PDA

View Full Version : Pete Climbing the Hill

Aaron
September 27th, 2010, 07:50 AM
Pete did some great work this weekend on my bumper but while we were there. He played on a dirt hill near his house. I just did a little flex testing for clearance on the bumper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H73TSmq28x8

Aaron
September 27th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Its still uploading but here are a few from when he was sitting pretty vertical. And one of me flexing a bit...

Aaron
September 27th, 2010, 07:58 AM
Oh. And and about 5 minutes before that shot of my Jeep was the last time the sway bar was connected. My electric sway bar refuses to reconnect now.

Brad
November 16th, 2010, 06:22 AM
Sweet looking truck! I have always loved the stepsides/shortbed.

Alas, the only pictures I can find of my 77 F150, also running on 38s with about the same amount of lift, lockers F/R, though dated with multiple shocks every damn place (after all, it was 82 or something...least I didn't do the chrome stuff) , is when it was upside down and more or less flat and the insurance company hadn't seen it to total it yet...

Eh? I think you responded to the wrong thread! :brody: :D

Brody
November 16th, 2010, 06:29 AM
Probably. I saw this first before his introduction....

Rmart74
March 8th, 2011, 02:39 PM
VERY NICE!

Brody
March 8th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Thanks. It has been a 6 year build project so far with almost all of the major work done 4-5 years ago. It has been the 14th or 15th rig I have built for myself and I didn't do very much wrong with this one. Not all of them have been Toyotas, either. There have been Dodges, Fords, Scouts, Chevys and some Jeeps.

On a vertical wall, all I need to do is to get one tire and the wall and it will simply keep walking up it until it either crests the wall or tips over backwards...all at an idle

Aaron
March 8th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Do you think Pete is enjoying himself?

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15099&stc=1&d=1285595634

Brody
March 8th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Do you think Pete is enjoying himself?

Yeah, but not as much as rock or ice climbing....:D Wheeling is fun, rock and ice climbing is exciting.....

Mporter
March 8th, 2011, 11:23 PM
I dunno....i think i see a smile :rolleyes:

Brody
March 9th, 2011, 06:26 AM
Oh, I am smiling all right and having fun.

mushmouth
March 10th, 2011, 09:29 PM
holy heck!!!! That thing is amazing!!! what lets you just drive right up that hill like that? wow, someday, someday!

Fordguy77
March 10th, 2011, 09:52 PM
holy heck!!!! That thing is amazing!!! what lets you just drive right up that hill like that? wow, someday, someday!

Really low crawl ratios

Robert B
March 10th, 2011, 09:56 PM
Really low crawl ratios
i thought pete was using his telepathic powers to move his truck ....

Rob
March 10th, 2011, 09:57 PM
i thought pete was using his telepathic powers to move his truck ....

anti-gravity modulator...

Brody
March 11th, 2011, 05:34 AM

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Robert, but my brain pan simply isn't big enough to have telepathic powers. Simply day to day functions sometimes get the best of me...

Robbie

To answer your question (and I am certainly not the only rig on the forum set up with very low ratios, or duals cases, etc, that can do the same thing: The truck has been regeared and is running 5.29 gearing. It has dual transfer cases, essentially doubling the low gears, plus the rear case also has a lower gear installed. It also has a spool (connects both axles in the rear like a locker so that both tires spin no matter what) in the rear and a locker in the front, so all four tires were turning.

So you have very low gears, a lot of torque, aggressive tires and lockers. You don't need much throttle if you can get traction. I have jammed the front end up against a wall and left it idle in gear. The truck basically dug a hole in the dirt until all four tires were suspended in the hole. With the lockers, if I can get one tire on something with traction, it can stand itself up in the air until it tips over.

Check out the Newbie section in the general section for basic junk. If you have any other questions, post them and people will eventually answer them...