'13 JK "Linus"
    User Name
    Heather
    Real Name
    DRT GRL
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Transient Camping

Paul previously posted:

The sheer amount of trash they pulled was breathtaking. Val is my hero.

Last Online
    6 Days Ago
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

"Around 50 volunteers pitch in to help with these clean up, where they gathered trash ranging from televisions to tires"

This isn't the transient's mess, it's locals too lazy to dispose of their crap properly.

Last Online
    9 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,045 Times in 2,022 Posts

I see a lot of the trash riddled with holes (assume bullets, assume shooters leaving trash behind). SMH

Last Online
    2 Days Ago
    4x4
    JKUR
    User Name
    Getaklu
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Park county started some new camping restrictions last year, for private land as well. The intent is to keep the "green rushers" from buying a cheap piece of land and trashing it. Many are doing it, no septic, no well, and makeshift wood burners put in trailers. This is a statewide epidemic if that word isn't too strong.
    "A wise and frugal government...shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government." Thomas Jefferson

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

"It’s people who purposely go to remote parts of the desert and dump things because they are too lazy to drive to the county landfill or too cheap to pay for properly disposing of it... Much of the trash picked up in the desert near 34 and C roads on Sunday were electronic items and automobile tires, items that require money for disposal... Bates estimates they picked up about 12 tons worth. He said it’s clear from the type of trash that is found that it is not the Jeep drivers, ATV riders, motorcyclists or gun shooters who are dumping it."

http://www.gjsentinel.com/news/articles/other-peoples-trash-no-treasure-when-theyre-litter

Last Online
    June 14th, 2017
    4x4
    1997 Jeep ZJ
    User Name
    Danimal
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Thanks Given

I would never condone dumping like this, but when I went to the dump last week it was nearly $80 for a level truck bed. No hazmat, nothing dangerous, just scrap wood and random junk that was not recyclable. When you charge that much, it is just going to encourage this type of behavior. I think that would be a good place to start to fix the problems. Having more free dump and community clean up days would prevent the trash from getting out there in the first place.

One of my major concerns for Left Hand shooting area was that people were being very unsafe and I never saw LE of any kind while I was up there. Shooters would regularly bring trash and shoot it all to hell and leave it. When the trash was all shot up, they would start shooting trees. That breaks so many Colorado laws, it happened every single time I was there, and I never once saw any law enforcement out there writing tickets.

It is a combination of the negative reinforcement of charging so much to dump trash, and having almost zero accountability or consequences for breaking the law.

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

I agree, I had to dump the remains of my front porch when I bought my house and it cost almost as much as the new materials to rebuild it. I think they would be better served in Grand Junction to lower or remove dump fees and raise fines for illegal dumping at the same time. Maybe statewide.

Last Online
    June 14th, 2017
    4x4
    1997 Jeep ZJ
    User Name
    Danimal
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Thanks Given

Paul previously posted:
    "I agree, I had to dump the remains of my front porch when I bought my house and it cost almost as much as the new materials to rebuild it. I think they would be better served in Grand Junction to lower or remove dump fees and raise fines for illegal dumping at the same time. Maybe statewide."

That would help the whole problem out. One of my neighbors has a bunch of crap beside his house and his excuse is always that it costs too much to dump it. I load up a truck load every free dump day that I can, but it would be nice if the cost was $10 - 15 then I would just go whenever I needed to rather than accumulating a bunch of crap and waiting for the free day when 5000 people all line up making take forever.

I see crap dumped on the side of the dirt roads in weld county too. It would be nice to see massive fines and real enforcement on that as well. I know that they cannot be everywhere all the time, but there are some spots that get hit all the time. I imagine a $1000 littering fine with mandatory community service would get the word out pretty quick.

Last Online
    June 14th, 2017
    4x4
    1997 Jeep ZJ
    User Name
    Danimal
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Thanks Given

Here is the summary of the Colorado statute:

Colo. Rev. Stat. §18-4-511
    Class 2 petty offense. First conviction: fine between $20 and $500. Second conviction: fine between $50 and $1,000. Subsequent convictions: fine between $100 and $1,000.

Some states start at a misdemeanor and have jail time for intentional repeat offenders. A $50 fine is not going to deter anyone that knows that it is $80 to go to the dump...

10. The Following Member Says Thanks to Danimal For This Post:

Java (June 7th, 2017)

Last Online
    December 6th, 2023
    4x4
    '14 Grand Cherokee, '01 F350
    User Name
    Bob
    Real Name
    Bob
    Thanks Given

Danimal previously posted:
    "I would never condone dumping like this, but when I went to the dump last week it was nearly $80 for a level truck bed. No hazmat, nothing dangerous, just scrap wood and random junk that was not recyclable. When you charge that much, it is just going to encourage this type of behavior. I think that would be a good place to start to fix the problems. Having more free dump and community clean up days would prevent the trash from getting out there in the first place.

One of my major concerns for Left Hand shooting area was that people were being very unsafe and I never saw LE of any kind while I was up there. Shooters would regularly bring trash and shoot it all to hell and leave it. When the trash was all shot up, they would start shooting trees. That breaks so many Colorado laws, it happened every single time I was there, and I never once saw any law enforcement out there writing tickets.

It is a combination of the negative reinforcement of charging so much to dump trash, and having almost zero accountability or consequences for breaking the law."

Wow - $80! And I thought that Larimer county was expensive at about $20 for a level load.

Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago
    4x4
    Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
    User Name
    Max
    Real Name
    Max
    Thanks Given

13. The Following Member Says Thanks to Max For This Post:

Java (June 10th, 2017)