PDA

View Full Version : FR4x4 "Family Picnic?

Jackie
September 5th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Just posting to see if there is any interest in organizing a family picnic for end of summer. Has this group done anything like this before? I'm thinking we could rent one of the pavilions at a city park. BBQ and pot luck food and maybe do a volleyball tournament to add some excitement. We could make teams based on what you drive and go from there. (Yotas vs. Jeeps for example. :D) Or it could be softball, or any game that pretty much everyone of every age (including the kids) could play. Frisbie Golf??? I don't know... just thinking it might be a fun way to meet everyone and actually have time to converse and interact as well as share some good ol' family fun.

Oh - and if we get interest early enough, we'll have time for "teams" to form and start practicing!!!:lmao:

CR
September 5th, 2010, 05:01 PM
I like the idea!

1freaky1
September 5th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Cool idea there Jackie!

Rob
September 5th, 2010, 06:51 PM
:thumb:

Jackie
September 5th, 2010, 07:18 PM
OK - well, we have a few interested and the summer-is-a wastin', so let's not drag our feet if we are going to do this. First and foremost, everyone needs to pitch in with their ideas for location and date, . We can then figure out who is bringing what in terms of food and beverage. If you like the volleyyball or other "team" competition idea, then we need to start organizing that too and make up our family-friendly rules! If the tournament is out... that's OK too. It will still be fun just to hang out and enjoy a day in the park.

I'm thinking we try to pull this off by mid October. Your thoughts???

Robert B
September 5th, 2010, 08:21 PM
if we want to do frisbee golf there is 2 fields with trees and stuff to go around right by my house although its in the springs (north end) but i really like the idea if you need someone to help get things set up contact me :)

Brad
September 5th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Were in! :thumb:

Chris
September 5th, 2010, 10:28 PM
Sounds good to me too! :)

Rob
September 5th, 2010, 10:34 PM
Jackie, sounds like you need to pick a day, time and place, and post it as a trail run. Then we can figure out the particulars. I, of course, would suggest Longmont, but more people live in the metro area.

KnuckleHead
September 5th, 2010, 10:36 PM
Sounds like a great idea to me. Depending on the day that is picked out I will try to make it.....

Roostercruiser
September 6th, 2010, 01:29 AM
Im in , no 4x44 needed.

Brody
September 6th, 2010, 08:07 AM
Like has been mentioned: Set a date time and place and set it up as a run on the calendar. We have no idea what we are doing week to week, but if it is posted, we will try to get there.

Jackie
September 6th, 2010, 08:29 AM
I can't set a date until I find a park that is available for rent. From what I'm finding online, the city parks stop accepting reservations Oct 1. (But it being a holiday today, I can't get anyone on the phone to confirm that). I was leaning toward October 9th or 16th. If anyone wants to help me scope out some possible locations, I'd appreciate it. I'll be out of town for the remainder of this week and will have limited access to a computer. I was hoping we could find a pavilion with grills and tables, restrooms and a field for whatever sporting event we might play. A playground for the shorties would be nice too!

Robert B
September 6th, 2010, 04:39 PM
im guessing you are looking for a park in denver or near denver yes ??

Jackie
September 6th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Yes - Anything convenient for the group. But I have to leave for a business trip in the morning, so I am asking for help. If anyone wants to run with this idea...please do so with my blessing. I'll back you up when I return next weekend.

Robert B
September 6th, 2010, 08:52 PM
i would but im in the springs so i dont know denver besides the interstate and mile high field ... maybe my uncle has an idea since he lives up there

lovesdirt9
September 7th, 2010, 02:40 PM
http://www.denvergov.org/permits/GetaPermit/Picnics/tabid/430325/Default.aspx

Here is what I was able to find online - I think Wash Park or City Park would both be great locations. I was not able to reach anyone via telephone at the permit office (figures).

Site capacities vary from 25 to 300 people; however, all groups over 25 people are required to have a permit or to reserve the site for the permit holder’s exclusive use. Insurance is required if the picnic is for more than 100 people. (Insurance? What insurance lol)

Sheltered Picnic Sites
Fee:$97.00

City Park: Site 1*
17th & York (Thatcher Fountain)
100 Capacity
8 Tables

City Park: Site 2*
17th & York (Dustin Redd Playground)
50 Capacity
5 Tables

* City Park picnic sites are free for public use on a first-come first-served basis on Sundays from mid-May—September.

Washington: #1
Virginia & Franklin
60 Capacity
5 tables

Washington: #2
Downing & Exposition
100 Capacity
8 Tables

Washington: #3
Mississippi & Downing
150 Capacity
10 tables

I will try and help as much as possible Jackie :thumb:

WINKY
September 7th, 2010, 09:04 PM
I would be on a team of my own...lol

Brody
September 9th, 2010, 05:42 AM
I would avoid Wash Park due the amount of tickets that people have been getting there this year. One of the people in one of the leads groups that I go to lives close to Wash Park and runs a photo studio. She schedules a lot of picture taking in Wash Park, so she knows the area well. She said that both the parking and parking enforcement have been getting very out of hand this year.

My thought would be to have the picnic in a smaller park that isn't as popular as City Park or City Park, like one of the parks in the outlying areas. Just my :2c:

Brad
September 9th, 2010, 06:46 AM
Morse park in Lakewood has a pretty large sheltered picnic area and good parking.

sunk
September 9th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Bellview park in Englewood has pavillions but Im not sure how much it is to rent one, (I had thought it was something like $50) or when they stop accepting reservations...

Bear Creek Lake park is really cool they have both pavillions and a volleyball pit, but you have to pay to get in and I think the rental is pricey, something like $150...

There are lots of cool parks in Littleton as well but I would have to look around.

Sounds like fun

Aaron
September 9th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Morse Park is nice. Lots of trees and about 100 yards from my rental house over there.

Brad
September 9th, 2010, 12:12 PM
Speaking of littleton, Johnson lake by my house has alot of potential but you would want to rent one close to the parking area on the north side.

Jackie
September 9th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Thanks for checking around guys - I'm still in Florida working, so I can't do much from here. Keep posting up your findings and also, if you can, check available dates so we can pick one. I appreciate all the help so far!!!

Fordguy77
September 9th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Morse park in Lakewood has a pretty large sheltered picnic area and good parking.

Morse Park is nice. Lots of trees and about 100 yards from my rental house over there.

As well as tennis courts, baseball fields, basketball courts, volleyball courts, and a football field. Even a play ground. Lots of parking as well.

Its located Off of 20th ave between Allison and Carr on the south side of 20th.

Brody
September 9th, 2010, 04:22 PM
I don't know whether we would be going to this or not, so I am throwing out suggestions. I wouldn't be doing any "team" sports stuff anyway as my idea of team sports plays out kinda like the football scene in "The Last Boy Scout",

(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVrsGHs2MCk)

mainly cause I have never dealt really well with being pushed, shoved, knocked down or bumped into, and we don't have any kids. Have to see when and where. There are a huge number of smaller and less popular parks around, a great many of which stay uncrowded.

SCRubicon
September 9th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Avoid Lakewood parks. They charge a lot for a lot of nothing. Ask me how I know ;) If they have scheduled sporting events you can forget about using the athletic fields...

Fordguy77
September 9th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Its $90 for

Picnic Shelter Rental Information Shelter #2 and #3:

1 Picnic Shelter 10 Picnic Tables 1 BBQ Grill
Accomodates 80-100 People

SCRubicon
September 9th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Its $90 for

Picnic Shelter Rental Information Shelter #2 and #3:

1 Picnic Shelter 10 Picnic Tables 1 BBQ Grill
Accomodates 80-100 People

I know, I worked for the Community Resources Urban Parks division. :D Most people just showed up and had a party with no reservation at all.

Fordguy77
September 9th, 2010, 04:39 PM
I know, I worked for the Community Resources Urban Parks division. :D Most people just showed up and had a party with no reservation at all.

Ah haha, i was just posting for the sake of posting, as i looked up the info on it and didnt even see your post. I have to admit i am typically guilty of the second.

Jackie
September 12th, 2010, 12:20 AM
Pete - I think that was the darkest video I have ever seen. :eek: I was thinking more along the lines of a friendly game of volleyball where you bump the ball over the net and the other team returns it without smashing the pretty young faces of our happy little kids playing in the park...ya know...kinda family-fun-style. Nobody wins, nobody loses, nobody cares! Eat some food, enjoy the company and call it a day!

Anyways...I called the Westminster City Park today and they confirmed that they stop taking reservations for pavilion rentals at the end of September, but the girl "ASSUMED" (and we all know what that means) that you can just show up and do what you want. I'll call the main office on Monday and find out what the real rules are... but do any of you object to one of the Westminster parks? I ASSUME all the city parks have similar rules.:D If Westminster is a good choice, then that will be my focus.

Brad
September 13th, 2010, 05:54 AM
I am not opposed to anywhere. :D

Jackie
September 17th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Sorry everyone...This one is a fizzle due to the timing. I came up with this idea way too late. But let's try to do something like this next year and plan it much earlier.

Brody
September 18th, 2010, 07:28 AM
Pete - I think that was the darkest video I have ever seen.

HAHA....yeah, pretty dark, but probably the only way I would participate in team sports or watch them. What can I say? Even in grade school when I was more or less 'forced' to participate in 'team' sports for PE, I usually got kicked out of the 'games' when someone got an elbow to the face, fingers in the eye, tagged in the throat, or simply got the **** kicked out of them, etc. Guess I never showed 'proper restraint'.... Never had kids, nor have I been around them all that much, so I don't tend to think along 'kid' lines.....

I wouldn't say this should be a total wash. Next month the parks are still open and I think it would be a matter of just a group showing up and doing what they want to do...