PDA

View Full Version : Run in 4 mile?

Brad
September 18th, 2010, 06:45 PM
I know this would not be the most scenic or fun trip but I would like to run up there and document
what I see. I am not familiar with the area so if anyone can pitch in a idea of where to go that would
help alot.

Anyone else interested?

Chris
September 18th, 2010, 06:54 PM
There's a fundraising concert that would be fun, Big Head Todd and other local bands.

Don't know any more though...

AccordRanger
September 18th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Could always run Switz and Sugarloaf if they are letting traffic up there.

Brad
September 19th, 2010, 08:58 PM
Sounds like a good option. Now we just need to see if their open.

Chris
September 19th, 2010, 09:44 PM
I can't imagine much more depressing than driving through the burn area. :erm:

Funrover
September 19th, 2010, 11:25 PM
I can't imagine much more depressing than driving through the burn area. :erm:

I find beauty in it a couple months down the road, it's like Metburry. The destruction makes you sad but you see things differently

Brody
September 20th, 2010, 05:16 AM
I can't imagine much more depressing than driving through the burn area.

When we had our run in with the Hayman Fire and had the leave the rocks we were climbing on posthaste, we had what amounted to an "affordable mountain home" of roughly 600sf with a 400sf deck that we had been working on for almost 5 years. This was basically a huge cave we altered to suit our needs and was stocked with about 5 coolers of dry goods, sleeping bags, firewood, a fireplace that worked well, complete with screen, extra clothing, hammocks, etc, etc, and was totally camo'd. Many of our friends would use this, too; at least the ones that knew about it. The fire completely destroyed everything in this as well as some gear that we stashed at the base of the rocks, deep under some boulders.

After the fire, we got special permission from the FS to get into the closed area to see if there was anything left to retrieve. Needless to say, there wasn't. Walking through the 'moonscape' of deep trees and ash was a very depressing thing. Finding all the gear, not to mention the trails that I had worked on for 5 years, totally destroyed, simply added to the depression. Driving through a recently burned area, much less walking through one, is simply not designed to bring one's feelings up to a happy state.

Afterwards, when things have started growing back, it isn't too bad. I cannot fathom 'wanting' to drive through a once pretty area that has been destroyed. It would be much like stopping at an accident to see if there is any blood, gore, and body parts lying around.

Brad
September 20th, 2010, 06:03 AM
I know it is not a run for everyone. And I am not looking to glorify the carnage of the fire. What I do hope to accomplish is a better understanding of how some houses were spared and some weren't. I am planning on building a home in the mountains and this is a real danger. I want to have every advantage in protecting my home.

Pete, I am truly sorry for your loss.

Redcreeper
September 21st, 2010, 04:27 PM
We were up there on sunday. Most of it is open. Just watch out for the utility trucks. We went up four mile and not sure from there but i know i turned on Arkansaw and started over the switzerland. From there Gold Hill and Sunrise. Sunrise was pretty bad. If you want to learn that may be a good spot since the houses on one side were gone and the other were still standing. From what i know of wild fires there is not real understanding to it. It is all weather and fuel dependent. I have a club member who lives up there and his house was spared but the sheds and that on his property were not. I also seen a home that was in the mountain where the roof was about ground level and slope with the mountain. the fire went right over it. But the ground around it was burned. I was always told fire is like humans... go where it wants to or directed to and where the food is. It is a good chance to see wild life that you dont normally see. on our way up four mile i hit the brakes and my wife was wondering why till she look our her window and was greeted by a 10 point buck. this boy was HUGE! good thing i did not piss him off any. My wife just stuttered. My daughter has been asking all week what it is like and the what if questions so we decided to go up and show her in person. Also my wife did not understand what i meant by fire trenches so she was able to see them also and understand how a fire is fought. Yes it is sad to see and my heart goes out to those family who have lost everything.

Brad
September 21st, 2010, 05:11 PM
Thanks Kenny. Maybe I will just go by myself. I may wait a couple of weeks as well.