PDA

View Full Version : Everything works on the 40, for now

Rob
August 14th, 2010, 05:58 PM
A big thank you to Chris for spending most of the day at my house fixing various things on the FJ40.

After we threw some 31s on his rig for an emission test and got back from Air Care, we hit the auto parts store for some wiring stuff.

First off was trying to get the lighter to work. Ended up wiring a new lighter directly to the battery. Now I can run my GPS and handheld CB again.

Then we tackled the horn, which hasn't worked since I bought the 40 last July. Ended up wiring a new horn to the battery with an aftermarket horn button.

Chris managed to keep smiling, despite the gremlins in the horn wiring.

After a quick lunch at Subway, I mentioned that the new speedo cable really wanted a new home, so Chris offered to help knock that out, too. After wrestling with the gauge cluster panel, we got it off and the cable unhooked. Routing the new cable to get enough slack to hook it up almost defeated us, but we managed it. Chris then mentioned it would be a good idea to change the bulbs in the panel as long as it was out, so another quick trip to the auto parts store later, the panel had five new bulbs. I'm not sure how many were burned out (at least one, though), but I've never been able to read the panel at night. I plan to do a test run tonight to see if it's any better.

But best of all, the speedometer works again. I was worried it might be the drive gear or the driven gear, which would have meant tearing into the transmission.

Thanks again, Chris! Hope you had a smooth ride home.

By the way, that clank when I pulled out of the garage was the side mirror you moved out of the way of my head. :lmao:

And you forgot your cucumbers. :frown:

Chris
August 14th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Ended up wiring a new lighter directly to the battery.

Before it gets asked, yes the new circuits are fused.

My pleasure Rob, it's always a good day when stuff gets done. :thunb:

Funrover
August 15th, 2010, 02:30 AM
Before it gets asked, yes the new circuits are fused.

My pleasure Rob, it's always a good day when stuff gets done. :thunb:

Fuses are over rated... LOL

southpaws3
August 18th, 2010, 01:07 AM
WHERE"S THE OLAY !!!!!!

1freaky1
August 18th, 2010, 09:04 AM
Well that is good to hear Rob, glad everything went right with it!

Brad
August 18th, 2010, 09:07 AM
I dig fj40's, looks good!
So uhh.. Chris! Ever heard about english electronics? Wanna have a go?:D

Chris
August 18th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Ever heard about english electronics?

Nope, please enlighten me :confused:

Brad
August 18th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Lucas electronics are horrible. Twitchy, stubborn, and they like to burn things down.
From a shorted wire under the ebrake handle:

Chris
August 18th, 2010, 09:47 AM
:lmao: I didn't equate English with Lucas.

Yeah, I won't buy anything with Lucas electronics.

CR
August 18th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Don't Jinx it

Pathrat
August 18th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Fuses are over rated... LOL

Yeah, ask Hunter about that! :lmao: