PDA

View Full Version : To fab or not to fab...that is the question

Mporter
September 17th, 2010, 10:50 PM
Since I just got paid :D im probably in the market for some rock sliders (finally :redface:).

I've been having my eye on the Trail-gear sliders for a while since they come in about the size I need and are relatively inexpensive.

However, I'm not sure if it'd be more worthwhile to fab up my own...

Chris
September 17th, 2010, 11:06 PM
You can fab a much beefier slider $ for $ than you cab buy anywhere and make exactly what you want instead of finding something "about the size you need."

Just my opinion Matt!

Hypoid
September 17th, 2010, 11:23 PM
I always contemplate the "Money v.s. Time" matrix and invariably have more time than money. Odd thing is: I don't have much free time???

If you can, do.

KnuckleHead
September 17th, 2010, 11:35 PM
I would say fab them yourself if you can..... or have someone here do it for you and keep it the family

1freaky1
September 18th, 2010, 12:00 AM
Matt I would say fab up your own, then you know exactly what you have and what it can handle.

Brody
September 18th, 2010, 06:38 AM
Bang for the buck, the Trail Gear sliders are the best ones out there, not to mention the fact that they are a very "universal" application. Pricewise, especially if you factor in the bending of the steel and the notching of the tubing, you simply can't make them for the same price as Trail Gear sells them. The steel price alone is usually more than Trail Gear charges. Sean and I have used these on quite a few applications just for this reason and we suggest that our customers get these and let us weld them on rather than a custom 'weld from scratch' slider set up, especially if the customer is trying to save money. Their frame gusset set up is another place where money gets saved as the labor time involved in just cutting all the pieces, not to mention the cost of the steel, far exceeds what Trail Gear charges. I believe the Trail Gear gusset set up runs about $20.

As far as your rig goes, if you haven't rerouted the exhaust, you will only have to alter one frame mount to clear this bit of stupid Yota engineering. I would simply get the TG set up that is closest to the length you need and proceed from there.

These are very stout, BTW, and not some pieces of junk. They do come with an oily covering that will need to be washed off the sliders before you start welding. Just use dish soap, a scrubby pad and hot water.

Mporter
September 18th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Thanks for all the input.