PDA

View Full Version : Black bear pass difficulty?

Speedwagon
July 29th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Trail damage rates it a 4/5. But all the pictures I've seen of it, would lead me to believe it is only a 2/3 or 3/4. What makes it a 4/5 on traildamage? Is it just the steepness? Or are there obstacles, large rocks, etc on it?

Swath
July 29th, 2010, 11:27 PM
Some steepness heading up, dropping down to the switchbacks is very steep. I'm geared fairly low, was in 1st gear (low range of course) and was looking for a lower gear. The switchbacks themselves are just tight (one backup each with the Sami) and of course, there is that whole certain death thing if you fall off the switchback.

Good brakes and tight steering required. Aside from that nothing real technical like crawling over big rocks.

Speedwagon
July 30th, 2010, 02:02 AM
Ok, so gearing to slow down would be iffy in the Brat, but otherwise it should be just fine with it. One thing it does have, is a tight turning radius.

Swath
July 30th, 2010, 10:02 AM
Just to clarify my initial response:

I wold call this trail fairly easy, in perfect conditions. Rain changes everything. Could even snow. Easy to a rig with tallish aggressive tires, lockers and low gears, lots of ground clearance has a way of influencing a fellers perspective. As is usually the case, the loose nut behind the wheel has a lot to do with it also. Back when I was blasting around the hills on my XR600 I would do some 4wd trails that I considered to be very very easy but when the same road was attempted with a 4wd it changed everything. I'm saying easy for me and my Sami might be more challenging for your Brat than I can imagine.

The bottom line for Black Bear is, you need to be prepared, capable of making smart choices, and pay close attention in the critical zones. The switchbacks are not to be taken lightly, one little mistake here can kill.

Would I drive a Brat over it? Probably not, but I'm not familiar with how low they are geared.

I'm not saying you can't make it or shouldn't try it, that call is yours. I'm just saying what I would choose.

I did it with the Sami, 30x9.50s, low xfer case gears and a locker, My brother did it in his Tracker with a 4" lift, 31x10.50s and stock gearing and open diffs.

A good driver could take a VW bug over it in perfect conditions (of course those bugs are capable of amazing things).

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=445725

Chris
July 30th, 2010, 10:13 AM
I've only done it in my truck so, like Swath, I can't say whether or not you should. It definitely does not live up to the "most dangerous trail" reputation I've seen frequently mentioned. Yes, people have died there because it's not very forgiving if you screw up. I did it with my truck 100% stock with no issues and I do it alone regularly and have done it in the rain - not by choice since it started raining when I was well in to the trail. The Rangers do it in their stock 150's.

JeffX
July 30th, 2010, 12:40 PM
A Brat will need one locker to make it. Otherwise, when you lift a tire (condition-dependent) during a three point turn, you'll fall off the edge.

No way in h3ll would I recommend that trail without low range.

Speedwagon
July 30th, 2010, 02:11 PM
A Brat will need one locker to make it. Otherwise, when you lift a tire (condition-dependent) during a three point turn, you'll fall off the edge.

No way in h3ll would I recommend that trail without low range.

Not sure if you are just stating it to state it, or if you are implying I don't have low range... but the Brat does have low range.

gm4x4lover
July 30th, 2010, 04:00 PM
I was trying to search to see what the low range was on a brat. The best i could come up with is a 1.49-1 low range. I also looked to see what the low first gear ratio was on the standard trans avaliable for the brat. It looked like the 4spd had a first gear of 3.2-1 and the 5spd had a first gear of 3.66-1. Now I also have had a handfull of subaru's. Some of which had the dual range (it seems subaru never refers to them as low range but as dual range) case. I dont think that I would feel comfortable with that high of a low range gear ratio. Most of the newer vehicles have a similar first gear ratio but a much lower low range usually 2.5-1 and lower. I also think that it the dual range case is high enough geared that subaru didnt feel comfortable calling it low range. Feel free to do what you want but just remember it will be more than just your self you are hurting, and others you may be putting at risk to possible help you out of a bad situation. And since the smiles are not working for me thats my 2 cents.

Swath
July 31st, 2010, 01:24 AM
The problem with these "easy" trails is that a person can be fooled into believing their equipment is the most important part of being able to conquer the hazard. In reality, a skilled driver, vehicle prep, and a mechanical aptitude can be the tools required. The technical difficulty scales all the web sites use merely point out the road conditions. A broke muffler bearing near town in one thing, in the middle of a high mountain trail is whole nudder story.

It is about the driver's ability to get his rig through and make smart choices when a problem arises. Be prepared to spend a night or two at >12,000 ft, be prepared to fix a flat, be prepared to wrench on the rig, go in with as much gas and water as you can. Things happen, make sure somebody knows your general plan for the day. There's not always going to be somebody there to assist. On that trouble free day you will breeze through in 2-3 hours and wonder what all that fuss was about.

No doubt Black Bear can be done by a variety of rigs, don't be fooled by a low technical rating, it's not the complete story on these remote high mountain trails. Certainly you can get far more remote than Black Bear, it is still formidable.

The stock T case gears in my Sami were crap, it was not really low range. I once drove to work in low range with the stock gears and it wasn't too bad, that should be near impossible with proper gear ratios. I could do it today, but it would take me hours to get there. Low gears and lockers, that's my first choice for off road performance. Oops, drifting off the mark a little.

If you go, prepare and take lots of pictures.:thunb::2c:

JeffX
July 31st, 2010, 10:52 AM
Not sure if you are just stating it to state it, or if you are implying I don't have low range... but the Brat does have low range.

I wasn't sure, so just made the statement. The biggest issue with the Brat will be the 4WIS -w- no locker.

I recommend Imogene.

Funrover
July 31st, 2010, 02:33 PM
I'd do Black Bear in a 100% stock SUV. I don't find it bad at all. I don't have lockers, when ran it I really didn't have anything. The turns are narrow and tight, just takes a multi point turn. The biggest issue is the low range.