PDA

View Full Version : Rough Country New Lift

Aaron
August 9th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Hey all,

I'm looking to get some altitude under the new JK so that I can stop rubbing so much and get 35s under it. I'm in the budget range right now for a lift but want to start with something I can upgrade later if I wanted to. I was looking for something like 3".

I know Rough Country doesn't get much love but I had a 2.5" suspension and a 1.25 Body lift under the TJ I had and I loved it so I figured I would take a gander at theirs. They have a new 3.5" lift for the JK for $500 that is hard not to look at. It has all of the components I think are needed to be a complete kit. The cost savings comes with the fact that the components are not adjustable. No adjustable track bar and the control arms that come with it are not adjustable. However, since they are a part of the lift, I have to assume the geometry considerations have been built into these components. What do I lose? The ability to fine tune to my tastes? That sounds like something I could add later as the budget allows.

The other thing is that this lift is new. It literally came out in the last week or two. Should I be worried about installing something that new in the marketplace?

KnuckleHead
August 9th, 2010, 04:00 PM
I have a Rough Country lift on my K5 and have had no problems with it. I also see Rough Country getting installed on all the new stuff in the mags all the time. As far as how new it is and should you install it???? Well you could give it a shot or wait a few months for some reviews to come out.... just my :2c:

Aaron
August 9th, 2010, 04:22 PM
I bought it...

Customer service was AMAZING as always. Chatted with a Jefferey online and let him know that I was interested but wanted to see some pics of the lift with flex. He sent me pics of his rig with this lift from his cell phone to mine. Then I asked if I could get an early adopter discount or perhaps free shipping. He give me 10% off. I called up the 800 number and Jeffrey answered the phone took my order and said I should have my kit by Friday!

Brody
August 9th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Rough country does have a bit of a bad name in some circles, but no one can say that it doesn't do the job for the cash outlay.

As far as it being a new lift, Rough Country as well as most of the other manufacturers for after market parts, has probably designed the lift on a pre production model that they had access to. They will have had plenty of time to test it, especially since it is based off existing Jeep components, so not to worry there.

As far as having adjustable control arms, I would say that these too are not too critical right now, especially on a budget, and, like you said, can easily be updated later. The update can come if you want to do a long arm kit....

Aaron
August 9th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Never complained about it in the TJ... That thing can flex for a 2.5"lift...

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14159&stc=1&d=1281324894

southpaws3
August 10th, 2010, 12:47 AM
Check out SKINNY FAB's setup ..... He made or found a set of fender kits for all 4 corners his rig looks sick w/ no lift (35's i think)

DETN8R
August 15th, 2010, 04:50 PM
I know my Rough Country lift stock control arms were the reason I ripped a mount of my axle. I've been slowly replacing every part of the lift since. The only things I have left from it are the front shock, which suck.
Rear lower control arms.
Springs
and Rear extended sway bar links.

I had to get a new front track bar after the drop bracket ovaled out the hole for the track bar.
I replaced the front sway bar links when I got my quick disconnects. and I replaced the front lower control arms with some that I made using johnny joints.

It will get you started but you'll eventually want something better.

For $500 you can get some HiLine fenders from Rokmen and do a little trimming with rear fenders.