PDA

View Full Version : grizzly lake

Roostercruiser
August 1st, 2010, 02:55 PM
i was thinking on running this trail. Looks fun . maybe on the 21 or 14?? If theres intrest ill post it.

Rob
August 1st, 2010, 03:04 PM
That's too far from home for me this year. Maybe next. Roland, you could go ahead and post it as a trail run and see who RSVP's. I'm sure you'll get some takers. :thunb:

Chris
August 1st, 2010, 03:20 PM
I'd like to do it Roland, it was mentioned by someone else as one they'd like to run. I failed to get past the entrance last time I tried, onlu succeeded in breaking my front bumper. :eek:

I want to give it another try but not alone like last time. ;)

Roostercruiser
August 1st, 2010, 03:31 PM
Will my burb make it?

Chris
August 1st, 2010, 03:45 PM
I don't know, it's a pretty serious gate-keeper. I'll let someone else voice their opinion. Rock stacking is always a possibility but I didn't try myself - just took it on and lost. :lmao:

Brody
August 2nd, 2010, 06:06 AM
Plan on some serious rock stacking or using the winch, Roland. After the start or the trail, it mellows out considerably. The 'gate keeper' is about the length of the burban long. The trail itself is relatively short to the lake, so you may want to add on an additional trail because it is a long drive for most of us.

RockyMtnHigh
August 2nd, 2010, 09:54 AM
The rocks at the entrance aren't the typical rocks we find on most every other trail, they are kind of round river rocks and do not stack very well, they slide out with any kind of spinning of tires. The gate itself is another story, the longest wheel base I have seen make it up that was a Tacoma sitting on 35's and he beat the sh!t out of the skids, rock rails and rear diff. It would be interesting to see that massive rig of yours get up there, it's worth a try, if nothing else there is a lot of other trails to do out there. On your rig the other concern I would have is your ass end dragging on the incline, you may have that along with the belly to worry about. Coming down also might be interesting in that aspect as well.

Joe (Bluethunder) and Khal (A-TRAC), I know have made it over it, they might be able to offer some tips.

Chris
August 2nd, 2010, 02:36 PM
Plan on some serious rock stacking or using the winch, Roland. After the start or the trail, it mellows out considerably. The 'gate keeper' is about the length of the burban long. The trail itself is relatively short to the lake, so you may want to add on an additional trail because it is a long drive for most of us.

Iron Chest?

Roostercruiser
August 2nd, 2010, 02:42 PM
I just saw some vidoes on youtube on the entrance and full size rigs like and old wagoneer made it with no problem. I looks like its down, it dont look that bad and the vidoes are from 11 months ago . its worth a shot . What other trails r down there. Ive never wheeled anything past china wall on 285,

Chris
August 2nd, 2010, 02:47 PM
Look at my post above yours - Iron Chest

Roostercruiser
August 2nd, 2010, 02:50 PM
Never heard of that one before

Roostercruiser
August 2nd, 2010, 02:55 PM
I dont think i can make that one

BLUE THUNDER
August 2nd, 2010, 03:03 PM
I've done grizzly lake twice now, made it both times without the winch. We did stack rocks. As far as iron chest and the other trails on that road they are close for a long time. Road is washed out with no plans on fixing it. I was up there two weeks ago.

A-TRAC
August 2nd, 2010, 04:39 PM
I camped at Grizzly Lake this past weekend. Went up Friday and came down yesterday. The trail was a mess compared to last year. We got a lot of rain while we were up there.

It's pretty muddy right now, so even after the gatekeeper, my wet KM2s were struggling keeping up on the steep hill that has a lot of loose rock. I had almost no traction on the gate-keeper and had to winch myself up it.

Funrover
August 2nd, 2010, 04:51 PM
Grizzly is a great trail! Yes the gate keeper is the hardest part. We did get a bone stock 1994 Discovery up it. Did a quick pull with a strap but he was much lower then you. The length you have may actually help you. Your front tires will be over the obstacle when you back gets to it. Once you get past that you are fine. The trail is beautiful and I love the lake. I am going to talk to Jess and see if we can go on this run on the 21st.

Here is the gate
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c353/Funrover/Off%20road%20Trips/offroad2/IMG_9596.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c353/Funrover/Off%20road%20Trips/IMG_9520.jpg

If you took the far left line you will be fine, the center line (where I am at in the pics) is steps and the far right is a massive lean. Another issue to the trail is that you cross a stream right before the gate.. slippery tires

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c353/Funrover/Off%20road%20Trips/IMG_9515.jpg

But when you get to the top it is totally worth it!
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c353/Funrover/Off%20road%20Trips/IMG_9568.jpg

The trail has the gate keeper, then a tight corner shortly after (you can do it, just may take a 3 point turn or you go around the obstacle and don't worry about the tight corner). From there you climb through a forest till a narrow 1.5 car wide stretch, easy but look for others before starting. After that it's all beautiful scenery

Brody
August 3rd, 2010, 05:55 AM
Iron Chest?

No way for Roland to get his Burb through iron Chest unscathed....

Antero or some of the scenic routes would be a nice addition, but only with an earlier start unless people want to spend a long time driving back in the dark. Another option would be to run any one of the numerous trails that you pass off of 285: any of the trails on either side of the road before you head down into BV from the top of the pass, Mosquito Pass, Twin Cone, trails off Kenosha Pass on either side, etc.

1freaky1
August 3rd, 2010, 07:18 AM
Wow that is a beautiful looking place to go. Have to put that on my list for next summer.

Chris
August 3rd, 2010, 08:35 AM
No way for Roland to get his Burb through iron Chest unscathed....

I've yet to do either Grizzly or Iron Chest so I have no idea, just two trails I want to do.

Brody
August 3rd, 2010, 10:13 AM
I've yet to do either Grizzly or Iron Chest so I have no idea, just two trails I want to do.

Iron Chest is both narrow and pretty hard with a harder and longer rocky section than Spring Creek. Add to that you are going uphill and you have a mile or so of pretty unrelenting challenge. It is also so narrow that there is no room to pass a rig either coming or going, so that needs to taken into consideration. There were only two spots on the trail after the wide section in the rock garden that would allow ONE rig to get off the trail. The view from the mine at the top, especially if you hike the remainder of the distance to the ridge is pretty sweet. Lockers are definitely a boon on this trail as are very low gears. Most of the trick to the trail is to stay on top of the rocks(which all move) and not to blow them out from under your wheels. I made it though the whole section without spinning a wheel and open except for one small obstacle, but I have dual T cases with very low gearing, 38s and was aired down to about 8 pounds. Eight out of the eleven rigs we had with us (WFTW 2009) had issues of one sort or another, many caused by the heavy right foot of the drivers. We had a winch station set up at the top of the rocks for winching and it got used a lot.

Grizzly Lake has just the one hard section at the entrance. No matter how you get up this, with a winch or under your own power, it is well worth the scenery at the end. There are also plenty of anchor points to winch from at the obstacle.

Roostercruiser
August 3rd, 2010, 10:32 AM
Thnks brody for the info , next year iron chest and spring creek is on the lisy, by years end i shou,d be locked and on 37's . I give grizzly a try this year , if i dont make it il run red cone on the way home,

Warrlord
August 3rd, 2010, 06:21 PM

I haven't done Grizzly (and I want to) but I've done Iron Chest a couple times. I don't have a very low crawl ratio so I could smell my clutch several times but made it both times unscathed. It was well worth the rough ride, the scenery is great at the top of it. Here's some pics...............

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v320/Warrlord/Wheeling/ic16.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v320/Warrlord/Wheeling/ic5.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v320/Warrlord/Wheeling/ic6.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v320/Warrlord/4x4%20Friends/ironchest2.jpg

Chris
August 3rd, 2010, 06:51 PM
Reading what people say I'd say Grizzly is worth another try for me but I'll pass on Iron Chest this season. There are so many nice trails in BV I don't see any sense in doing a couple tough ones in one visit. Not sure if I can make your run Roland but I'll know when it gets closer.

Ardent
August 4th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Maybe these will help you make your decision:

This time in 2009:

Coming down, different angle:

I made it with very little issue on 33's Open/Open. Wheel base is huge here- the white 4Runner in the first pic was locked in the rear, but had to take a winch line because he just couldn't get up. He was getting held up on his lower control arm mounts and t-case crossmember/skid.

Good luck on the Trail!! It's a fun on for sure. And the prize at the end it worth it!

gm4x4lover
August 4th, 2010, 01:52 PM
I think you could make it roland. Carefull tire placement and good spotting and you will go right up it.