Colorado Z71
    User Name
    BlackRubi
    Real Name
    Kyle Payne
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Camping in Poudre Canyon/Kelley Flats

AboveNBeyond previously posted:
    "Sorry Kyle... the says it will be way to cold for her. Guess no more camping in the mountains till next summer for us?:o"

No worries. You guys have a good weekend.

Last Online
    May 13th, 2019
    4x4
    '92 Range Rover
    User Name
    Funrover
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Thanks Given

AboveNBeyond previously posted:
    "Sorry Kyle... the says it will be way to cold for her. Guess no more camping in the mountains till next summer for us?:o"

Pssssttt.. Many campers have heaters

Last Online
    December 19th, 2020
    4x4
    2008 FJ Cruiser/1982 FJ40
    User Name
    Rob
    Real Name
    Rob
    Thanks Given

Funrover previously posted:
    "Ansel is nice, they are both to close to the highway for me though. If there in a Concert at the bar just up the way from Ansel you will hear it loud and clear all night... Just an FYI"

Yep, here's what you'll be listening to Saturday night from Mishawaka Amphitheater (and seeing as how it's a NORML fundraiser, you might get a contact high if the wind's blowing just right):

Saturday Sep 26, 2009
    NORML's Harvest Festival Fundraiser Presents
    Pato Banton & The Now Generation
    All Ages Show
    doors: 7:00 PM, show: 8:00 PM
    $20.00 in adv, $23.00 day of show
    Event Information:
    A Pato Banton concert is an event not to be missed and an experience not to be forgotten.
    Positive Vibrations abound with a beat to keep you on your dancing feet, while Pato delivers a message that is food for the mind and soul. Many have considered his charismatic performance as live theatre where no show is alike and audience members become participants in the experience. Pato dialogues with the crowd on a range of topics including current day events and spiritual freedom while keeping the vibes upbeat and fun! The direction of the concert is totally based on the feedback Pato receives from the audience as there is no fixed set list. Many have said that the positivity generated from the stage has changed their lives forever. Sometimes Pato invites his fans to join him in a prayer circle after the show, where some have cried while sharing their stories of contemplated suicide, isolation after losing a loved one, struggles with substance abuse and how their personal connection with Pato has given them the strength to "Stay Positive" & "Never Give In."

Brody previously posted:
    "This is so nice to see! Someone else has trouble with the fish up here who is also from the south! Hard to remain positive when you get outwitted by a cold blooded thing that doesn't breathe oxygen and eats worms....

I used to actually catch bass, perch, bream, etc, etc in the south. I go fishing up here and the damn things are so smart they have an IQ...Last fish I actually 'caught' up here, I got so frustrated (after hucking my WalMart rod and reel as far as I could throw it, much to the delight of my friends), I chummed the water until there were a nice little bunch of brookies happily eating and nailed the area where they were with a couple of sabot rounds out of my 12 gauge. Then I simply netted them and started cooking fish for din din...My 'fishing' friends were aghast...Hey...so I am a bad sport..."

actually fish do breath oxygen with there gills and i here power bait works really well around here but i havent fished in years so i dont really know.
    also another interesting fact rust is caused by oxygen but the oxygen has to be in liquid form funny thing about water is hydrogen by its self is flamable and oxygen promotes fire but combine them you have water which puts out fires just some fun facts for the day
    oh and i know im a smart ass kid and you probably knew all that but hey some ones gotta be the smart ass lol

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

porkchop previously posted:
    " oh and i know im a smart ass kid and you probably knew all that but hey some ones gotta be the smart ass lol"

Glad to see I am not the only smart ass....:lol:

Last Online
    June 12th, 2016
    4x4
    Colorado Z71
    User Name
    BlackRubi
    Real Name
    Kyle Payne
    Thanks Given

OK. So we're back. We decided to depart the campground much earlier than expected due to large number of black widow spiders, the first of which we noticed crawling on our daughter. While there, I did the first little part of Kelley Flats, but nothing else. I was actuall a little apprehensive about even doing the first part because it's a little tippier than I remember from a few months back and I didn't have a spotter. It was just me and the little one in the Jeep and I didn't see anyone else on the trail. The fishing was awesome. We caught well over our limit in a short amount of time. We couldn't have asked for better weather. Friday was cool, a little chilly at night, but not a big deal, Saturday was a little on the warm side, but not unbearable. Saturday evening/night were in the mid to low 70s, then we got back to Denver around midnight last night and it was a good 10-15 degrees cooler. It's a little odd to drive north to get away from chilly weather. All in all, it was a good trip, a little short, but good. I didn't take too many pictures, but I'll post what I got before too long.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

BlackRubi previously posted:
    "OK. So we're back. While there, I did the first little part of Kelley Flats, but nothing else. I was actually a little apprehensive about even doing the first part because it's a little tippier than I remember from a few months back and I didn't have a spotter. It was just me and the little one in the Jeep and I didn't see anyone else on the trail."

Everyone was supposed to meet at the Kelly Flats parking area around 10AM. What time were you there?

Don't like spiders much..Surprised to hear you mention Black Widows as they are usually found around homes in darker areas. Good to know for future reference.

The trail has gotten harder at the start than what it used to be. There is about 1/4 mile right off the start that is harder than just about anything else on the trail that isn't a named obstacle. Once you are through this section, the rest of the trail is pretty straight forward.

This area is the northern 'banana belt' and many times has a lot less snow than surrounding areas, making it a popular 'winter' run location. Not true for all years and the location is a fooler as you would expect a lot more snow.

Last Online
    June 12th, 2016
    4x4
    Colorado Z71
    User Name
    BlackRubi
    Real Name
    Kyle Payne
    Thanks Given

It's possible that I brought the spiders with me in the camp stuff, but I would think that we would have noticed them when setting up or something, not more than a full day later. I was at Kelly Flats around 2PM or so on Saturday. I was going to do the run with everyone, but the fishing was just too damn good to stop. I was actually looking for some deadfall for firewood and I remembered a bunch of it was up there just past the giant puddle at the start of the Heart Attack Hill bypass.

BlackRubi previously posted:
    "OK. So we're back. While there, I did the first little part of Kelley Flats, but nothing else. I was actually a little apprehensive about even doing the first part because it's a little tippier than I remember from a few months back and I didn't have a spotter. It was just me and the little one in the Jeep and I didn't see anyone else on the trail."

Brody previously posted:
    "Everyone was supposed to meet at the Kelly Flats parking area around 10AM. What time were you there?

Don't like spiders much..Surprised to hear you mention Black Widows as they are usually found around homes in darker areas. Good to know for future reference.

The trail has gotten harder at the start than what it used to be. There is about 1/4 mile right off the start that is harder than just about anything else on the trail that isn't a named obstacle. Once you are through this section, the rest of the trail is pretty straight forward.

This area is the northern 'banana belt' and many times has a lot less snow than surrounding areas, making it a popular 'winter' run location. Not true for all years and the location is a fooler as you would expect a lot more snow."

I got to the Kelley Flats trailhead a bit before 10am on Sunday, and left about 10:15am to head up to Rustic and the Bald Mountain trailhead. It ended up just being me and Porkchop (and his buddy riding along), which worked out great. I'm actually a bit glad that it was just us two, as it is a long long trail and we were hauling ass through most of the stuff, definitely faster then most people like to go. Still got off the trail (completely covered in Mud) a bit after 4pm. A great, but long day.

JH

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12