4x4
    1990 K5 Blazer
    User Name
    ShutUpHippie
    Real Name
    Rob
    Thanks Given

Default Dogs.

Since I will not be living in a house for a year or two, I will not be getting a dog until I have a yard for it to live in (I have a problem with leaving a dog caged all day in an apartment). But just out of curiosity, for you dog lovers:

What kind of dog do you have?
    Do you recommend that breed and why?

+'s and -'s or any other general comments you may have about any breed.

Rob

Last Online
    January 2nd, 2014
    4x4
    1988 Toyota Landcruiser (FJ62)
    User Name
    Mporter
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Dogs.

Brittany Spaniel
    If you are looking for a high energy dog that also doubles as a hunting dog, it's a good one....believe me.

I love mine, but he doesn't really listen some of the time (probably poor training ).
    But yeah, id recommend one, you can't go wrong.

Took this maybe 2 hours ago. Names Wylie

i have a beagle mix hes mostly beagle most people dont like beagles because they are loud which they are but with training any dog can be a great dog i say, i put my dog trough training at petsmart he was hell when he was a pup but now he probably the best dog ive had its all about treats and praise for doing the right thing rather then punishment for doing the wrong thing. i understand that you dont want to keep a dog inside all day but i kennel trained my dog all you gotta do is never use it as a form of punishment and never give the dog any attention for barking and whineing in the kennel soon they treat it as there own little peace of terittory as if it were there den and actually find security in the small space when they sleep at night also it lends a huge hand in potty training because the dog wont want to poop or pee where it sleeps and as long as the dog gets to go outside when he is rleased from the kennel the dog quickly learns that outside is the place to go potty. i would suggest a beagle as a pet but be warned they are not easy to train like the way a lab or golden retreaver but once they are trained they make very smart dogs and have huge potential for small game hinting.

ShutUpHippie previously posted:
    "Since I will not be living in a house for a year or two, I will not be getting a dog until I have a yard for it to live in (I have a problem with leaving a dog caged all day in an apartment). But just out of curiosity, for you dog lovers:

What kind of dog do you have?
    Do you recommend that breed and why?

+'s and -'s or any other general comments you may have about any breed.

Rob"

Why are you even asking, doesn't matter where you get your dog, but you should get one from a Rescue. My personal favorite is Lifeline Puppy Rescue in Brighton. They rescue puppies (8ish weeks old usually) from Dog Pounds that can't afford to keep them and vaccinate them, and bring them to Brighton to adopt out. I got my dog from there, and there were at least 40 other puppies that weekend. I went the weekend before too on a Sunday afternoon, and there was only 1 puppy out of the 38 they had that weekend left. There are other similar rescues, or plenty of breed specific rescues too.

With that said, I really like Mutts/Mixed Breed dogs. They don't have many of the congenital issues that pure breeds do, and in general are much smarter and healthier (in my experience). Of course there are the "smart" breeds like Aussies and Border Collies and such.

It really depends on what you are looking for in a dog. A "go everywhere companion?" or just a buddy to chill at home? Big or little? Lots and lots of options for ya.

JH

My last 3 dogs are as follows

Tuesday- Australian shepard, hard to train, bad with kids, all around mean. Given back to the rescue we got her from.

Rufus- Bernese mtn dog/ mutt, best dog ever. Got him out of the thrifty nickel many many moons ago. His name when we got him was "deadmeat" cause they found him playing on the highway near cripple creek. Easy to train, great with every one, not much of a guard dog though. Went blind and deaf near the end of his life but lived to be ~15 or so

Kobalt- Purebred Siberian Husky, Good all around dog. almost never barks, loves going wheeling!! Lots of energy though needs a big yard to run. definitely an escape artist too, she lets us know any time there is a weak spot in the fence. Loves kids, other dogs, and people in general. Easy to train as well.

-Dane

Last Online
    August 19th, 2014
    4x4
    2007 FJ Cruiser
    User Name
    Pathrat
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks Given

Rob, what might be a good idea is to look up information on breeds you are interested in. I did this and found that the dog I liked was wrong for us. We were on the Table Mountain Animal Shelter website looking at their links to adoptable dog. They have some good info links btw. So we go look at some dogs we found online and the two we were interested in we crossed of the list. One got car sick and the other didn't do well alone in the house. Behind us MiniMoose popped up and looked over the gate of her kennel cage. She is an older black lab. She isn't too smart, doesn't get into things, likes going for rides, and can hang out in the house for six hours while people are at work and school. Her breed didn't matter, it was THE dog who suited us best.

I am sure you can figure out where to get a dog when the times is right.

i agree that a mix breed is a little better alot of pure breeds suffer from health problems due to inbreeding over a long time span. the longest ive left my dog at home alone outside the kennel was about 24 hours went to black hawk to do some gambling ended up having to stay over night due to car troubles we came back he didnt touch a thing i dont know anyone with a beagle who can say that the reason why im telling you this is to show how good a trained dog can be and any dog any breed can be a good dog with training.

Last Online
    June 12th, 2016
    4x4
    Colorado Z71
    User Name
    BlackRubi
    Real Name
    Kyle Payne
    Thanks Given

Max: Black Lab/Border Collie mix.

Sam: Hungarian Vizsla/Chesapeake Bay Retriever mix.

Both great dogs. Sam is a little on the vocal side.
    I grew up with pitbulls. Awesome dogs. Great with kids, but they get a bad reputation from stupid people.

BlackRubi previously posted:
    "Max: Black Lab/Border Collie mix.

Sam: Hungarian Vizsla/Chesapeake Bay Retriever mix.

Both great dogs. Sam is a little on the vocal side.
    I grew up with pitbulls. Awesome dogs. Great with kids, but they get a bad reputation from stupid people."

thats no joke those dogs need to be treated well and trained and lots of people seem to think beating a dog will teach them but that doesnt work that just makes the dog fear and resent its owner which can result in lots of out comes. ive never laid a hand on my dog and he listens to me cause he knows he gets what he wants that way its that simple just look at his cute little face he was a rescue dog too im proud to have taught him everything he knows

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

In a few years, LaDawn and I are going to start breeding and raising one of these three dog breeds:

I have had great luck with buying used vehicles and dogs from the pound. Usually when its time to upgrade I just hit the shelters and pick what I think to be the best one. once I have visited enough I pick one. Currently we have an English mastif Mix and he has a good demeanor.

I have no breed preference, and I do believe that all dogs are safe with the right owner. I do have one and only one thing to say about breeds and kids. you NEVER, ok in case you didn't hear me, NEVER take a chance when your kids are involved. people can say what they want about certain breeds being safe and all but, it's a dog, and these are my kids. I have only had to do it once and it wasn't my dog but a growl was enough in my mind to protect my kids. Call me a heartless ******* but I protect my young as i am sure any dog breed would as well.

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

We always got rescued dogs and learned that you can't really judge a dog's behavior at the shelter. They can get into an "I'm a nice doggie, bring me home" mode and revert to the behavior that probably resulted in them being given up once they conclude they've found a new home. Our last dog was one of those, a 'fear-aggressive' dog whose behavior was bad and only got worse. We couldn't trust her with anyone besides ourselves and ended up putting her down.

Chris previously posted:
    "We always got rescued dogs and learned that you can't really judge a dog's behavior at the shelter. They can get into an "I'm a nice doggie, bring me home" mode and revert to the behavior that probably resulted in them being given up once they conclude they've found a new home. Our last dog was one of those, a 'fear-aggressive' dog whose behavior was bad and only got worse. We couldn't trust her with anyone besides ourselves and ended up putting her down."

And I commend you for it. they are great companions and I have had "good luck" as I said, but I wouldn't hesitate to do the same. I couldn't see paying anymore then what a shelter offers for a dog. that's money well spent elsewhere and you are not getting anything more out of the price. I guess there's a coolness factor when buying certain breeds though isn't there? My coolness factor went out the window when I started hanging out with Funrover, so I'm good.

I have had several different types of dogs from mutts to pure breeds they all have their good and bad points but the best I have had so Far was my female Akita, and one of my black labs, the worst was the beagle I got for Val "never again". One of our last ones was a female Chow/Sheep Dog mix she was great except as she got older say after 7yrs old she got the chow mental problems and became aggressive. Someday I want another Akita or a Bull Mastiff.

Last Online
    December 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    1990 Cherokee
    User Name
    Hypoid
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

I tend to avoid the "sporting" breeds.

"Working" breeds are loyal and protective.

The bigger the dog, the more it eats, the shorter the lifespan.

Dogs are den animals. When properly trained, they view the kennel as a sanctuary. porkchop was dead-on with his comments.

I've always been a proponent of "keep the dog, shoot the owner", but you can't win-em all. There is much to be learned about behavior and training.

Since you have time for this decision, look into volunteer work at a shelter near you.

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

greenramp previously posted:
    "My coolness factor went out the window when I started hanging out with Funrover, so I'm good."

:lol:

1freaky1 previously posted:
    "One of our last ones was a female Chow/Sheep Dog mix she was great except as she got older say after 7yrs old she got the chow mental problems and became aggressive."

Stay away from Chow's if you have kids. They're really a one master dog and will protect the master from anyone, including kids. A friend had one and it tore open the cheek of one of her kids that excitedly ran into the room with Mom.

Last Online
    May 13th, 2015
    4x4
    1990 K5 Blazer
    User Name
    ShutUpHippie
    Real Name
    Rob
    Thanks Given

Looking mostly at Boxers and American Bulldogs. I realize that they need SO MUCH attention.. but I have been around so many of them that so far they have 1st and 2nd. I will have time, but I have to wait until I have a yard for either to run around in while I'm at work. My only worry with American Bulldogs is they can tend to be a bit aggressive sometimes. I assume that if you nip that aggression in the bud right when it's noticed, it can usually be prevented.

Thanks everyone for your input, it's helpful to know what breeds should be considered and avoided.

I'd say one more thing to think about with dogs in cities, is the Breed Specific Legislation in places you might be moving in the future. I hate these regulations personally, but they don't seem to be going anywhere. I know Denver and Aurora both have BSL's for Pitbulls and anything that resembles a Pit Bull. I know Scoutman is getting worried about his new dog Roxy (she's 14 weeks old now) and some of the traits that are coming out with her. So yeah, keep it in mind, especially with a Boxer and Bulldog in the mix.

JH

Last Online
    December 19th, 2020
    4x4
    2008 FJ Cruiser/1982 FJ40
    User Name
    Rob
    Real Name
    Rob
    Thanks Given

Lot of good comments here. I'll second a few of them.

Get a dog from the shelter. Get one that fits you. Doesn't matter what breed.

Dogs need attention, activity, training, attention, training and attention. If you can't give them all that, you shouldn't get a dog.

And a final thought: If you rent, finding a place that allows dogs is tougher than it used to be. And if you move and can't find a place that'll let you bring your dog, you have to give it up. Happened to me many years ago and I had to let go of probably the smartest, most loyal dog I've ever seen. Fortunately, my younger brother took her in, so I still got to visit her.

DrUnit previously posted:
    "Lot of good comments here. I'll second a few of them.

Get a dog from the shelter. Get one that fits you. Doesn't matter what breed.

Dogs need attention, activity, training, attention, training and attention. If you can't give them all that, you shouldn't get a dog.

And a final thought: If you rent, finding a place that allows dogs is tougher than it used to be. And if you move and can't find a place that'll let you bring your dog, you have to give it up. Happened to me many years ago and I had to let go of probably the smartest, most loyal dog I've ever seen. Fortunately, my younger brother took her in, so I still got to visit her."

Thats what happened with my dog Haku (yes, my name sake on here). He lives with my mom now.....

Your best guess on what he is (my guess is Golden Retriever and Great Pyrenees or somethign big like that. Either way, he is certainly our families best dog ever. Super Smart, quite loyal, well behaved most of the time, and barks once in a blue moon (unless he is doing the "speak" trick). Total mutt, but I we get stopped all the time and told he is beautiful. I'll never get a dog from anywhere else other then a Rescue/Shelter, and Haku has re-affirmed this for me. In my experience, rescue dogs know it, and remember it for life, and as such are much more greatful and loyal companions.

JH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast