4x4
    1990 Cherokee
    User Name
    Hypoid
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Back Surgery

I just want to thank you guys for convincing me I need to get back on a bicycle, while I can still enjoy good health.

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Hypoid previously posted:
    "I just want to thank you guys for convincing me I need to get back on a bicycle, while I can still enjoy good health."

Good idea Mike! I'm now the guy on runs saying "Lift with your legs dammit!"

Last Online
    August 19th, 2021
    4x4
    1992 Range Rover Classic
    User Name
    Swank1975
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

Yeah if you've been putting off taking walks, doing some crunches, and exercising do it now. It's a hundred times harder after one of these injuries.

Last Online
    August 19th, 2021
    4x4
    1992 Range Rover Classic
    User Name
    Swank1975
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

I have to say this week I'm feeling much better. Been walking, doing PT exercises etc. Looked at my insurance costs for the year. LOL For 2017 I've had $458,471 billed to my insurance and they have paid $85,480. That shows how much write off there is. I do have to give props to Spine One in Lonetree they really worked with my surgeon and I to write off quite a bit and helped out a ton.

I'm very happy I've went ahead and had this done. Today I have my primary care checkup new doctor I've not met yet then PT in the afternoon. As I keep feeling better I'm eager for more workouts to get stronger.

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Keep it up Mike!

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    97 Dodge CTD, 85 4R, 89 YJ, 04 Kawasaki Mule
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

Good to hear Mike!

Last Online
    August 19th, 2021
    4x4
    1992 Range Rover Classic
    User Name
    Swank1975
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

Well here's my latest update:

69 days later!

PT today was a mix of hamstring and lower back massage. Scare tissue is good and my cramping of my hami is reduced. We did exercise ball stuff today like putting my stomach on the ball and walking out to a plank position with just my feet on the ball, pelvic tilts with the ball on my stomach and my arms pushing the ball down to my knees at the same time, and laying on my back with my heels on the ball then lifting my midsection off the floor until I'm straight from my shoulders to my heels which are on top of the ball in a bridge. Then the advanced movement of the last one was to pull my feet in bending my knees while in that bridge position to work the hamstring muscles.

This afternoon the wife and I did a 1.7 mile bike ride just on the loop in our neighborhood. That was pretty good except my ass is not used to the saddle. Gotta work my way back into that. I also need to keep doing my calf exercises to strengthen my right leg that is now weaker. I'm pretty happy.

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

Good to hear you are still progressing greatly! Hoping the continued recovery goes well!

I unfortunately ended up tearing a calf muscle while doing PT a few weeks ago. Thought it was getting better and ended up hurting it worse this weekend. Now my leg is black and blue and it really sucks to walk. Oh the joys of a falling apart body...

Last Online
    August 19th, 2021
    4x4
    1992 Range Rover Classic
    User Name
    Swank1975
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

Ouch. I need to keep doing my nose to wall exercises. My PT says calf raises arent that good because we don't walk like a calf raise moves (at least non ballet people). LOL The nose to wall exercises work really well to strengthen Achilles and calf muscles.

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,008 Times in 2,005 Posts

Brucker previously posted:
    "Oh the joys of a falling apart body..."

A chuckle with good natured humor behind it - that KelTec tool might be "not suitable for sensitive backs"...

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

Swank1975 previously posted:
    "Ouch. I need to keep doing my nose to wall exercises. My PT says calf raises arent that good because we don't walk like a calf raise moves (at least non ballet people). LOL The nose to wall exercises work really well to strengthen Achilles and calf muscles."

Mine actually popped the first time while doing lunges. It had been really tight for months. Guess I now know why... PT says it might be as long as a 6-8 week recovery, but that was before I re-injured it again this past weekend.

It's my left calf with means now I get to limp on both sides seeing as the sciatica is on my right. Never thought one could double limp...

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

Jim previously posted:
    "A chuckle with good natured humor behind it - that KelTec tool might be "not suitable for sensitive backs"..."

Lucky for me, I don't have to do many squats while shooting. That is really the only time my back gives me fits anymore. Well, that and heavy lifting.

I am trying to find some new hobbies, as work and jumping vehicles aren't great ones for me anymore. Shooting has always relaxed me. And I have a hard time surviving without some sort of competition. So I am thinking that combining the two may be a good thing. 3 gun comps look and sound like a blast (pun intended!).

13. The Following Member Says Thanks to Brucker For This Post:

Jim (July 18th, 2017)

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Sorry to hear about the step backward Aaron. Hang in there!

"Oh the joys of a falling apart body..."

You're just getting a taste.

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Swank1975 previously posted:
    "Well here's my latest update:

69 days later!

PT today was a mix of hamstring and lower back massage. Scare tissue is good and my cramping of my hami is reduced. We did exercise ball stuff today like putting my stomach on the ball and walking out to a plank position with just my feet on the ball, pelvic tilts with the ball on my stomach and my arms pushing the ball down to my knees at the same time, and laying on my back with my heels on the ball then lifting my midsection off the floor until I'm straight from my shoulders to my heels which are on top of the ball in a bridge. Then the advanced movement of the last one was to pull my feet in bending my knees while in that bridge position to work the hamstring muscles.

This afternoon the wife and I did a 1.7 mile bike ride just on the loop in our neighborhood. That was pretty good except my ass is not used to the saddle. Gotta work my way back into that. I also need to keep doing my calf exercises to strengthen my right leg that is now weaker. I'm pretty happy."

Nice progress Mike, you're so far beyond where I was at the point, I'm impressed! Keep it up.

Reading what you and Aaron do at PT really shows how differently therapists think. Interesting.

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

Chris previously posted:
    "Sorry to hear about the step backward Aaron. Hang in there!

You're just getting a taste. "

Thanks! It wasn't a huge step backward as it wasn't my back, so I am not that bummed about it. More just hate the sudden reminder of it every time I move my leg.

And I know I am just getting a taste of what is to come. That part really bums me out. Took me a long time to figure out and care that my actions have consequences, and I am just starting to pay for my prior sins. Karma can be a real *****.

So how are you doing Chris? Haven't had an update from you lately.

17. The Following Member Says Thanks to Brucker For This Post:

Swank1975 (July 17th, 2017)

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

Chris previously posted:
    "
    Reading what you and Aaron do at PT really shows how differently therapists think. Interesting."

As far as between his and my workouts? Or between what Mike and I have been doing and what you are? Or both?

I have done all the exercises that Mike has listed. I am just progressing at a quicker rate since I didn't have a fusion meaning less healing has to be done since no muscle was cut, and no bone modified. He will get to do the same stuff I am doing now soon enough. That said, I have noticed a HUGE difference in the level of care and personal attention that I have received from the PT I am working with now, over the PT I saw after my surgery two years ago. Night and day difference. This PT is awesome and seems to actually care how I am improving and how we can work together to best get me back to as close to where I want to be. That and this PT is a little firecracker who keeps me on my toes and doesn't let me slack off. She is really teaching me the benefits to daily exercise and stretching.

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

"Thanks! It wasn't a huge step backward as it wasn't my back, so I am not that bummed about it. More just hate the sudden reminder of it every time I move my leg.

And I know I am just getting a taste of what is to come. That part really bums me out. Took me a long time to figure out and care that my actions have consequences, and I am just starting to pay for my prior sins. Karma can be a real *****.

So how are you doing Chris? Haven't had an update from you lately."

I'm doing ok, my back is fine which is nice. I'm at the point where I'm experiencing the consequences you mentioned and am paying for my past belief I was invulnerable. The disappointing thing is the back exercises, planking in particular, has renewed shoulder issues. Cortisone injections have helped knock that back so I'm optimistic they'll return to their previous state. Sigh. I've apparently entered the old man period of going from one ailment to another. Back, shoulders and now chronic bronchitis has me accepting the reality that living without concern for my first 30 years was stupid.

As far as the similarities and differences in PT it's just interesting that different therapists use similar methods but different approaches. I credit my PT with my comparatively quick recovery but, for example, I never had any involving using a ball as Mike mentioned. I suspect it's a combination of therapist preference and patient condition.

Last Online
    August 19th, 2021
    4x4
    1992 Range Rover Classic
    User Name
    Swank1975
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

Perhaps. My PT is pretty young. I spend all of my time working with him not a PT tech in a bigger practice. I think he is pretty current on new techniques etc. He does lot of CE including dry needling (not on me) and cupping (has done on my back muscles). He has really worked on massaging my back muscles and scar tissue to make sure it's not attaching and is loose. He is a trail runner and back packer who had back issues in college and through PT learned to manage them. That was when he changed his degree and went into PT.

My latest ball exercise is laying on the ball on my stomach and walking forward so I am in the plank position then back again to my midsection being on the ball. Then with my legs off the floor and my midsection on the ball I do swimming kicks with my legs straight out to engage the glutes and back muscles. We also do lots of resistance band stuff where I step away from the anchor point and resist the bands wanting to make me twist. This is all to engage the core.

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Dry needling was my final and successful therapy for a muscle knot that wouldn't go away. I was skeptical but it works.

22. The Following Member Says Thanks to Chris For This Post:

Swank1975 (July 18th, 2017)

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

Just got medically cleared to return to full work duty! Said since I have been doing it thus far without any problems, then I should be good to go. No more meds or doctor visits unless pain comes back. I will continue with PT until my insurance cuts me off, but will continue my daily exercises and 3 times a week workouts forever.

Feels great to be cleared. And honestly my back feels WAY better and stronger than it did at any point after my 2015 surgery. PT saved me. I am a firm believer now.

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 1213141516 LastLast