Front Range 4x4 Upcoming Trail Runs - Add a New Trail Run

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CB's

Default Re: CB's

Whitey Jr previously posted:
    "there is a guy not to far from you that can get you anything you need for cb's ANYTHING. he also is very knowledgeable on what works well and what is just cheap crap. http://frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5883 heres the front range post for his info"

check out post #39.....

Good morning Josh!:lol:

damn thats the only one i skipped. whatever lol

HHAAHAHHAHAHA its all good

Last Online
    January 2nd, 2014
    4x4
    1988 Toyota Landcruiser (FJ62)
    User Name
    Mporter
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

So with my recently purchased CB, I am thinking of updating my head unit for playing music. I'm not getting anything fancy, what i'm looking at is
    http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDR2...&ssi=0&tp=5684
    since it's got all the features I want/need, and they say it will fit in the opening (with modifications of couse, since it's going from double -> single DIN).

However, this is an idea I have been toying with for a long time: Take out old double DIN deck and replace it with a single DIN deck and a CB radio.
    Such like:
    http://forum.ih8mud.com/attachment.p...1&d=1244867098
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...Moya/Dash2.jpg
    http://www.tacomaterritory.com/tacozilla/cobra29.jpg

I think it would be a cool/unique way to have both items added to the dash and try to keep it looking somewhat OEM.

However, my manager at work brought up a good point when I told him the idea. He said that with the H/U on and the CB on, things would heat up a bit. I'm not sure if it would get to such high temps that it would start frying stuff, however, I wondered if it would interfer with signals that the CB is trying to transmit/receive.

Any opinions/experience in this neck of the woods? Thanks

P.S. the first 2 pics have the Cobra 18WXSTII, which is the radio I have.

Last Online
    February 15th, 2014
    4x4
    2004 Nissan Xterra
    User Name
    Andrew
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Thanks Given

Crutchfield is awesome you get the install kit with everything.

I recommend you get something with USB - that way you can just get like a cheap 4GB memory stick, fill it with MP3's and never bother changing CD's and such.

And I think you would be fine having both in there. I don't think it will heat up enough to cook anything.

What would be cool (I think) is if the two were tied together - so when the CB received it played over the regular speakers and cut the music, same with sending - cut the music.

Last Online
    January 2nd, 2014
    4x4
    User Name
    Mporter
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

Thanks for your input.
    I don't really need anything fancy as far as a deck is concerned....I need 3 basic functions (1) look good/fit (2) sound good (3) play my Zune
    But yeah right now I have the factory radio install (tape player only) and i use a tape -> 3.5mm adaptor to listen to music, but this has been kinda acting up lately. Plus my head unit now doesnt receive FM signals all that well.

That would be pretty sweet to do the whole intertwined system thing, however that is electrical stuff that would be way over my head...

Last Online
    4 Days Ago
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Hey Matt, the easiest, best & cheapest is installing a Scion radio. It's plug & play right down to the stock mounting brackets. Minor trimming of the face or dash is all that's required. Scion owners sell hem for $50. I have one and use my iPod all the time, very nice and cheap enough.

get something with a usb port, use a thumb drive to store music on and play it from that. this is what im sticking in little brutus

Last Online
    January 2nd, 2014
    4x4
    User Name
    Mporter
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

WINKY previously posted:
    "get something with a usb port, use a thumb drive to store music on and play it from that. this is what im sticking in little brutus"

That's a good idea, but ill stick with my 30gb Zune or 30gb iPod Video.

Thanks though

Last Online
    September 7th, 2018
    4x4
    87 k5, 350 on 37s
    User Name
    transplant87
    Real Name
    Keith
    Thanks Given

i no a place that has a blurtooth raido with a i-pod and a mp3 player for 107 with tax

Back to CBs....Mine doesn't work, not sure why. I've got the cable running under my truck, tucked up in the frame rales. Antenna is behind my cab and sticks up above my cab. the unit is mounted....kinda still working on that...in the dash under my radio. The unit is grounded under the dash....to something that has all the other electronics grounded to it. I figured that was a good ground since the factory had used it for everything else. All I get is noise. I can faintly hear trucker voices over the noise, and when I adjust the sqwelch the noise gets a little better then everything just drops off and there's no noise. Any suggestions? I'm assuming this is a case of lakc of knowledge and installers error...

is it a "whine" that your referring too? And if so does the whine go up in pitch when you rev the engine? how exactly do you have the power to it hooked up?

WINKY previously posted:
    "is it a "whine" that your referring too? And if so does the whine go up in pitch when you rev the engine?"

I had that and then I moved the ground to it's current location and that went away. Now it's just a constant buzzing sort of noise. I can adjust the RF/sqwelch and it does go away but so does all other noise. I'm terrible with anything electrical. I fail just about every time I even come close to touching something related to it. I spliced the power into an ignition controlled power outlet as well, if that helps at all...

Last Online
    September 7th, 2018
    4x4
    87 k5, 350 on 37s
    User Name
    transplant87
    Real Name
    Keith
    Thanks Given

Medic-5150 previously posted:
    "Back to CBs....Mine doesn't work, not sure why. I've got the cable running under my truck, tucked up in the frame rales. Antenna is behind my cab and sticks up above my cab. the unit is mounted....kinda still working on that...in the dash under my radio. The unit is grounded under the dash....to something that has all the other electronics grounded to it. I figured that was a good ground since the factory had used it for everything else. All I get is noise. I can faintly hear trucker voices over the noise, and when I adjust the sqwelch the noise gets a little better then everything just drops off and there's no noise. Any suggestions? I'm assuming this is a case of lakc of knowledge and installers error..."

try spending 5bucks and go to the pilot and get a power outlet cord and see if the noise gos away

wat kind of cb is it

your best to run it directly to the battery with the negative and positive with a fuse on the positive closest to the battery. If it still persists a ground loop isolator may be needed.

something similar to this.

http://www.bellscb.com/products/acce...ise_filter.htm

stereo's have these built in thus why you dont get noise. cb's sometimes do, sometimes dont. Try movnig the ground to another spot as well, to a place on its own to something that leads to a good ground.

WINKY previously posted:
    "your best to run it directly to the battery with the negative and positive with a fuse on the positive closest to the battery. If it still persists a ground loop isolator may be needed.

something similar to this.

http://www.bellscb.com/products/acce...ise_filter.htm"

Alright, I'll rewire it as soon as I get a chance. What's the best way to get it through the firewall?

Medic-5150 previously posted:
    "I spliced the power into an ignition controlled power outlet as well, if that helps at all..."

just read this part, this is your issue. the power must be direct to the battery through nothing else or spliced. your getting a lot of noise from the alternator, fuel pump other things too....

yes through the firewall. you can slip it through the grommet boot that other wires are going through and then run it to the battery with a fuse 10amp on the positive lead closest to the battery.

WINKY previously posted:
    "just read this part, this is your issue. the power must be direct to the battery through nothing else or spliced. your getting a lot of noise from the alternator, fuel pump other things too...."

alright, so much for the directions. It recommended wiring it that way lol.

the only thing wrong with wiring like the directions say is you introduce alot of noise. Some cars put more noise in, others dont...

all they care bout it getting power to it, nothing else..

WINKY previously posted:
    "the only thing wrong with wiring like the directions say is you introduce alot of noise. Some cars put more noise in, others dont...

all they care bout it getting power to it, nothing else.."

Alright, so are there any tricks to getting it through the firewall?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast