 884 springs on front which w/o an aftermarket bumper/winch appears to provide about 3" lift. I haven't figured out the rear yet but they're probably 4 or 5" over since the 4Runner normally is an inch higher in the front and mine is an inch higher that the back.

Wonder if I can fit 285's?

Rob
October 14th, 2010, 09:57 PM
Seems like you should be able to. What size are your rims? 17?

With 285/75/16's on the FJC, I had to have a body chop in the front to prevent rubbing, but I didn't have to cut anything else. And the wheels have some backspacing.

Roo
October 14th, 2010, 09:59 PM
That's what most people run on the FJC after doing that lift. What size tires/rims are on it now? 265/70/17? Sometimes on the FJ the body mounts will rub the tires and people have them trimmed. Jock runs 285/70/17 on his with no rub and no trimming. I think Rob runs 285/75/16's on his but I can't remember if his body mounts are chopped or not.

Chris
October 14th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Yes, 17" Rob. It's nice to know what I have something like a 3-4" lift. I'm still researching numbers but finding a tag on the fronts made it easy.

Rob
October 14th, 2010, 10:05 PM
I just looked at photos from the side again. Doesn't look like you have much room around the fenders.

Rob
October 14th, 2010, 10:06 PM
I think Rob runs 285/75/16's on his but I can't remember if his body mounts are chopped or not.

See post right before yours, Reese. Right size and mine is chopped a bit and capped.

Chris
October 14th, 2010, 10:10 PM
So Rob, do 4Runners &. FJC's have the same bolt pattern?

Chris
October 14th, 2010, 10:12 PM
That's what most people run on the FJC after doing that lift. What size tires/rims are on it now? 265/70/17? Sometimes on the FJ the body mounts will rub the tires and people have them trimmed. Jock runs 285/70/17 on his with no rub and no trimming. I think Rob runs 285/75/16's on his but I can't remember if his body mounts are chopped or not.

Yes Reese, I have 265/70/17's now. I'm guessing 285's might fit.

Rob
October 14th, 2010, 11:49 PM
Yes. Same hubs. 6 x 5.5 bolt pattern. You want to test fit my BFGs on it? I'll be headed southish Saturday to get Steph's coilover wrenches back to her. I could pop by. Or are you going on the Mosquito Pass run?

Brody
October 15th, 2010, 06:55 AM
Sometimes on the FJ the body mounts will rub the tires and people have them trimmed. Jock runs 285/70/17 on his with no rub and no trimming. I think Rob runs 285/75/16's on his but I can't remember if his body mounts are chopped or not.

I have done this on 4 of these so far (on newer 4Runners) and it isn't a big deal, either time wise or brain damage wise. On two of these, I did a radius and cap on the body mount so that it looked like a stock feature by the time I was through. This is almost a must do for most oversized tires. I didn't even have to take the tires off to do either side.

Chris
October 15th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Yes. Same hubs. 6 x 5.5 bolt pattern. You want to test fit my BFGs on it? I'll be headed southish Saturday to get Steph's coilover wrenches back to her. I could pop by. Or are you going on the Mosquito Pass run?

I'm going on the run tomorrow Rob but I may want to hook up some time to give them a try.

Pathrat
October 15th, 2010, 08:57 PM
I had some rubbing when I ran the Firestone MT's, primarily during tight turns and flexing obstacles. I didn't rub much using the ATs. The first thing I did was yank off the front mudflaps. That took care of most of the noise.

Chris
October 15th, 2010, 09:19 PM
If I understood what I read and if it's accurate the 4Runner has a smaller turning radius than the FJC which may mean I would get more rubbing. On the other hand it appears 33's are frequently run on a couple inches of lift.

Too much info on this inter web sometimes. :confused:

Brody
October 16th, 2010, 07:06 AM
Remind me when you see me again that I have a few magazine articles for you. One deals with the differences of wheeling an IFS vs a straight axle rig rig and is very informative. Another one is about a group of FJCs that ran the Hammer trail in Cali and lists all the mods made to the individual rigs, the pros and cons of the mods based on the driver's perspective, and lists what the driver's wanted based on the run up the hammers. As these were all IFS rigs, with the exception of All Pro's SAS FJC, this article is very informative also. Since the undercarriage/frame/base platform is very similar to what the new 4Runners have, it will give you a very good idea of where you need to go with mods for your new heap, as well as driver/owner input as to what actually worked and what didn't.

Chris
October 16th, 2010, 07:25 AM
Sounds good Pete, thanks!

wyota
October 18th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Hay Chris, i just got back from a toyota event in marble falls TX mostly FJ's ( if any one wants to check it out http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/texas/117462-wtf-2010-pictars.html) and met a guy that had a four runner the same gen. as yours. he's running 285/70/17 with a 3'' lift Camburg/icon up front and icon rear. He really liked the setup and has no rubbing issues. i wheeled with him and it did very well. here are a few pic's. don't know if this helps but i know i couldn't find enough pic's when i was looking for lifts for my rig
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff230/ddotdrawdoow/WTF%202010/8-9751.jpg
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff230/ddotdrawdoow/WTF%202010/8-9752.jpg
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff230/ddotdrawdoow/WTF%202010/IMG_0116.jpg
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff230/ddotdrawdoow/WTF%202010/IMG_0115.jpg

Rob
October 18th, 2010, 10:52 PM
Nice pics, Todd. I see you joined the blue room. What'll the neighbors think, you wheelin' with a bunch of FJC-owning Texans? :lmao:

Don't know if you met Nick or not (the camo'd, nicely setup FJC), but he's the guy who sold me the winch bumper for my Cruiser.

Mporter
October 18th, 2010, 10:57 PM
That 4runner looks sick.

wyota
October 18th, 2010, 11:12 PM
ya i did meet nick, he's a way cool dude!

RockyMtnHigh
October 19th, 2010, 01:08 AM
What'll the neighbors think, you wheelin' with a bunch of FJC-owning Texans? :lmao:.

Easy there you old mountain hippie, there are a few of us (me) that are damn proud of our Texas upbringing, might find yourself dangling from a pine tree! :eek::lmao:

Brad
October 19th, 2010, 06:23 AM
Is it just me, or does the guy in the orange shirt look cut off at the knee's? :erm::D

Brody
October 19th, 2010, 06:48 AM
Hey, hey, hey....play nice Brad! The guy in the orange shirt is only 3'11" tall and is a bit sensitive about it....

Chris
October 19th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Thanks Todd, I decoded to stay with the lift the PO installed for now. Looks like just OME springs and everything else is stock. I have the X-REAS shock set up and was concerned they weren't compatible until a lead tech at Toyota said it's fine. The bad news is I'm way overdue for a timing belt so money that could be spent elsewhere won't be.

Brad
October 19th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Hey, hey, hey....play nice Brad! The guy in the orange shirt is only 3'11" tall and is a bit sensitive about it....

Sorry :erm: ;)

Brad
October 19th, 2010, 09:38 AM
Thanks Todd, I decoded to stay with the lift the PO installed for now. Looks like just OME springs and everything else is stock. I have the X-REAS shock set up and was concerned they weren't compatible until a lead tech at Toyota said it's fine. The bad news is I'm way overdue for a timing belt so money that could be spent elsewhere won't be.

Planning on doing it yourself? I can help if you like. I gots tools! :D

Chris
October 19th, 2010, 09:43 AM
Due to my current back condition which has me very limited in what I can do I'm going to have to hire someone. I am more than willing to keep the money I have to spend in the club though. Can I get a bidding war going? :D

Brad
October 19th, 2010, 09:47 AM
I work on members vehicles for free Chris. If you want to help a person in need
with money though I will step aside. :thumb:

Chris
October 19th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Others can vouch for me that I believe in paying when I'm saving cash. ;)

Brad
October 19th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Others can vouch for me that I believe in paying when I'm saving cash. ;)

Huh? :confused:

RockyMtnHigh
October 19th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Can I get a bidding war going? :D

I think free takes it Chris!

As long as I am not standing in the middle of a river or planning to I will be glad to come by and help also, I think it's about time we finally meet anyway!:thumb:

Chris
October 19th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Am I too cryptic again? What I'm trying to say is that if someone works for free and saves me cash they get paid. ;)

Maybe we can have a timing belt party Jock!

Brad
October 19th, 2010, 12:00 PM
I like timing belt parties. Beer, pizza and hopefully it runs afterwards! :eek:

j/k :D

RockyMtnHigh
October 19th, 2010, 12:09 PM
hopefully it runs afterwards! :eek:

LMAO!!! I learned the hard way, anyone wrenching doesn't get to partake in the beer until we're done.

Maybe we can have a timing belt party Jock!

Sounds good to me Chris!

sunk
October 19th, 2010, 01:21 PM
That 4 runner is cool, but I think it doesnt rub on the fender cause he has an aftermarket bumper, also he is running 285/70/16 and Im running 285/75/16...

Chris, my understanding is that the 4 runner doesnt have a timing belt....? When I purchased ours, the engine ticked, I asked the tech at Toyota and He said that was fairly normal for that engine, he also said there was no timing belt to replace at 100k. I cant remeber exactly how he explained it........anybody know?

scout man
October 19th, 2010, 01:26 PM
my rig doesnt have a timing chain - its all direct gear-type linkage. dont know anything about them 'yotas though.

RockyMtnHigh
October 19th, 2010, 01:50 PM
the engine ticked, I asked the tech at Toyota and He said that was fairly normal for that engine,

As far as the tick, yes it's normal. My wife has an 05 Tacoma and my 08 FJC does it, which are the same motors as whats in the 4Runner.

It didn't damn on me until now (duh) that you're talking about the 4Runner, is that what it's doing, ticking?

RockyMtnHigh
October 19th, 2010, 01:57 PM
If it is the ticking sound, here's a thread over on the FJC forum about it and how to minimize it:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/engine-performance/17848-fix-tapping-idle.html

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/how-technical-articles/41859-tapping-idle-fix-w-pics.html

Chris
October 19th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Adam, that strikes me as odd since I'm not aware of any 'modern' Toyota not using a timing belt. My FJ62 is gear driven so maybe the v6 is too vs v8 I have.

Like Jock says the 4Runner, Tacoma & FJC are the same basic truck and I'm trusting the lead tech & service director at Toyota know what they're talking about.

I will be checking though!

Brad
October 19th, 2010, 02:23 PM
According to rockauto.com they do sell timing belt kits for the V8.

Do you have a service manual for it yet chris? I have a line on a free one.

Looks like the water pump is driven by it as well. Rockauto sells a kit with it included
There is also a balance shaft belt seperate.

Chris
October 19th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Free is good Brad! I have some PDF's only rght now.

The water pumps are good these days and unless mine looks bad will use it still. I will replace all the belts since they'll be off already. There's also a front seal that should be replaced at the same time.

Chris
October 19th, 2010, 03:14 PM
According to rockauto.com

I'll get Toyota parts at my usual discount through the body shop.

Brad
October 19th, 2010, 03:43 PM
I'll get Toyota parts at my usual discount through the body shop.

I was not insinuating you should buy through them. Just using them as a reference. :thumb:

Chris
October 19th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Thanks Brad, too occupied with other stuff to really pay attention. :redface:

Chris
November 5th, 2010, 03:07 PM
This should be the shortest build thread here since for all practical purposes I'm done. ;)

Thanks to Pete for the armor he added including sliders, gas tank skid, dif skid, control arm skids. The only other change from stock was going to 285's which required spacers and a bit of front fender trimming. I don't think any of this needs explanation beyond a few pics.

Of course I'm showing the love too ;)

Brad
November 5th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Nice Chris!
Pete is the man! Are those the Trail gear as well?

Fordguy77
November 5th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Looks good! So the mod itch is all scratched out for now?

Chris
November 5th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Nice Chris!
Pete is the man! Are those the Trail gear as well?

Nope, Pete Gear. I figured he could use the cash more than TG though I forgot to ask if he came out better by doing the whole shebang or not.

Looks good! So the mod itch is all scratched out for now?

Not really but the intended use has changed to more moderate trails, more x-country trips for a while. Eyeing popups to haul more than mods these days though I keep looking at bumpers & lifts & lockers & ... :rolleyes:

Pathrat
November 5th, 2010, 05:13 PM
Love those control arm skids! I have used mine a lot! Looks great Chris!

Brody
November 5th, 2010, 06:23 PM
Thanks!

Now Chris is going to have to send me the link for the tube front bumper he has been raving on about so that Sean and I can make him one!

Chris
November 5th, 2010, 07:08 PM
When I happen across a spare grand I'll let you know Pete! :lmao:

Funrover
November 6th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Coming along nice!

JeffX
November 7th, 2010, 07:02 AM
Good stuff. Do you have a picture of the front? It looks lifted. Nice tires!

Chris
November 7th, 2010, 09:02 AM
It's got a small lift, OME springs only. No pics right now, maybe someone got some yesterday on the JP/PR run. I have a bit of rubbing still but not too bad, I'll look into that today. Pete got the gas tank skid on in time because Barb bashed it real good, it did its job!

sunk
November 7th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Looks good! I would like to check it out first hand, one of the first times we took ours out I nailed the stock gas tank skid plate and I would like to get one a little heavier. And of course I would Like to check out those cool looking sliders!

Chris
November 7th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Any time Adam! Pete got a look at the gas tank skid today, he agreed we got it on just in time. :D

Robert B
November 9th, 2010, 12:42 PM
you need to change your signature chris to "- Sliders - Assorted Dented Skids":D:thumb:

Brock
November 11th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Glad you got the sliders on they look great!

BlackRubi
November 11th, 2010, 03:58 PM
The stickers add 10hp and 12 ft lbs of torque, right?

Roostercruiser
November 15th, 2010, 11:12 PM
Looking good Chris, now youll be easier to spot at the mall :lmao::lmao:

RockyMtnHigh
November 16th, 2010, 10:36 PM
He did a really nice job on all of it, but I really like the rear link armor!

Brody
November 17th, 2010, 05:20 AM
Thanks Jock!

Geez, I am really dimwitted sometimes (SHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...not a word...) I have been seeing Jock's avatar picture since he put it up and thinking 'fencing foils and a skull'....Ok, I guess.... I just now noticed that the 'fencing foils' were fly rods...:D

Chris
November 17th, 2010, 11:25 AM
:thumb: Thanks for pointing that out, I missed that too

Chris
September 11th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Again, thanks Pete for another great product and going above and beyond!

Pete finished my bumper today and was driven to get it done so we can leave town tomorrow. This is basically the same as Brad's (racing616) but as Pete found out there are enough differences to make it impossible to build from templates and it's probably as time-consuming as doing it from scratch.

I'm posting some crappy night garage pics because I plan on leaving on a road trip tomorrow after doing a bit of wiring. Painting will be done yet tonight.

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z470/cxstafford1/back.jpg

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z470/cxstafford1/backopen.jpg

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z470/cxstafford1/another.jpg

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z470/cxstafford1/left.jpg

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z470/cxstafford1/right.jpg

Thanks Pete! :thumb:

RidgeRunner
September 11th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Looks sweet!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Popsgarage
September 11th, 2011, 08:59 PM
Pete,s work looks pretty solid. I think I need to meet Pete.

Beefy
September 11th, 2011, 09:00 PM
Looks awesome! Great work as usual Pete!!

Heather
September 11th, 2011, 09:01 PM
I think I need to meet Pete.
He is the master at Brodyfab!

That looks GREAT, Chris! Wow!

Beefy
September 11th, 2011, 09:02 PM
That's a nice 48" hi lift on there too!:thumb:

Oh yea, looks good. :D Thanks again.

I just need to get one of those bar holdy thingies. :D

Popsgarage
September 11th, 2011, 09:10 PM
It looks to be so, which is why I believe I need to meet him. I ain't to shabby myself.

Michael4rnr
September 11th, 2011, 09:10 PM
Looks great Chris. Brody did a great job on it.

Rob
September 11th, 2011, 09:19 PM
Very nice. Have fun on your trip. :thumb:

Brody
September 12th, 2011, 04:25 AM
I just need to get one of those bar holdy thingies.

I may be able to help with that between what Chris is recycling and what I may have kicking around. Shoot me a PM.

Thanks for the compliments!

Looks like I put those stops in just the right place to keep the swing out from hitting Barb's car! Ditto on having a fun trip! Thanks for helping me try to find the "mystery noise" on my heap! Maybe i can find time to look for what is causing it this week...especially if Lenny doesn't want me to start jamming on the restaurant tables for him ASAP...:lmao:

I think I need to meet Pete.

You can't be all that far away. I am off of 62nd and Wadsworth.

mattzj98
September 12th, 2011, 05:37 AM
That looks awesome! Def. Won't mistake your toyota for any other now!

Brody
September 12th, 2011, 05:42 AM
Won't mistake your toyota for any other now!

HAHA....Chris told me about that!

Gotta admit that there are only a few white 4Runners kicking around.....:lmao:

Aaron
September 12th, 2011, 06:03 AM
Looks nice Chris. Have fun in AZ.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk

gm4x4lover
September 12th, 2011, 07:26 AM
Wow pete above the top again. I think you missed you calling as an enigneer. The way you build stuff and the little details you incorporate are over the top.

mattzj98
September 12th, 2011, 07:35 AM
I chased Chris down after seeing a flash of big white 4runner. Figured its gotta be Chris.. :)

Cr33p3r
September 12th, 2011, 07:35 AM
Looks good Chris, I like that gas can holder looks nice, clean and effective.

Mr6dwg
September 12th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Hey, that's kind of nice!!!

Brad
September 12th, 2011, 12:46 PM
great work as always Pete. Cannot wait until you build my bumper. :thumb:

Have fun on your trip, again! :D

Chris
September 18th, 2011, 11:01 PM
A quick update on this bumper. I didn't check today's mileage but I'll guess we're at 1500 miles this week under a variety of conditions. Freeway, dirt road, off-road, sand runs, mud and nasty teeth-rattling washboard and it's fine. No rattles, no vibration, no problems!

Brody
September 19th, 2011, 07:31 AM
Finishing the camera mount today or tomorrow...

Chris
September 19th, 2011, 04:56 PM
Finishing the camera mount today or tomorrow...

Great Pete, I'll be around all week at your convenience. It will be nice to wrap up the wiring with the addition of the camera. I leave for Utah in a week.

Brody
September 19th, 2011, 05:15 PM
All what week? I stopped by your house Saturday and there wasn't anyone around.

Chris
September 19th, 2011, 05:17 PM
We just got back from our 1 week road trip, one week from today we'll be gone for another week.

Brody
September 19th, 2011, 05:31 PM
Stop by noonish tomorrow or anytime Wednesday. I have to weld some mounting tabs on the back piece and some dress up stuff to do. Then drill and tap a couple of mounting holes in the bumper. Thursday I am doing a lower ball joint replacement in another 4 Runner and Friday some simple bumpers for Nick.

BigE
September 19th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Nice that looks great, I like the way he put your gas cans off to one side. Clean, enjoy it.

Chris
September 19th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Sounds good Pete, I'll see you noonish tomorrow!

Brody
September 20th, 2011, 05:00 AM
Should be ready to go.

Pathrat
September 21st, 2011, 09:40 PM
I just saw this...that is a freaking GREAT looking set up! Nice job!

Chris, what is your tank mounted to? I put mine a wood box and a strap, which is inconvenient, because although I have the mounting plate, I have nothing to mount it to.

Chris
September 21st, 2011, 09:45 PM
I have to wire up the backup camera tomorrow then I'll post pics of it painted and everything in place. Wait until you see the cool setup for the camera Pete built!

Stephanie, the tank is a basic "L" bracket that, no surprise, Pete built. I have a shelf platform that can be lifted up and have it bolted to that.

Pathrat
September 21st, 2011, 11:08 PM
Looking forward to that!

Brody
September 22nd, 2011, 07:28 AM
Hey Stephanie

I bent a very simple 'L' bracket out of flat stock and mounted the tank holder to that. This bolts down to the floor of 4 Runner and keeps the tank vertical so you don't have to remove it except to fill it. There are also mounts available to mount it to the right or left side step outs in the rear cargo compartment of the FJCs, but these are both pricy and ineffective as they mount the tank horizontally, making them pretty much worthless, unless you remove the tank every time you air up.

Where these mount really is dpendent on your storage needs and ease of access and use.

MelloYello
September 22nd, 2011, 09:21 AM
B.F.D.! All the way! Great job Pete.

fyi - (Broady, Fab, and Design) for those thinking of the other. :rolleyes:

Chris
September 22nd, 2011, 05:04 PM
Here are some shots of the finished BFD (Brody Fabrication & Design) bumper.

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z470/cxstafford1/4Runner/e24c6c61.jpg

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z470/cxstafford1/4Runner/00b616fb.jpg

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z470/cxstafford1/4Runner/bb49e751.jpg

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z470/cxstafford1/4Runner/81601fae.jpg

Cool backup camera mount

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z470/cxstafford1/4Runner/732cdf23.jpg

Nice view of the hitch ball from the camera

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z470/cxstafford1/4Runner/2a81f247.jpg

Last for Stephanie, this is my Powertank mount.

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z470/cxstafford1/4Runner/e9cdc5c6.jpg

Popsgarage
September 22nd, 2011, 09:10 PM
Good stuff, Pete.

Rob
September 22nd, 2011, 10:02 PM
Wow! Very nice.

Beefy
September 22nd, 2011, 10:20 PM
Wow! That is sweet!!

RockyMtnHigh
September 22nd, 2011, 11:30 PM
Wow! Very nice.

X2!

Brody
September 23rd, 2011, 04:39 AM
Thanks!

Chris
September 26th, 2011, 12:55 PM
BFD wrapped up my rear bumper as posted and next up is the front. I just abandoned my original plan after getting a killer deal on a Shrockworks front.

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z470/cxstafford1/4Runner/a7f817a7.jpg

It will need some BFD work but not much. It'll be a couple weeks til it's delivered and installed though.

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z470/cxstafford1/4Runner/ad5a4a2c.jpg

Mporter
September 26th, 2011, 01:05 PM
That looks pretty slick. Too bad the 60's dont have body lines that you can continue bumpers into.

Brad
September 26th, 2011, 01:52 PM
That looks sick Chris! :thumb:

Brody
September 26th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Those are nice bumpers, too.

Jackie
September 26th, 2011, 03:31 PM
I got the Schrockworks front as well. Saving $ for the rear bumper now. Looks nice!

EldoradoFJ60
September 26th, 2011, 05:49 PM
Looks good Chris!

Popsgarage
September 26th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Nice.

Beefy
September 26th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Sweet! :thumb:

Rob
September 26th, 2011, 08:47 PM
Niiice.

Chris
September 26th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Those are nice bumpers, too.

Thanks folks, I'm real happy with this score. Pretty much 1k under what the seller paid.

Pete, it was made wider for his flared fenders which is the major thing, a small tweak that may not be worth dealing with and that's probably it. It was on an '05 so it should bolt on. My dilemma now is whether or not to do a BL since I'm adding weight front and rear and will add a winch at some point.

scout man
September 26th, 2011, 09:59 PM
Pete, it was made wider for his flared fenders which is the major thing,
sounds like you need to put flared fenders on your list!!

Brody
September 27th, 2011, 04:45 AM
Since a huge number of people install body lifts for just that reason, especially on the newer 4Runners, and have had absolutely NO ISSUES with them, then that may be the way to go.

I have put quite a few body lifts on newer 4Runners and the only real PITA is installing the little bracket used to raise the radiator. There is also a minor fitment issue with the very front driver's side body mount on some 4Runners, but it is a minor problem and not consistent.

glacierpaul
September 27th, 2011, 05:14 AM
Looks great, need this on my Rubicon!

Ardent
September 27th, 2011, 07:56 AM
i love shrockworks bumpers! best on the market IMHO.

[There's no smiley for a knife through the heart....]

:D

Good find Chris!

Cr33p3r
September 27th, 2011, 08:40 AM
That is a sweet looking bumper Chris!

4runner freak
September 27th, 2011, 11:31 AM
[There's no smiley for a knife through the heart....]

:D

Here you go, Nate.
Not in the heart, but still. :P
http://www.clker.com/cliparts/B/b/d/c/s/q/stabbed-smiley-th.png

Chris
September 27th, 2011, 06:28 PM
After running Hell's Revenge today I can say the jerry cans do not hinder departure angles at all. The bumper is now Hell's Revenge tested and approved. :thumb:

A tiny spec of paint was lost on the outside rear corner. :eek:

Pathrat
September 27th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Looks great and of course, great functionality. Pete knows what he is doing.

Pathrat
September 27th, 2011, 09:21 PM
Pretty slick. Your rig is looking quite riggy these days. :thumb:.

Chris
September 28th, 2011, 07:51 AM
Since a huge number of people install body lifts for just that reason, especially on the newer 4Runners, and have had absolutely NO ISSUES with them, then that may be the way to go.

I have put quite a few body lifts on newer 4Runners and the only real PITA is installing the little bracket used to raise the radiator. There is also a minor fitment issue with the very front driver's side body mount on some 4Runners, but it is a minor problem and not consistent.

I have a 1" BL coming from Roger Brown :thumb:

Chris
September 28th, 2011, 09:10 AM
That's what I hope, should provide the bit of clearance I want and allow for good bumper mounting afterwards!

scout man
September 28th, 2011, 08:42 PM
I have a 1" on mine too. Enough to help a lot with clearancing things, but not enough to be obvious.

Chris
October 18th, 2011, 08:42 PM
I got word it was delivered today. Got it for 1/2 the new Shrockworks price. It's kind of bulky and overbuilt but will work well when it's modified as I have in mind. Then I'll add a winch and my truck will be "done."

There's your opening Rob! :lmao:

mattzj98
October 18th, 2011, 08:45 PM
That looks really good! how do you want to modify it?

Popsgarage
October 18th, 2011, 08:47 PM
That thing is sweet!:thumb::thumb::thumb: I take it you got it used?

Chris
October 18th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Yeah, got it used and the seller paid $380 to ship it to me, glad I offered a "delivered" price. :lmao:

Considering I haven't seen it yet (at my son-in-laws work) my thought is to thin the side from the center to the wings. It was modded to fit flared fenders so that has to be undone for sure. Mine doesn't have the tube around the headlights which is good since I think that's fugly.

Popsgarage
October 18th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Keep us posted on the progress.:thumb:

Rob
October 18th, 2011, 09:42 PM
Then I'll add a winch and my truck will be "done."

There's your opening Rob!

:lmao: I'll stick a fork in it next time I see you to see if it really is "done." My guess is that it'll still be moist. :thumb:

That's a pretty sweet bumper, though.

Popsgarage
October 18th, 2011, 09:55 PM
There's your opening Rob!

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Beefy
October 19th, 2011, 05:26 AM
Nice bumper!!

Michael4rnr
October 19th, 2011, 06:26 AM
Looks really good Chris.

Brody
October 19th, 2011, 07:06 AM
Looks good! Narrowing it shouldn't be too much of a problem, nor should adding some extra gussets if it needs them.

Cr33p3r
October 19th, 2011, 07:13 AM
my truck will be "done."

I think we know you better than that! Besides they are never really done.

Chris
October 25th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the input, I decided to pass on the BL but did drop the bumper at Pete's today. A bit of Brody fab and install coming soon!

Popsgarage
October 26th, 2011, 07:29 AM
Can't wait to see how it comes out.

Chris
November 9th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Again thanks to Pete (BFD) for all his work the last 2 days. First, my jerry cans holder is removable but with the license plate attached I needed a new holder which he whipped up along with adding a pin on each side for safety to prevent the swing arms to open on the trail.

Second was modifying my used Shrockworks bumper which was used on a truck with flared fenders and had suffered some damage. The damage wasn't too bad but the whole bumper was tweaked a bit. There were also some serious cracks that were unexpected but now welded and gone. Redoing the fenders turned out to be more than expected but Pete powered through as usual. The PO had welded the mounting rackets to suit his fit but nobody else's so Pete ground the welds off and brought them back to original. In a nutshell mounting this sucker is a task not to be underestimated!

I'll let Pete add anything else and will show off the pics I got as it was getting dark

Mporter
November 9th, 2011, 05:57 PM
That's lookin good Chris

mattzj98
November 9th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Looks good! next step, paint your bumpers white! :P i just like color matching my rides lol

Squshiee1
November 9th, 2011, 07:44 PM
I like the contrast of the black to white! keep it!

Rob
November 9th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Looks good, Chris. But, I don't know, I think that new front bumper is missing something. A winch, maybe? ;)

Chris
November 9th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Dear Santa Rob,

I've been very good all year.

Please bring me a Warn Winch for Christmas.

I believe in you.

Thanks Santa Rob!

Chris in Aurora
My house is the one with cookies and scotch

mattzj98
November 9th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Make sure you ask for the Warn Powerplant.. its cool! :rolleyes:

Rob
November 9th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Dear Santa Rob,

I've been very good all year.

Please bring me a Warn Winch for Christmas.

I believe in you.

Thanks Santa Rob!

Chris in Aurora
My house is the one with cookies and scotch

:lmao:

I'll bring you the winch, but only if the scotch is two bottles of 15-year-old JW Kilmarnock 400. Oh, and I like chocolate chip. :)

jesse05lj
November 9th, 2011, 09:28 PM
That looks really nice!

Brody
November 10th, 2011, 06:15 AM
When I got the bumper, it was obvious that it had taken a really hard hit on the driver's side. The middle had a bend sticking up about 1/2" on top, under the tube and the next brace down. The driver's side had some nasty bends and dings (and some really **** repair work) going on under the face plate. I managed to get these pretty much hammered out flat. The existing mounting brackets were not only bent, but had been welded up so that there was no adjustment.

I had to cut the welds loose in order to separate the brackets and when I got everything cleaned up, noticed that the welds on the inside of the brackets ( the part you can't see) had some really bad cracks in them. Cracks were also apparent on the mating corners of the face plate and side wings on the inside. I ground down and re welded all of these areas and hammered the brackets, both on the bumper and fame mounts, back into shape, adding another piece of 3/16" steel for additional support. I then re drilled all the mounting holes.

I also made a temp base plate so that we could easily raise and lift this heavy bumper with a floor jack. Test fitting showed that the holes need to be reamed out a bit and some material ground down on the brackets so that we could match side reveals. After this was done, I added cut off the ends where they had been flared to match the wider flares the PO had, re cut the sides to the new angle (stockish), welded those in place, test fit again, and then added about 7" to each side so that the side piece matched the stock wheel well openings.

It can out pretty damn good considering how hard a hit it had taken. I could have gone one step farther and cut out and either straightened or replaced the damaged (dented) piece that is the under side of the driver's side, but since it wasn't visible and was structurally compromised, Chris and I decided to leave it. (If I had much more and Chris wanted to take it back to the original pristine state, I would have had to do what I did on this DeMello FJC bumper:http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?7146-DeMello-FJ-Cruiser-Bumper-R-R/page3) For an FYI, this is probably the 3rd or 4th after market bumper (different makes, too) for FJC, 4Runner, and Taco that I have had to really modify the bracket mounting holes on, new or used.

Be forewarned: if you get an after market bumper from anyone for a Yota (or any other make) and expect it to be a simple 'bolt on', chances are that you are going to have to do some surgery to make it fit your rig. This isn't necessarily the fault of the manufacturer, either, so don't go blaming them. They makes a template based on the rig they have, modify it as best they can so that there is enough adjustment to fit 90% of the stuff it is supposed to. The other 10%, well, due to wheeling, accidents, or any one of a number of things, it ain't going to fit without some work. This applies to the whole world of after market parts, too, BTW...one of the reasons the terms 'bolt on' and 'universal fit' usually get a good laugh from the people doing the installing...

As for the Warn Power Plant winches, you better have some deep goddamn wallets and no other source of air (plus an overwhelming need for OBA) to justify spending the 'on sale 'price of $1700.00 or so. Not worth the bang for the buck by any means in my book, but I don't fit into the category of 'deep wallets' (haven't had that one for awhile) not do i have a need for OBA that breaks the bank. When you can get set up with OBA with a CO2 tank for a little over $100 Gotta shop around, but Colin did it), or an AC conversion for a lot less than that, it is a bit hard to justify.

Brody
November 10th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Here are some pictures showing a little bit of what was done or changed:

Brody
November 10th, 2011, 11:29 AM
What is with you and Matt with the bright green paint? I should talk...HAHA....I actually ran some 36" Swampers on my heap that had some nasty green painted wheels...about what Matt has decorating his rig or your trim pieces...

Chris
November 10th, 2011, 11:44 AM
The all one color is popular in S. America and Austrailia but not for me. Green? No way, black and white it will be.

Pete, I just found out the gap needs to be .5 inches to avoid damaging the fenders when flexed. Guess I should have read up on that stuff beforehand. :redface:

Brody
November 10th, 2011, 11:46 AM
We can do that. Why don't you let me know what time works for you, you can come by and we will 'flex' it out on the handy dandy dirt pile I now have across the road.

SNOWMAN
November 10th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Nice bumper on a nice truck. Also, nice work there Pete. I have a feeling that thing would do more than just bump whatever it hits... :lmao:

Chris
November 10th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Nice bumper on a nice truck. Also, nice work there Pete. I have a feeling that thing would do more than just bump whatever it hits... :lmao:

I don't know if we mentioned how the damage on it happened or not but the PO lost a front wheel so this bumper took a good hit and didn't really see much damage.

Why not green? It's bight and people will remember me....not that they wouldn't anyway right?:lmao:

Mine is more stealth Chris, a white 4Runner? Yeah, saw about 50 today! :lmao:

No, that's not a reason to go with green!

Chris
November 10th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Tell me when's good for you Pete, you know my schedule.

Or lack of schedule.

Heading out to wire the turn signals and do a quick rattle can of BLACK.

Brody
November 10th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Why not green? It's bight and people will remember me....not that they wouldn't anyway right?

And you think that they won't now?

tonkatoy
November 10th, 2011, 12:27 PM
THAT THING IS LOOKING REAL GOOD .

RockyMtnHigh
November 10th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Crap, I thought this was just more chit chat about the bumper again, nice to see it on there finally!

Nice work Pete! :thumb:

Chris
November 10th, 2011, 01:44 PM
We can do that. Why don't you let me know what time works for you, you can come by and we will 'flex' it out on the handy dandy dirt pile I now have across the road.

I have it from reliable sources that if I flex it now I'll be replacing fenders.

Brody
November 10th, 2011, 02:52 PM
I wasn't suggesting doing a "Robyn" (Sunshine 24) on the dirt pile...more like a responsible, sedate, older gentleman's approach...you know stopping before the fender folds in half kinda thing. Don't need to sail a wheel up in the air at 50 mph.....

I think I just coined a new adjective/verb/descriptive noun, etc. for the FR people. "Ahh, hell, what did you expect? He 'Robyned' it!" "Yeah, all ya gotta do is give it a 'Robyn'. Done deal." "There we were just standing by the trail, and someone came 'Robyning' around the corner, making us all dive for cover!" :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

This is much the same fate that Ralston suffered in climbing circles. Every time someone gets a foot, arm, hand, knee, whatever, caught in a crack, they have done a 'Ralston'. I think I even named a new route for that reason. Called it "The Ralston Maneuver" because everyone who climbed it got a knee stuck in the same spot. Had to get your knee jammed in the crack as you were under a horizontal roof in order to get both hands free (as you were basically upside down) in order to get get them planted in the crack over the edge of the roof. Of course your knee was going to get stuck!

Chris
November 10th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Don't need to sail a wheel up in the air at 50 mph.....

Then why bother at all! :D

Chris
November 10th, 2011, 05:17 PM
Looks good! next step, paint your bumpers white!

What do you think Matt?

Brody
November 10th, 2011, 05:30 PM
No. Not unless you hit a deer really hard. Black looks better. It also really doesn't look as though that guy is working with the 1/2" clearance that you said you needed.

I am going to clear out a nice runway across the street. From the end of the block, I will bet that you can Robyn up the dirt hill at a good 40mph. LaDawn will work her video camera and I will check for clearance issues when you hit the dirt mound.

HAHA.....used the 'Robyn' and you knew exactly what I meant, didn't you?

Chris
November 10th, 2011, 05:34 PM
It doesn't look like that guy even hits speed bumps over 3mph!

Yes, Robyn is well understood. You should be honored Robyn, not many people get a maneuver named after them! Personally I'm glad because the only thing that I would get would relate to hitting trees!

EldoradoFJ60
November 10th, 2011, 05:49 PM
New bumper looks great!

Chris
November 10th, 2011, 05:50 PM
I've been meaning to measure how much lift I lost with the additional front and rear bumper weight and finally got to it today. On the average I lost a huge 1/4" which makes me very happy. Once again OME suspensions prove their worth, I won't even concern myself with the weight of a winch someday.

mattzj98
November 10th, 2011, 06:41 PM
Chris, it looks great white!!! I love it! :)

Chris
November 10th, 2011, 07:12 PM
Better print it then, you'll never see mine looking like that! :D

mattzj98
November 10th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Meh

I got a very nice green POS i look at once in a while

KnuckleHead
November 10th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Thats a sweet looking bumper, looks good on your truck at that......

Brody
November 11th, 2011, 04:26 AM
You should be honored Robyn, not many people get a maneuver named after them! Personally I'm glad because the only thing that I would get would relate to hitting trees!

And it was meant in the honorific, too.

You could have been doing medical research and have had this named after you. Valsalva's Manuever:

The maneuver is based on the fact that when a patient forcibly exhales against a closed nose and mouth while bearing down, as if having a bowel movement, specific changes occur in blood pressure and the rate and volume of blood returning to the heart.

Named a hard off width climb after that, too..."Valsalva's Manuever"

Rob
November 11th, 2011, 09:53 PM
HAHAHAHAHA! I am a verb now

Try having a name that's a verb to begin with. And a felonious one, to boot. :cool:

Chris
November 16th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Pete didn't like the 4" holes in my bumper so he scrounged up a set of Tacoma fog lights he had and gave them to me when he fixed my rattle. Thanks Pete! I decided to wire them up today with some non-fog, brighter Silverstars. It was a simple matter of putting the bulbs in and turning them on. Unfortunately no matter what combination of lights I turned on they didn't. Then I found out I had another twist switch on my headlight controls, a fog light switch! :redface:

Good grief! I've had it a year! :eek: