Front Range 4x4 Upcoming Trail Runs - Add a New Trail Run

Thread: If you have an extra $700 to burn.....

Default If you have an extra $700 to burn.....

I like this cable.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Default Re: If you have an extra $700 to burn.....

Wow...26k+ breaking strength...but, alas, for the man (or woman) who has everything...Looks like it is going to be my tried and true steel cable for awhile...

Got winch cables x2, so the 'extra $700' would go for a 6mm overbored throttle body with roller bearings and a disc brake conversion for the rear first....Impressive rope, though...

What impresses me is the ruggedized exterior. It has the same breaking strength as other rope, but much better survivability.....

I think the coolest part of that is the tube thimble thing. Would definitely be worth getting one of those, and I'm sure they sell them. Looks like it makes it super easy to fix of you do manage to snap your line. Much easier then splicing the ends back together.

It looks a lot like static climbing rope honestly. Almost makes one wonder if getting a big spool of Blue Water static rope might work alright. I know its not as strong, but it would be equally as durable. Might have to look into that. Same idea for significantly less. You could buy at least 600 feet of the Blue water stuff for that much.

JH

edit: Nevermind, most of the Blue Water static ropes have a working load limit of less then 700 pounds, so no go. They would work well over rocks pulling up to their limit though.

Climbing rope also has a very short fatigue cycle.

had $700, but used it to light my cubans last night. Oh well, maybe next week..

Yeah, climbing rope is a no go. However, this product looks interesting to add to a cheaper winch rope, or maybe just get 10 feet of it for putting over rocks....

http://www.bluewaterropes.com/home/p...ey=&ProdKey=30

Seems like the best possible abrasion resistant covering. A 24 foot section costs $30, and an 18 foot section a bit less. I'd also be interested to see how well having a full sheath of the normal nylon webbing would help with that kind of stuff. Would add strength and protect the rope too. Cheap enough where you could afford to cover the whole rope in it.

JH

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Wow...don't even think about using climbing rope, static or dynamic...ain't the same animal here at all. Old climbing rope doubled works decently for snatch or tow strap stuff, but even thinking about it on a winch makes me flinch.

Even jugging ropes or hauling with them, and I am talking big walls, heavy loads, and much abuse here, using really heavy duty 11-11.5 ropes designed for it, not the poof lightweight sports climbing ropes, these ropes are good for only about 2-3 walls before the sheaths get trashed. My guess is that this particular rope has a sheath that is at least partially Kevlar to stand up to the abrasion.

JeffX previously posted:
    "Climbing rope also has a very short fatigue cycle."

Last Online
    January 2nd, 2014
    4x4
    1988 Toyota Landcruiser (FJ62)
    User Name
    Mporter
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

Fred previously posted:
    "had $700, but used it to light my cubans last night. Oh well, maybe next week.."

chokah mang

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.