PDA

View Full Version : Kingpin Dana 60?

sunk
July 22nd, 2010, 03:32 PM
Ive started my search for a one ton front end. I think I should be looking for a GM dana 60 with kingpin joints but Im not sure.
Ive purchased a 14 bolt rear w/4.56 gears and detroit locker, now I need the front...Ideally high steer with a selectable locker and 35 spline cromolly shafts with portals on the end and...urgh, maybe I should just start with purchasing a axel.

What is the difference between kingpin axels and...the other kind (ball joint?)
Is there a high pinion dana 60 front?
What year trucks used one tons? (if I want to search the junk yard...am I going to get a lower price than craigslist?)
What other considerations should I be concerned about?

Ive seen them on craigslist from $700 to $2500, I guess I want to spend around 1k, then build it for next year.

Thanks in advance for any help

colomil
July 22nd, 2010, 04:16 PM
All GM Dana 60's were of the passenger side diff/kingpin variety. Most of the older (pre 93) dodge dana 60's were similar. Ford used ball joint and kingpins over the years but they were all driver side diff. Ford had the high pinion, and I am pretty sure all GM/Dodge were low pinion. Kingpin D60's are way stronger than balljoints and are more easily converted to crossover steering.

The best bet for your truck would be a GM dana 60 from a 77-87 (88-91 crew) 1 ton. You will get boned on price through junkyards and craigslist. The best deal out there is to find a rusty old 1 ton sitting in a farmers field. If you find an old beater you could swap axles and turn around and sell the truck. I bet you will get your D60 for very cheap. If you don't have the time/energy for this then craigslist would be an option, followed by smaller junkyards. Plan on forking over at least $800 for a rusty, beat up axle that will need work.

Once you get the D60, you will need different spring pads/u-bolts because the axle to perch distance is probably an inch more than a D44 and the pass side spring pad uses two 5/8 course thread bolts instead of u-bolts. You can get a crossover steering arm for a good price through rocky mountain quality machining (look up RMQM on ebay) and you can get the drag link stuff through places like sky-manufacturing or offroaddesign.com. You should also plan on putting in new teflon bushings & springs on the kingpins as these are prone to wearing out/breaking and causing death wobble. Unless you are putting out big horsepower and running huge tires, the 35 spline outers would be overkill. I think your front driveshaft splines & u-joints would be the weak link anyway.

sunk
August 2nd, 2010, 11:34 AM
I guess Ill be looking for an older 1 ton chevy, but I would start my search on craigslist...? Im also fairly interested in a high pinion axel, um, I guess it wouldnt matter since the 14 bolt I have hangs down so low. I plan on having to rebuild the axel anyway, and I have all winter to do that.

Hypoid
August 2nd, 2010, 05:21 PM
Get in the habit of touring the self-serve junkyards. Every now and again, that coveted part falls out of the sky. The trick is to be there when it lands. :)

sunk
October 5th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Bump!
Still looking for the front, but now I have the money!

mushroomax
October 5th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Get in the habit of touring the self-serve junkyards. Every now and again, that coveted part falls out of the sky. The trick is to be there when it lands. :)

x2. Use all resources (internet, friends, shops, word of mouth etc.) but never underestimate the junkyards. With that being said though, 60's and 14 bolts are very scarce in Colorado especially along the front range. In fact, just recently, a buddy of mine drove all the way out to Montana and back to pick up a truck load of parts including some 14 bolts, front 60's etc. because quite frankly he stated "there ain't **** in Colorado no more"

Brody
October 6th, 2010, 04:53 AM
Western Auto Parts on Federal near I76 had two F/R Dana 60/70 combos when Robert and I were in there about 6 weeks ago. And these were the ones that were closest to the main walkways that everyone was walking by. There was another one set farther back, a 3/4/1 ton Chevy 4x4 that also had a full set of axles on it that we spotted sitting in another isle.

Like Mike said, they are there...