4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Default Yankee Hill 3/3/10

This was fun in a winching & winching & winching & winching sort of way.

DrOldUnit, Smash and myself made a valiant effort to make some headway up Yankee Hill. I'd like to say we made it but we didn't even get close. As a matter of fact we made it about 26,400 feet. Yeah a rather feeble attempt to make 1/2 mile sound like something substantial. It was fun, a beautiful warm & sunny day which is also what made it difficult. As the day went on and the winching continued the snow melted and became very greasy. I'm not sure of how many times Rob winched himself but I know I did 3 times to cover a good 50 feet before calling it quits.

I'll see if I have any pics at all, I forgot I had my spare camera until the last minute.

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Yankee Hill 3/3/10

Not much as far as pics, it's Ash's fault since he had plenty of opportunity to take pics.

Psssssssssssssssst.....

I didn't winch. *grin

That was lots of fun, I really enjoyed it, even with the stop/go/stop/go/stop/go winching. Beautiful up there, nice to get out of the "heat" of Denver. I needed the mountains today, glad I got to share it with you guys!

I gotta show you the fun way to go though instead of past that cemetery. I was honking but you didn't stop!

I FORGOT MY CAMERA!! I should have just turned around and gotten it, but I didn't want to be late.

Sounds like I've done more "offroading" when I drove up to Apex and back It was nice to see you guys, and I had a nice time driving today. Came down through Blackhawk and then back on to I70 East. Too bad you couldn't make much of the trip, it sure was a beautiful day!

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Smash previously posted:
    "Psssssssssssssssst..... I didn't winch. *grin"

You didn't get as far a me either.

My winching was when I decided to back up since I heard Rob spinning his wheels. I backed up and jumped the tracks I had made and ended up about 3" from a tree and moving closer every touch of the gas. I winched out, went forward a few feet and sunk again. Winched and sank after about 20 feet, winched again, backed up and turned around. Nobody argued with that!

Haha, yeah you guys got farther than me. Just had to have a happy moment that NOT having a winch didn't totally screw me.

I saw when you got sucked into the side of the trail by that tree. Man you were DEEP!!

Last Online
    December 19th, 2020
    4x4
    2008 FJ Cruiser/1982 FJ40
    User Name
    Rob
    Real Name
    Rob
    Thanks Given

Fun day, except for the winching every time I hit a soft spot and lost mo. Didn't take my usual camera full of pics. Too busy winching. Chris should have had plenty of time to get pics of me winching, but he busy taking the quad riders minds off the fact that they couldn't get around me.

And Ash's Suburban rocks in the snow.

Name:  Ash.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  46.3 KB

Name:  Chris 2.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  45.7 KB

Finally forgot to take the Hi-Lift off my roof rack before pulling into the garage. :( Fortunately, it just took out half the molding and not the garage door itself. And, fortunately, I adjusted the garage door up after I had the 40 lifted so it would fit (barely) in the garage. Now I have a project to take care of when it warms up. :( But now I also have an excuse to get a jack mount that will fit the stinger on the FJC's bumper.

Name:  Garage door carnage.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  26.0 KB

Last Online
    December 19th, 2020
    4x4
    User Name
    Rob
    Real Name
    Rob
    Thanks Given

Oh, yes, and kudos to the Gilpin County deputy who pulled me over on 119 a few miles shy of Central City and DIDN'T give me ticket. Said he clocked me at 55 in a 45 and watched me accelerate from there. So he had good reason to ticket me. I think the garage door carnage was karma for that.

WHOOPS!!

Yeah, it was a good day for the burb. Lots and lots of getting sideways on the skinny trails, but thankfully most of the snow wasn't deep enough to really bog me down. Can't tell you the number of times I'd be driving down the skinny trail with trees on both sides, happily in the ruts, and all of a sudden my *** was one direction, my front was the other, and I was no longer facing down the trail. :lol: Had to stop twice to back up and re-align, thankfully didn't hold anybody up. Wonder if either Rob or Chris noticed the tracks off the trail on the way back when the 'burb got squirrely on the way up.

DrOldUnit previously posted:
    "Oh, yes, and kudos to the Gilpin County deputy who pulled me over on 119 a few miles shy of Central City and DIDN'T give me ticket. Said he clocked me at 55 in a 45 and watched me accelerate from there. So he had good reason to ticket me. I think the garage door carnage was karma for that."

Was he in a dark blue SUV?

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

"Chris should have had plenty of time to get pics of me winching, but he busy taking the quad riders minds off the fact that they couldn't get around me."

They were fine with the wait Rob but what I should have done was use your camera and take a video of you winching.

Sorry about the garage door, you're among a huge group of folks that have done the same thing, me included.

I guess I should count myself lucky that I couldn't fit a stock suburban in my garage (even if it was empty!).

Smash previously posted:
    "Psssssssssssssssst.....

I didn't winch. *grin
    "

LMFAO!!! Hope to make Switz again this weekend!

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Rob, I have your gloves. :o

Last Online
    December 19th, 2020
    4x4
    User Name
    Rob
    Real Name
    Rob
    Thanks Given

Smash previously posted:
    "Was he in a dark blue SUV?"

No, he was in a white truck, with no lights on the top. He had grill lights. I thought it was a county truck until the lights came on.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

"Finally forgot to take the Hi-Lift off my roof rack before pulling into the garage. :( Fortunately, it just took out half the molding and not the garage door itself. And, fortunately, I adjusted the garage door up after I had the 40 lifted so it would fit (barely) in the garage. Now I have a project to take care of when it warms up. :( But now I also have an excuse to get a jack mount that will fit the stinger on the FJC's bumper.

Name:  Garage door carnage.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  26.0 KB"

HAHA....looks like a fun time...Ash's and Karla's Surburban has horsepower, weight, tires...and a good combination of them all. Nice set up...

Well, don't feel bad Rob, I cratered the garage door in the day I put the stinger on my my front bumper. I have since fixed and repainted the garage door, straightened the metal bar, greased and oiled all of the wheels and tracks and still hear about the garage door almost two years later. In fact, it was brought up in a conversation not too many days ago....

Last Online
    August 19th, 2014
    4x4
    2007 FJ Cruiser
    User Name
    Pathrat
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks Given

Chris previously posted:
    "Sorry about the garage door, you're among a huge group of folks that have done the same thing, me included."

Whenever we get back from a run Gatemonkey and I both repeat to each other, out loud, "Don't pull into the garage!" or we would do the exact same thing.

Last Online
    December 19th, 2020
    4x4
    User Name
    Rob
    Real Name
    Rob
    Thanks Given

Chris previously posted:
    "Rob, I have your gloves. :o"

Of course you do. And my tree strap is probably still wrapped around a tree on Yankee Hill. That's what happens when one forgetful guy lends something to another forgetful guy.

Pathrat previously posted:
    "Whenever we get back from a run Gatemonkey and I both repeat to each other, out loud, "Don't pull into the garage!" or we would do the exact same thing."

One of these days, both of you are going to forget. I'd remembered for more than 30 runs, then WHAM. You just have to forget once. I'm definitely going to start mounting the jack on the stinger, as soon as I can get new mounts.

Looks like fun, bet Ash was able to plow thru pretty easy with that heavy beast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast