4x4
    Colorado Z71
    User Name
    BlackRubi
    Real Name
    Kyle Payne
    Thanks Given

Default Treadwright Guard Dog Retread Long-term Review

I know a few of you were skeptical and/or curious about how these tires perform and hold up. This will serve as my long term review of the tires, probably to a year out but possibly longer. I plan on posting after every trail run and periodically throughout the year describing trail performance, snow performance (after winter rolls around), tread depth, and any other isses. To see how the tires are made, sizes available (up to 37"), and tread patterns, check out the website at www.treadwright.com.

After extensive thought and research, I decided to just replace the Rubicon's MT/Rs with the same size (31"). Since I still don't have the lift my wife promised me, I didn't really want to up the tire size yet. So, after picking the size, it was time to pick a tread design. They have multiple all-terrain designs including an almost exact replica of the BFG AT (Warden is the name of that design for Treadwright). On the mud tire side of the house, they have almost an exact copy of the old MT/R design (the Guard Dog) along with a few other designs. I seriously considered the Warden, but I would have to buy five tires to have a matching spare (not that it would cost that much more). I decided to go with the Guard Dog so that I would only have to buy four tires. Then to pick the sidewalls. Treadwright made it policy to send out matching sets of sidewalls. If you don't specifically request a certain sidewall, it seems that they tend to send out Michelin LTX MS2 sidewalls. If you request certain sidewalls, they do everything that they can to get you what you want (it's best to call to make sure they have what you want before ordering). Now to decide whether or not I wanted the "Kedge Grip", which is an additive composed of crushed walnut shells and crushed glass. The walnut shells are designed to come out of the tread, leaving small (approx. 1mm) holes that act as extra siping. The glass is designed to stay in longer to add a gritty feeling to the tread and provide extra grip on the road. I decided to just go the cheap route and leave the Kedge Grip out (however, it's only $10 extra per tire).

First off, Treadwright customer service is fan-damn-tastic. In the few times that I called to ask multiple questions, not once did I get any rudeness or anything but professionalism and hospitality. I called them up to see if they had MT/R sidewalls for the Guard Dogs. The representative that I spoke to said that they did and if that is what I wanted those, to make a note in the "Special Instructions" portion of the order form. So I ordered my tires exactly the way I wanted them, specifically requesting Goodyear Wrangler MT/R sidewalls. I told them that the representative I spoke to said that getting those sidewalls wouldn't be a problem, but if, however, they were not available to please use BFG Mud-Terrain or All-Terrain sidewalls. Total cost, delivered to my door: $394. I placed my order last Friday night. Monday was a holiday, so the tires shipped on Tuesday. They arrived on Thursday with regular old FedEx Ground (they offer faster delivery for something like $400, but the $55 FedEx Ground was plenty fast.

Today I took the tires to get mounted and balanced. After price shopping, I found that Wal-Mart had the best deal. Big O and Discount tire were around $80, plus additional cost for a lifetime rotate/balance plan. Smaller shops quoted me in the mid-$50 range with no lifetime plan. Wal-Mart was right at $50 with lifetime balance and rotations included. The guys at the tire shop said that if I didn't tell them that they were retreads, they wouldn't have known. The only thing that they noticed was that the finish on the tread was a little more rough than other tires. One guy even asked for the website so that he could check them out and maybe order some for his truck.

On the drive home I was expecting the usual rhythmic "wah wah wah wah" that I had becomed accustomed to. What I got...a slight whine. Much, much quieter than my old tires. Also, no more death wobble!!!! My old tires' treadwear had unbalanced the tires and the 47-51mph range scared the s#!t out of my wife a couple of times. They grip the road like they're made of glue and sandpaper. So far, I'm extremely impressed with the quality, look, on-road performance, and price of my Treadwrights.

Again, I'll be checking in on this thread often to update and review the tires. Hope this helps.

Name:  Treadwright1..jpg
Views: 55287
Size:  88.4 KB
    Name:  Treadwright3..jpg
Views: 51433
Size:  27.8 KB
    Name:  Treadwright4..jpg
Views: 49050
Size:  23.4 KB
    Name:  Treadwright2..jpg
Views: 53276
Size:  39.0 KB

2. The Following Member Says Thanks to BlackRubi For This Post:

AnyHeep (January 25th, 2013)

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Treadwright Guard Dog Retread Long-term Review

I'll be watching this Kyle and thanks for stopping by on your way home. These are good looking tires and I'll predict the result will be good since the technology behind retreads has changed considerably over the years.

That is the same tread pattern I got. Mine were 285/75R16D. If I remember right, they were about $100/tire out the door mounted & balanced from Tire King.

Speaking of tires, I just mounted my spare 37x12.50R16.5 by hand.... Lets just say it sucked.

I will be following this thread as I am thinking of going with retreads on the cherokee...

Last Online
    January 2nd, 2014
    4x4
    1988 Toyota Landcruiser (FJ62)
    User Name
    Mporter
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

Very interested.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

colomil previously posted:
    "Speaking of tires, I just mounted my spare 37x12.50R16.5 by hand.... Lets just say it sucked."

That's a fact. The 38x15.50x15s that I have on my heap got hand mounted by me and Harry Lewellyn from Staun, because of the Staun beadlocks. Sucks....yes it does..

Interested to hear about these tires. They certainly look good.

Last Online
    June 12th, 2016
    4x4
    Colorado Z71
    User Name
    BlackRubi
    Real Name
    Kyle Payne
    Thanks Given

Thanks, Pete. I was really impressed with how they looked when they showed up. I figured that it would be easy to spot that they were retreads. Also, Pete, thanks for all of your insight about death wobbles. I crawled up under the Jeep to check out all of the linkage first, no shiny metal or anything that would indicate trackbar or anything like that. Then I figured it was the tire coming unbalanced from treadwear, and I needed tires anyway, so I went that route. Problem solved. I think I may still need an alignment looking at the wear on one tire (a little diagonal scuffing), so it's probably a toe issue.

If I had the time and equipment to make it a little easier, I would have mounted them myself. $50 with lifetime balance and rotations sounded good to me though. The wife told me that I should have just done the lighter fluid trick to mount them. I decided that I like having eyebrows, and with my luck......we all know what would have happened.

They look great!

Will be watching this...

Last Online
    October 4th, 2013
    4x4
    1989 GMC K5 Jimmy 1977 Chevy Luv
    User Name
    Red Rhino
    Real Name
    Bryan
    Thanks Given

Great thread, keep us up to date.

Bryan

Any offroad pics yet?

Last Online
    October 4th, 2013
    4x4
    User Name
    Red Rhino
    Real Name
    Bryan
    Thanks Given

Have you had them in mud, snow or rocks?

Bryan

Last Online
    June 12th, 2016
    4x4
    Colorado Z71
    User Name
    BlackRubi
    Real Name
    Kyle Payne
    Thanks Given

Haven't had a chance to take them to any trails yet due to an issue with my 4WD (torque shaft on the transfer case linkage came out of it's retainer). I did take them in the mud behind Buckley in 2WD. They performed beautifully! I didn't get stuck, even in 2WD and they clean out very well. On-road/highway manners are extraordinary. By far, they are the quietest off-road tires that I have ever run on a rig. They emit a slight whine starting at about 20MPH and becomes a higher pitch as speed increases, but doesn't actually get louder. I am still very, very impressed with the tires. As soon as I get the linkage fixed, I'll get them out on the rocks and let everyone know how they do.

Last Online
    October 4th, 2013
    4x4
    User Name
    Red Rhino
    Real Name
    Bryan
    Thanks Given

Thanks for the update

Last Online
    June 12th, 2016
    4x4
    Colorado Z71
    User Name
    BlackRubi
    Real Name
    Kyle Payne
    Thanks Given

Still no offroad adventures for the Guard Dogs. Been working a lot and haven't had a chance to get the linkage fixed, much less wheel. Still extremely happy with their on-road performance. I did notice that they track a little more on grooved roads than the old MT/Rs. I'm guessing this is due to the slightly softer tread compound than regular tires. I don't have to fight to steer or anything, but grooved roads are a little more noticeable with these tires. They've seen just short of 1000 miles and they still look like I put them on yesterday. No abnormal treadwear, or anything of that sort. When I finally get to take them offroad and if they perform like I think they will, I think I will have found my new source for tires.

Last Online
    February 12th, 2016
    4x4
    1999 Explorer Sport
    User Name
    AccordRanger
    Real Name
    Shayne
    Thanks Given

If you wanna test the off road we can always put them on my explorer!
    Hope you can get them off road soon.

Last Online
    June 12th, 2016
    4x4
    Colorado Z71
    User Name
    BlackRubi
    Real Name
    Kyle Payne
    Thanks Given

OK. I know it's only been 3 days since my last post, but I'll post again anyway. The tires are still performing beautifully! I finally got my linkage fixed and am planning on going on the MSV/Coney run this Saturday. I think that trail will provide a good variety of terrain on which to test the tire's abilities. Not sure if I'm going to air down very much, but I'll do a little. I'm still trying to convince the wife to go, but with her being 8 months pregnant, I'm not sure if it will happen.

Last Online
    November 18th, 2016
    4x4
    2001 Jeep XJ
    User Name
    MelloYello
    Real Name
    Keith
    Thanks Given

Hey - This is an interesting thread. I'll be watching to find out after a year if you still like them. The price is sure right. : )
    8 mo. prego and a bumpy trail may not be a good mix.?

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

I am curious as to how well they hold up when they are aired down. I usually air down to around 8 pounds for harder trails and between 12 and 18 for general trail use, so that is a viable concern for me. Someone who considers "airing down" to equate to 20 pounds probably isn't going to have an issue...

Last Online
    June 12th, 2016
    4x4
    Colorado Z71
    User Name
    BlackRubi
    Real Name
    Kyle Payne
    Thanks Given

I usually do 15 or so psi. I was thinking 18 or so for the first few runs I do with the Treadwrights. The magazines that reviewed them had them down to 10-12 range and they did well.

Keith, she's ready to be done with this pregnancy. We're doing a homebirth anyway and she even considered going camping when she is due and giving birth in the woods. This may just be the ticket. LOL.
    You'll see how they do on the run this weekend.

Last Online
    November 18th, 2016
    4x4
    2001 Jeep XJ
    User Name
    MelloYello
    Real Name
    Keith
    Thanks Given

BlackRubi previously posted:
    "Keith, she's ready to be done with this pregnancy. We're doing a homebirth anyway and she even considered going camping when she is due and giving birth in the woods. This may just be the ticket. LOL.
    You'll see how they do on the run this weekend."

Maybe we should all bring extra towls and stoves to boil water... Just kiding : )

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast