PDA

View Full Version : OX lockers?

AccordRanger
September 13th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Anybody have any experience with them? Want to get a selectable since it's my dd, when i have some spare money.
Like the fact that it is manually engaged and not air or electric, seems lees to go wrong.
Would appreciate any feedback on them.

JeffX
September 14th, 2010, 05:43 AM
They're great. The only issue is finding a spot for the selection levers. It's much bigger than an ARB switch.

upnover
September 14th, 2010, 09:16 AM
The cable on the OX does have issues but they ALL have issues (Air line issues or No power issues). I would get the locker with the best price ( ARB, OX, E-lock) shop around.

Brody
September 14th, 2010, 04:00 PM
What's been said so far.....and you have to buy a compressor with the ARB or factor in some other way to get 90psi to the locker on a constant flow. The only lockers I have never had problems with have been Detroit. Everything else has issues of one form or another. For instance: I have an ARB front and rear (if I am not running the spooled V rear axle). I have had line problems and a fitting problem with the front, both of which I managed to fix myself, though it was the usual take the 3rd out, etc PITA. The rear ARB currently has $7 worth of blown O rings in it. To replace these, I have to remove the 3rd and have the bearing pressed both on and off in order to replace $7 worth of rubber. The Detroit I had in the back before the spool has outlasted 4 gear sets and was still going strong when traded it.

AccordRanger
September 23rd, 2010, 08:47 PM
Does anyone here have one? If you do can you post a pic of the lever?

4wdhunter
September 24th, 2010, 10:31 AM
I had an OX in the rear on my old set of axles. Worked great and I would buy them again. Definitely get it installed by someone who has installed them before as I hear they have some quirks (especially with the cable and shifter). Only problem I had was with the engagement sometimes. If you think you need the OX to get up an obstacle engage it before attempting it as sometimes it was hard to engage it during. Maybe they've improved something since then as it's been 6 or so years since I had it.

Mr6dwg
September 24th, 2010, 01:45 PM
I can attest to what 4WDHunter says. I had purchased one for my Wrangler. It would not "stay" engaged. I believe it was due to the inexperience. "They" kept complaining that ARB is all they do. So, needless to say, the OX was removed and an ARB was installed. I would rather have had the OX locker installed due to its simplicity. But, the ARB has never let me down either.

JeffX
September 25th, 2010, 09:22 AM
I can attest that the Ox works awesome, if installed correctly. Both the ARB and the Ox should be engaged before the obstacle.

The shifter looks like this:

http://image.4wdandsportutility.com/f/tech/9368709+w200/0705_4wd_06_z+dana_35_upgrades+ox_locker_shifter.j pg