4x4
    2008 FJ Cruiser/1982 FJ40
    User Name
    Rob
    Real Name
    Rob
    Thanks Given

Default Trouble starting FJ40

The FJ40 doesn't seem to want to start cold. I have to pull the manual choke out to get it started, but then it starts right up. It starts fine when it's warm.

Any ideas why it won't start cold?

Last Online
    August 19th, 2014
    4x4
    2007 FJ Cruiser
    User Name
    Pathrat
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Trouble starting FJ40

It's a woman?

Last Online
    May 13th, 2019
    4x4
    '92 Range Rover
    User Name
    Funrover
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Thanks Given

When it's cold you have to choke it. Welcome to carbs. Sounds normal to me.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Hey Rob

What Aaron (disregard Pathrat unless you are having those kind of problems, too) said. Most of the newer carbed cars have automatic chokes that you don't have to mess with. Your FJ obviously doesn't fall into that category. You just have to remember 'back in the day' and pull the manual choke out just enough to start it.

Actually, unless it's super cold winter time you should pull the choke out half way and pump the gas pedal twice. This primes it and sets the high idle cam on the carb. It should light off right away and remain idling. If it starts but then dies, pull the choke out a little farther and repeat the process. If your choke is properly adjusted you'll find the engine will start to run a little faster as it warms up and will remain at that level even if you push the choke in. Once you blip the gas pedal it will disengage the high speed idle. Some of the later model 40's have an electric high speed idle solenoid on them too that is speed controlled for emissions.

If it's really cold, follow the same steps but pull the choke out all of the way.

Last Online
    December 19th, 2020
    4x4
    User Name
    Rob
    Real Name
    Rob
    Thanks Given

Thanks for the info. Just to clarify, it doesn't like to start when the engine is cold, not when it's cold outside. I admit, it's been a long time since I've had a vehicle with a carb (in fact, it was a 1975 FJ40), but it should start up without that manual choke when it's 80 degrees outside. My old 40 did. I only choked it when it was really cold outside. Tune up, maybe? Choke adjustment?

DrUnit previously posted:
    "but it should start up without that manual choke when it's 80 degrees outside."

Maybe, depends on the rig. Mine is tuned to perfection, HEI ignition, rebuilt carb, etc. It needs at minimum the 2 pumps of the pedal when cold starting even in the middle of the Summer. It will start without that, but you will crank it 5-8 seconds. If you give it the pumps it starts right away. Even in the Summer mine sometimes needs a tiny bit of choke for maybe a minute before it smooths out.

Does your rig still have the stock exhaust maifold? If so, check to see if the heat riser in the manifold is still working. It should close when the engines cold (even if its 80 degrees) so that when you start it you have more back pressure and it warms up faster.

Last Online
    April 8th, 2015
    4x4
    1971 FJ40, 1996 Bronco, 1999 UZJ 100
    User Name
    RicardoJM
    Real Name
    Ricardo Maestas
    Thanks Given

On a "cold" start My 71' FJ40 needs four pumps of the pedal and the choke needs to be about 1/2 way out when I start it. On a "hot" start I turn the key over and it is going.

"Cold" is when the engine has cooled down, i.e. first thing in the morning, at the end of the work day.

"Hot" is when the engine has been running is up to temperature and I've been out a short enough time the engine has not cooled down, like a trip into the convenience store for a soda.

Much like you, I'd like to think it should fire right up (just like the LX470) when I turn the key. Having discussed it with other 40 owners, each seems to have their own quirks. I have not given up on getting it to the point it does not need choke and priming, but it is not high on the list of things to figure out.

Last Online
    May 13th, 2019
    4x4
    '92 Range Rover
    User Name
    Funrover
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Thanks Given

DrUnit previously posted:
    "Thanks for the info. Just to clarify, it doesn't like to start when the engine is cold, not when it's cold outside. I admit, it's been a long time since I've had a vehicle with a carb (in fact, it was a 1975 FJ40), but it should start up without that manual choke when it's 80 degrees outside. My old 40 did. I only choked it when it was really cold outside. Tune up, maybe? Choke adjustment?"

My 62 and 65 Dodge both needed a little choke when the motor hadn't run in many hours. I would do half choke pump twice and they'd start right up.

Last Online
    December 19th, 2020
    4x4
    User Name
    Rob
    Real Name
    Rob
    Thanks Given

Thanks again, guys. I finally resorted to looking at the owner's manual (don't tell anyone). It actually says to pump twice and pull the choke out. Hmm. The first couple of weeks I had it, it started right up without the choke. My old '75 40 also started up without choke unless it was really cold (though I could be misremembering).

Randy, it still has the stock manifold. I'll have the heat riser looked at the next time I have it in at All Phase Offroad. Not sure I trust myself enough yet to deal with that.

I plan to do a full tune-up over the winter. Maybe that will help. Otherwise, I'll just use that choke when I need to. Owner's manuals can't be wrong, can they?