PDA

View Full Version : Yellowstone Wyoming Expedition Summer 2011

Brad
August 26th, 2010, 02:45 PM
I have been thinking of doing this for quite sometime, in fact since long before I owned a 4x4.
I know this is a long way off, before I entertian all the planning involved in such a expedition
I was wondering if there is any interest in this kind of trip. Here are some of my thoughts
on route and timeframe.

http://my-photo-blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/grand-teton-national-park-photos.jpg

http://www.destination360.com/north-america/us/wyoming/images/s/wyoming-yellowstone-national-park.jpg
9 day expedition
Travel through:
Walden>Grand Encampment>Fort Washakie>Dubois>Grand Teton national park>Yellowstone national park

Involve alot of jeep trail exploring along the way. Camping out at
strategic sites close to trails everyone wants to run. Do not need to
be the hardest as breakdowns will need to be avoided if possible.
Still need to get specific logistics of where those spots will be and would
involve alot of input from everyone wanting to go. Going as a team of people
will definately benefit those involved vs. going it solo.

Post your thoughts and any interest. I am not looking for commitment just
interest. :thunb:

Andrew
August 26th, 2010, 02:55 PM
I would be interested, however I would like to stay in/nearby Yellowstone and GTNP for at least 3 days otherwise it isn't worth it for me. I want to have some time to take pictures there.

Brad
August 26th, 2010, 03:16 PM
I agree. I have never been to yellowstone so a min. of 3 days would be required. There is alot to explore in that area alone.
My thought was to spend a day or so at each stop location on the way there and on the way back.

Here is a general synopsis of the route, it includes Grand Teton National Park and Yellowstone:
http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=m&lat=42.14104&lon=-107.842625&zoom=7&q1=Denver%20CO&q2=Walden%20CO&q3=Saratoga%20WY&q4=Fort%20Washakie%20WY&q5=Grand%20Teton%20National%20Park%20WY&q6=Yellowstone%20National%20Park

Believe it or not it is only 600 miles 1 way utilizing this route. Roughly 11 hours of drive time, depending on how hard you are pressing the pedal! ;)

Jackie
August 26th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons ROCK! I'd be interested in doing part of it. I'd probably take the pavement to the park and meet you somewhere there.

Fordguy77
August 26th, 2010, 03:45 PM
I'd be interested, but i've got a ways to go on a rig before i would feel comfortable with that.

Brad
August 26th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons ROCK! I'd be interested in doing part of it. I'd probably take the pavement to the park and meet you somewhere there.

This is a option as well. Never been to southern Wyoming so I was interested in that area as well. Southern wyoming can be a easy weekend trip on a different date. This is exactly the kind of feedback I am looking for. :thunb:

Robert B
August 26th, 2010, 04:40 PM
if i could somehow get a lot of money over the wnter (if i can get a job) this could be amazingly fun

Chris
August 26th, 2010, 04:40 PM
I agree. I have never been to yellowstone so a min. of 3 days would be required. There is alot to explore in that area alone.
My thought was to spend a day or so at each stop location on the way there and on the way back.

Here is a general synopsis of the route, it includes Grand Teton National Park and Yellowstone:
http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=m&lat=42.14104&lon=-107.842625&zoom=7&q1=Denver%20CO&q2=Walden%20CO&q3=Saratoga%20WY&q4=Fort%20Washakie%20WY&q5=Grand%20Teton%20National%20Park%20WY&q6=Yellowstone%20National%20Park

Believe it or not it is only 600 miles 1 way utilizing this route. Roughly 11 hours of drive time, depending on how hard you are pressing the pedal! ;)

Thanks for the map! I don't plan that far ahead but Barb & I have been talking about Yellowstone as a trip next month after she retires. I've never been there but my brother just came in from CA and has been there a lot. I'll be picking his brain.

WINKY
August 26th, 2010, 04:48 PM
id be interested.

Aaron
August 26th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Perhaps!

Funrover
August 26th, 2010, 06:15 PM
That would make for a excellent trip!

Rob
August 26th, 2010, 07:50 PM
I'd be up for it, if my wife has a job before then and I can afford it without cutting into the retirement accounts too deeply. :)

lovesdirt9
August 26th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Totally Interested ... I haven't been to Yellowstone in ages!! Sounds fun.

AccordRanger
August 26th, 2010, 10:55 PM
Been wanting to get up there again ill have to see when the time comes closer.

Brad
August 27th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Clearly there is interest. I will put together a couple packages and see what you guys think! :thunb:

Aaron
August 27th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Tents in yellowstone is probably a bad idea. We might look at cabins. Just a thought.

Brad
August 27th, 2010, 05:30 PM
I will include that in one of the packages.

Jackie
August 27th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Go for the gusto and see how much the Logde would cost! We could make this a 4x4 "convention"!!! (insert smilie here) (wink).

Robert B
August 27th, 2010, 06:10 PM
I will put together a couple packages and see what you guys think! when planning this you should also think aobut ppl with 4 speeds.... my truck if i can find it may have one so speed on highways is closer to 60 or so just a thought but awesome !!

Brad
August 27th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Aaron, your crazy (LOL)
Robert, it is def on my list, the rover isn't a beacon of speed. (wink)

Pathrat
August 27th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the map. Like Chris and Barb, Hugh and I have been talking about it but we are in the planning stages now. Our guidebook is on the way, I have checked out lodging (two days south half of park, two days north half), and I will make reservations of July IF we have the 2K it will cost a family of four to be there for four or five days. We would probably not be doing a whole lot of off road.

Never too early to plan for Yellowstone.

Brad
August 27th, 2010, 10:37 PM
I am certain it can be done for less than that.

Pathrat
August 27th, 2010, 11:58 PM
I am certain it can be done for less than that.

When you add in gas, lodging, food, misc. and such, that is about how much a nice family vacation runs me. I can probably do $1500 but either way, this is not couple hundred buck trip.

WINKY
August 28th, 2010, 01:09 AM
i will be sleeping in the back of my truck.

foxtrot
August 28th, 2010, 01:33 AM
i will be sleeping in the back of my truck.

sounds like a fun trip, but I'm thinking the same as Winky :thunb:

WINKY
August 28th, 2010, 06:04 AM
Yay i got a follower on twitter!!!.... wait this aint twitter and im not a TWIT..... hahaha

Jackie
August 28th, 2010, 03:31 PM
You can find cabins with two double beds starting at about $70. If you camp, it's cheaper, obiously. If you cooler your food and do your own cooking, you can do this on the cheap. Jackson has affordble lodging as well for those that want a hotel/motel/cabin etc. It's fantastic out there. You can't go wrong any way you plan it!

Pathrat
August 28th, 2010, 08:30 PM
If the trip is done in July, camping will be comfortable. June, not so much maybe. I was up there at the beginning of June one year and froze. No one should take my cost estimate as a deterrent either. I am sure everyone on here knows how to both blow cash and vacation on the cheap so the options are wide open.

Chris
September 11th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Reading through this again since I have the time today. We planned on hitting the road but life's getting in the way again so won't be out of here until Tuesday or so. My preliminary search shows too much to see, anyone have specific places on a "must see" list? We'll combine truck camping & hotels depending on the situation and our mood at the time. We do not and will not follow anything resembling a schedule or plan, that's not our way of traveling.

Any tips from those that have been there will be appreciated!

RockyMtnHigh
September 11th, 2010, 05:33 PM
My wife and I are getting a pop-up sometime after next month when her truck is paid off, looking at one of the "off-road" versions. Yellowstone is one of the places she wants to go and I would like to get some fishing in there too, so I would be interested in this also. May not join you guys on the wheeling trips, but it would be nice to kick back in front of a fire in the evenings and grill up some brookies and down some fine Colorado micro-brew.

Tents in yellowstone is probably a bad idea. We might look at cabins. Just a thought.

Some type of early detection and 3" magnum hollow point slugs, coming out of a auto-loader with 8 shots and ghost ring sights, no problem! Pretty brown coat or floor covering for the cabin!

:lmao: I kid, but hear what you're saying! Other than the recent attack, has there been very many problems with bears and campers? Is there alternative campsites outside the park?

Brad
September 11th, 2010, 06:48 PM
I have yet to start researching all the options, sorry Chris. While you are there perhaps you can do a little recon for me. :D

I am now officially a part of 3dogcamping and building the website. I am hoping to have a offroad demo soon and may take one to yellowstone depending on our final plans.

Check them out. http://www.3dogcamping.com

Chris
September 11th, 2010, 07:10 PM
I tried to Brad but always end up here -> http://3dogcamping.com/roof-top-campers.html

I want pics & details like the competition provides. ;)

I'll try to remember to take notes, pics & stuff of Yellowstone but I tend to get distracted. :cool:

Brad
September 11th, 2010, 07:20 PM
The USA site will be way more explicit on details.

Pathrat
September 12th, 2010, 10:19 PM
PM sent Chris

Chris
September 13th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Thanks Stephanie, hope to leave tomorrow.

Chris
September 13th, 2010, 11:35 AM
I'll be watching this, we've canceled our trip since I've boogered my back and can barely walk, much less drive that distance. :mad:

Brad
September 13th, 2010, 02:06 PM
That sucks. I am sorry Chris. :frown:

Jackie
September 13th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Oh, man. What happened? Sorry it happened to you whatever it was. (BTW - I'm still looking for the sidesteps I want you to install. But now I guess I can take my time). I hope your back heals soon.

Back to Yellowstone planning...!

Chris
September 13th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Thanks but it's just what everyone else here will experience sooner or later. I've been putting off surgery for years so this crap happens now and then. ;)