Front Range 4x4 Upcoming Trail Runs - Add a New Trail Run

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Project $500!

Default Re: Project $500!

Got a bunch done today, and ran into a bunch of problems doing so! but nothing that was so much of a problem I couldnt go move on. I got the new XJ springs in and sprung! I had to reverse my shackle hangers to get this to work and thats about it. I just measured WB and I am just shy of 105" which is pretty decent to me. stock is about 90" so I am pleased with it, the Toy box will fit nicely in there. now I have to figure out how I'm going to afford it! anyways heres some pictures :fing:

Last Online
    December 19th, 2020
    4x4
    2008 FJ Cruiser/1982 FJ40
    User Name
    Rob
    Real Name
    Rob
    Thanks Given

Looks good. You gonna trim the quarter panels?

Nah I'll like em. Just kiddin, I'm probably gonna comp cut, even though I hate how it looks, will be the best option.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

That looks good and you will love the extended wheelbase about 97% of the time..

You might try welding in some sheet metal in front of the rear wheels to avoid the 'comp cut ' look. You body is flat there, so aside from the PITA of thin metal welding, it shouldn't be too hard to do. This is coming from a guy that pretty much sucks at welding thin metal, too.

Altitude Steel usually has some in the scrap bin. Just tossing out some suggestions. It would look pretty trick..

Last Online
    January 2nd, 2014
    4x4
    1988 Toyota Landcruiser (FJ62)
    User Name
    Mporter
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

I like it

Very neat dude. I think you are really gonna like having that longer wheelbase, and it will help with driveshaft angles and stuff too. Some days I dig the comp cut look, and others I don't. I was reluctant to do it in my Samurai, but if I ever get another one I'll probably go that direction.

On another note, this week I'll be making a Harbor Freight air ram bracket for my bender. Its easy enough to get the materials for two of them if you want to make one for yours. $89 for the ram, plus 10 bucks in material, and a bit of labor, and you are ram powered. Let me know if you are interested. It'll look like this...

It is made from 3" schedule 40 pipe, some 1/4" flat stock, and a couple of small spacer tubes.

JH

Brody previously posted:
    "That looks good and you will love the extended wheelbase about 97% of the time..

You might try welding in some sheet metal in front of the rear wheels to avoid the 'comp cut ' look. You body is flat there, so aside from the PITA of thin metal welding, it shouldn't be too hard to do. This is coming from a guy that pretty much sucks at welding thin metal, too.

Altitude Steel usually has some in the scrap bin. Just tossing out some suggestions. It would look pretty trick.."

I think so too. I'm going to wait to do so until I get my new tires so that way I dont have to cut it after I weld it in as I plan on going bigger. having a longer WB makes my 35's look teeny!

Haku previously posted:
    "Very neat dude. I think you are really gonna like having that longer wheelbase, and it will help with driveshaft angles and stuff too. Some days I dig the comp cut look, and others I don't. I was reluctant to do it in my Samurai, but if I ever get another one I'll probably go that direction.

On another note, this week I'll be making a Harbor Freight air ram bracket for my bender. Its easy enough to get the materials for two of them if you want to make one for yours. $89 for the ram, plus 10 bucks in material, and a bit of labor, and you are ram powered. Let me know if you are interested. It'll look like this...

It is made from 3" schedule 40 pipe, some 1/4" flat stock, and a couple of small spacer tubes.

JH"

Just started school right now so I am super strapped for cash, But I am interested in how you did that, I'm done with school in april so hopefully I'll have my bender setup by then and I can do this conversion.... Thanks for the idea Josh!

Well got some cutting, grinding, sanding, painting done today! The comp cut turned out okay, but it still looka like ass

Last Online
    December 19th, 2020
    4x4
    2008 FJ Cruiser/1982 FJ40
    User Name
    Rob
    Real Name
    Rob
    Thanks Given

Not bad. Now you won't be bending the panels with those tires.

By the way, are those sliders bolted to just the body or to the frame?

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

The comp cut doesn't look that bad at all. Look at is as more of a form follows function kind of thing and they look just fine..

One would hope that the sliders are mounted to more than just the body. That seems to more of a Jeep thing than any other make, for some reason, and it only partially works...as in 'better than none at all'...

The comp cut is somewhat growing on me. but until I tube up those cuts I dont think I will ever really like it that much.

Anyways, No those sliders are actually mounted to just the rockers with scab plates behind. Contrary to popular belief they are pretty tough, and can take a beating. infact I dont think my rocker panels have ever folded up. I have also used the as a jacking point with a hi-lift jack, and never had any problems. I'll include a picture of same sliders different truck same mounting style....

anyways, I have some updates... not much, I am almost done with the wiring. I am going to pick up some new front running lights as the old spaceship lights on there didnt work worth a ****. also decided to build a new rear bumper with shackle hangers built in, new rear tail lights, and some recovery points. hoping to do it for about $100. I think I can do it. will pick up some metal from c and m tomorrow and I'll keep you updated on that.

I brought the truck into school and ran a oscilliscope on it, which was pretty cool. never used one before. I guess bmws are too high tech for that.

also brought it into work on saturday and finished up almost all the wiring just need to do the dash and tie up some stuff here and there. but not too shabby if you asked me. I sure did milk the job but definitely didnt flat rate it! its going to last a life time hopefully!

also a picture of how it currently sits!

Here is what I want my bumperto look like. It is going to be built somewhat after the BTF axle relocation bumper for the yj's/fj's

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

If I can make a small suggestion: Plate the top of the spring perches back up to the bumper. These are going to take a mess of abuse and that plate with add some cross shear strength to them. To add a little more bracing, extend the plating past the perches an inch or so to each side on the top of the perch. Only take another 1/2 hour or so and would be worth the extra time just for piece of mind. Be a real trail killer if one of these were to tear off...

Looks like you have a very good idea of what you are doing, so this may be redundant. Just my 2 cents and what I did on mine when they extended past the bumper (modification 2,034, plan G, revision 12)

Love the flex!

Thanks Peter.

I'm not quite sure I understand what your sayig about reinforcing the spring perch. Do you have a picture of it on you truck?

Also wish I could flex like that!!!

I think he means to add some plate to the top of the spring hangers in your bumper concept picture. It will help with the side to side strength, as well as the vertical. The tube going through does provide a lot of strength, but adding some plate on top of that would make it even better. You could also get away with doing some gussets to each side too, as long as it doesn't effect shackle travel.

JH

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Sorta like this, though these protruded past the bumper and the bumper is in line with the frame. Same principle, though. May be more pictures on this thread. I haven't read it since I did the Chevy spring install.

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/...ings%26quot%3B

I see, Yeah that sounds like a good idea. cheap insurance...

Will probably have no updates for a little bit now, I have to work saturday and going to vail on sunday. I am picking up some metal tomorrow from c and m for my bumper. but really wont have any time to work on it until monday night or later.

Well I got a day off today. don't really have any updates, I'm broke as **** and cant really afford to buy stuff for it right now. Although I am about to bite the bullet on some new rear shocks for it. But today I flexed it out and measured for shocks. also pretty pleased with the flex I have. 30" from the bottom of the tire with plenty to go!

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Hey! Don't buy shocks until you get in touch with Scout Man (Steve). He has a bunch of shocks from that stuff he bought, all new, in the boxes, etc. He won't be back until Monday PM if you can wait. I do not know the brands or the sizes, only that he has quite a few , all new, of varying lengths.

Might save a few bucks...That is some nice flex action going on...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast