PDA

View Full Version : Broken Winch?

1freaky1
June 28th, 2010, 06:29 AM
Since I broke my new winch on Geneva Creek, I got the thing out and am in the process of fixing it but have a really good question, How bad can the steel line get kinked before you should replace it?

I put up a pic of the line when I get home from work this morning.

Brody
June 28th, 2010, 07:32 AM
I'll show you mine sometime, either the front or the back one. You use a winch with a steel line, the cable is going to get kinks in it sooner or later. If it gets to the point where the kink looks like someone took a big hammer to it when it had the bend in it, then maybe you should consider replacing it. Most of the time a kink from regular usage isn't going to be a big deal. I don't think I have ever had a steel winch line that didn't show use in the form of kinks after it had gotten used more than twice. Nature of the beast and all that.....

1freaky1
June 28th, 2010, 03:01 PM
I hear you on that Pete. Yes in one spot it does look like it was flattened by a big hammer, you can see it is untwisted a bit there too it is in the 2nd pic.

Brody
June 28th, 2010, 03:43 PM
I wouldn't worry about that. It may never lay down really well on the roll again, but that is pretty minor. It may even straighten out the next time you roll it up if there is enough pressure on the line. Use the Ford Focus as weight to rewind it. The smaller rigs work great as a line weight.....

1freaky1
June 28th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Hey I did not even think of using the Focus, good idea. I was going to use the telephone pole behind the garage and pull the truck up the hill but I am liking your idea much better.

WINKY
June 28th, 2010, 03:54 PM
sean, ive had kinds worse than that in my line and after usage they straightened up fairly well. i think that if the splay out and stay that way then its time to get another rope.

1freaky1
June 28th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Thanks Pete & Randy, I was thinking of getting a synthetic rope with some of the OT I have coming but I think I will put that $$ towards a locker for the 9" instead.

WINKY
June 28th, 2010, 04:52 PM
good choice :)