Front Range 4x4 Upcoming Trail Runs - Add a New Trail Run

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Moody/Crystal camping trip on January 16-18th

Default Moody/Crystal camping trip on January 16-18th

Hey all,

Guess we are making it official. The current plan is that some people are coming up on Saturday and camping then going home Sunday. There is another group of people coming up on Sunday and going home Monday. A few of us will be doing all three days. Currently, I think the best plan is to have the big wheeling day be on Sunday so we can go as a big group. Safety in numbers and all that. I know people want to do some hiking/snowshoeing and such, so Saturday should work great to get to camp and setup, then go find a decent hike. Not sure on the Sunday/Monday crowd, but we could either do hiking on Monday or go wheel near Poudre Canyon too.

Plans are to meet at the Starbucks on the east side side of I-25 at the Exit 240 on Saturday morning. This the Longmont exit for Highway 119. I'd prefer a bit later start, something like 10am, but if everyone wants to just jump right to it, we can meet earlier. There is sizable truck stop on the West side, and a the East side has a bunch of fast food places and a gas station. Since there are a few from Longmont maybe going, this should be a good meeting spot for everyone.

The Sunday crew will have to figure a meeting time and place out on their own, but here are directions to the trail head from Exit 240...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,1.786652&z=10

Cell service is spotty, but we should be able to get you on CB from where the campsite is. I'll make sure to listen to it Sunday morning, and I can come down and meet you guys if you'd like. Its a steep but fairly straightforward trail to the campsite, with a single ledge obstacle thats about 2 feet high. Don't think anyone should have an issue on this one, unless its completely covered in ice or something.

Here is a trail map of the area we will be in...

Name:  Moody%20Map.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  75.2 KB
    a link to the full size version of this... http://public.bay.livefilestore.com/...oody%20Map.jpg

Green trail is the hard way up, purple is the easy graded road, and red is what we'll be trying to get up Sunday (as well as some of the green). There should be decent hiking/snowshoeing in the area too, though it might just be walking some of the trail or going exploring in the woods. Post up if you are going, and I'll make a list for people to see. I'm on here often enough that I don't mind updating it.

JH

Saturday/Sunday People:
    Sunk

Sunday/Monday People:
    Scoutman (just sunday)

Saturday-Monday People:
    Haku, Smash,

Default Re: Moody/Crystal camping trip on January 16-18th

Thanks for spearheading this!

I will be there (just me), Saturday - Monday.

I'll see you at Starbucks at 10am.

I would suggest everyone who's camping bring a bit of firewood in case everything is wet up there. I'll pick some up for sure.

Last Online
    June 12th, 2016
    4x4
    Colorado Z71
    User Name
    BlackRubi
    Real Name
    Kyle Payne
    Thanks Given

I'm still trying to figure out if Ashley telling me that I can go is a trap or not. With it just being me, I could just cram myself in the back of the Jeep. No need for a tent.

Smash previously posted:
    "Thanks for spearheading this!

I will be there (just me), Saturday - Monday.

I'll see you at Starbucks at 10am.

I would suggest everyone who's camping bring a bit of firewood in case everything is wet up there. I'll pick some up for sure."

If this site is accessable to and from Glen Haven I can get plenty of wood. Still 50/50 but only because of the clutch. Next post will have decision

BlackRubi previously posted:
    "I'm still trying to figure out if Ashley telling me that I can go is a trap or not. With it just being me, I could just cram myself in the back of the Jeep. No need for a tent."

Tell her Karla's letting me go without her. *grin I know, I know, not the same thing...

Rob87pathfinder previously posted:
    "If this site is accessable to and from Glen Haven I can get plenty of wood. Still 50/50 but only because of the clutch. Next post will have decision"

Its not really directly accessible. You have to drive back down to CR-27 and up to Masonville to get between the two sites.....as seen here...

http://www.mapquest.com/mq/3-eQzO

That said, there is plenty of deadwood out there, or if you are coming from Glen Haven already it wouldn't be hard to bring it along. Its about 20 minutes each way from the turn off onto CR-27 to Glen Haven I think, so it depends on if people feel like thats worth it. There is plenty of deadfall wood up there, its just a matter of whether is dry or not.

JH

Last Online
    June 20th, 2017
    4x4
    2009 Jeep Wrangler X Unlimited
    User Name
    cfr
    Real Name
    Charles
    Thanks Given

Which end are you guys entering from? I ran Moody Hill early in the fall and seem to recall that the main trail (at least in the beginning and including the ledge mentioned earlier) is uphill and on the north side of the hill. In other words, probably lots of snow. Be careful.

Hey thanks! I'm just following Haku. But, I have no shame: if I get uncomfortable you better believe I'll turn around!

I'm definitely going to try the steep bit, but have no shame in turning around and going a different way. The ledge is the only part I'm a little worried about, since its more exposed then the rest. I think it will be fine though, and there are some other spots on there to find out about the slipperyness and such. I think with the warmish weather we've had this week, it should be a non issue.

JH

Last Online
    January 10th, 2020
    4x4
    89' K5
    User Name
    sunk
    Real Name
    Adam
    Thanks Given

I will meet yous guys at starbucks at 10am saturday, just me and the dog, and beer.

Last Online
    January 7th, 2020
    4x4
    75 International Scout
    User Name
    scout man
    Real Name
    Steve
    Thanks Given

As of now it looks like I am in for wheeling sunday, but probably not camping.

scout man previously posted:
    "As of now it looks like I am in for wheeling sunday, but probably not camping."

Cool, that means you can lead the Sunday crew in, since you have been to both the campsite and the rest of the trail. When you guys meeting up for the run and where?

JH

Last Online
    February 15th, 2014
    4x4
    2004 Nissan Xterra
    User Name
    Andrew
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Thanks Given

So what trail are you guys doing on Sunday, and at what time? If I can't make Monday work, maybe I could make Sunday work...I don't know though.

The rest of Moody and as much of Crystal Mountain as possible is the plan. I'm sure we can at least get to the playground area and have some fun, as well as a bit further up too. Should be a good time.

JH

Last Online
    January 7th, 2020
    4x4
    75 International Scout
    User Name
    scout man
    Real Name
    Steve
    Thanks Given

oh I guess I could. It has been over a year since I have been to that trail but I think I remember it pretty well. what time are you guys wanting to break camp and hit the trail?

hehee....whenever you guys get there. As it stands, you are the only one coming up on Sunday, so not sure whats up with that. Sounded like a bunch of people were interested, but as it stands its just Smash and I camping right now, and Sunk is coming up to hike maybe on Saturday but going home, and you coming up Sunday. Andrew might come up on Monday for wheeling, but it remains to be seen. People getting cold feet?

JH

I'm definitely in. Just gotta throw my stuff in the truck after the stock show tomorrow.

Oh, headed down to Murdock's now (have a friend that works there, gonna go say hi) to get a Hi-Lift and some chain to add to my sparse recovery kit. So, will atleast have that, 2 tow ropes, tree saver and a shovel for this weekend.

Last Online
    February 15th, 2014
    4x4
    2004 Nissan Xterra
    User Name
    Andrew
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Thanks Given

Haku previously posted:
    "hehee....whenever you guys get there. As it stands, you are the only one coming up on Sunday, so not sure whats up with that. Sounded like a bunch of people were interested, but as it stands its just Smash and I camping right now, and Sunk is coming up to hike maybe on Saturday but going home, and you coming up Sunday. Andrew might come up on Monday for wheeling, but it remains to be seen. People getting cold feet?

JH"

So are you guys doing something Monday? I haven't gotten much response in my thread other than Smash....I was going to do something later perhaps but if you guys are still around....

I'm in for a half day or so on Monday, would like to head home early afternoon.

I'm in for a full weekend too, monday included. Sounds like its gonna be a much smaller group then originally anticipated though. Kinda bummed, sounded like it was gonna be a big group in the other thread, and then people lost interest.

JH

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast