Front Range 4x4 Upcoming Trail Runs - Add a New Trail Run

Thread: Threads of note?

Default Threads of note?

Like in the general 4x4 tech area, having a sticky thread that has a description and link to a thread... and having a whole bunch of them in that sticky thread. Sometimes you don't know exactly what you want to search for, but browsing through ALL the topics can be tedious, and I think most skip that. Got to thinking about this after reading Brody's reply to '4x4 equipment' thread, where he posted 2 links to good threads. I would have liked to read those before, but it never occured to me to search for them.

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Threads of note?

I understand your point but having a bunch of sticky threads means scrolling past them and what one person views as important may not be for the next guy. The solution as I see it is to use the Advanced Search. Below is an example and to make it more effective youcould add the posters name if you remember who it was.

Chris previously posted:
    "I understand your point but having a bunch of sticky threads means scrolling past them and what one person views as important may not be for the next guy. The solution as I see it is to use the Advanced Search. Below is an example and to make it more effective youcould add the posters name if you remember who it was."

Why would there be a bunch of sticky threads? I'm talking about ONE thread, that has links to multiple threads in the first post of it.

And what if you have no idea about the thread? Like I had no idea about the threads Brody linked too, so I never would have searched for them. But it would have been great to read them. And it would be up to the moderator of that forum to decide if it should be in the sticky thread, based on people's requests(or just what that mod feels is important).

Just because you want to find info on something, doesn't mean you have a clue what to search for. And you may not even know you want to know, but when you see it in front of you, you realize that it's something you've been meaning to research and read!

Example: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Okay, thanks for the link to help me understand what you're asking. I'll give it some thought.

Speedwagon previously posted:
    "Why would there be a bunch of sticky threads? I'm talking about ONE thread, that has links to multiple threads in the first post of it.

And what if you have no idea about the thread? Like I had no idea about the threads Brody linked too, so I never would have searched for them. But it would have been great to read them. And it would be up to the moderator of that forum to decide if it should be in the sticky thread, based on people's requests(or just what that mod feels is important).

Just because you want to find info on something, doesn't mean you have a clue what to search for. And you may not even know you want to know, but when you see it in front of you, you realize that it's something you've been meaning to research and read!

Example: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13"

Oh geez, don't bring Nabisco (yes, I know its not the cookie company) into this one:lol:.

For me, I hardly ever browse through the actual forums unless I am looking for something specific. Instead, I click on the " # Unread Posts" thing under at the top right under my screename. You may or may not know about it, but its a nicer way to see what all the threads that have new posts in it are. Do you have any specific threads that you would want to add to a "threads of note" thread?

JH

Haku previously posted:
    "Oh geez, don't bring Nabisco (yes, I know its not the cookie company) into this one:lol:.

For me, I hardly ever browse through the actual forums unless I am looking for something specific. Instead, I click on the " # Unread Posts" thing under at the top right under my screename. You may or may not know about it, but its a nicer way to see what all the threads that have new posts in it are. Do you have any specific threads that you would want to add to a "threads of note" thread?

JH"

Clearly you are a NASIOC frequenter, if you refer to it as NABISCO.

And the ones that I mentioned above, that Brody linked to in the 4x4 eqiupment thread, I think are good starts. As time passes, anything that a mod or user thinks is good to have there can be brought up. The mod of that forum can easily add/remove threads as they deem appropriate, and I would just say that the "threads of note" is started and closed right away, so that only the mod of that forum can post/change it.

I will say, that I think NASIOC is a MUCH better run board than CO4x4 is. And for as many people as they have there now, I think that says a lot.

Speedwagon previously posted:
    "Clearly you are a NASIOC frequenter, if you refer to it as NABISCO.

And the ones that I mentioned above, that Brody linked to in the 4x4 eqiupment thread, I think are good starts. As time passes, anything that a mod or user thinks is good to have there can be brought up. The mod of that forum can easily add/remove threads as they deem appropriate, and I would just say that the "threads of note" is started and closed right away, so that only the mod of that forum can post/change it.

I will say, that I think NASIOC is a MUCH better run board than CO4x4 is. And for as many people as they have there now, I think that says a lot."

heheee.......I could have said Nastistoc too. I have had pretty good success on that forum buying stuff and getting the info I need when something goes wrong with my WRX. I've upgraded it quite a bit, and before I got into wheeling, was a major focus. I've gotten it to a point where I'm content with it, as its fun to drive but not over the top.

I do like the thread structure on that forum, with the small stack of "Stickies" at the top pointing towards "FAQ" and "News" threads. Additionally, its not that hard to be better then Colorado 4x4. If you want an example of a really cool and very well run forum, you can't beat www.finalgear.com. Started out as a forum for enthusiasts of Top Gear and Fifth Gear (british TV shows about cars), but has become a huge forum devoted to everything automotive. Its the only forum I frequent more then Front Range at the moment, so that says something.

JH

Haku previously posted:
    "Additionally, its not that hard to be better then Colorado 4x4.
    JH"

Glad I'm not the only one. It's unfortunate that it's the single largest forum for wheeling in this area though. But I guess they are trying to make Lunatic eventually take it over(long, long way to go though, with hopefully less web wheelers).

And yea, My Subie was my prime vehicle focus, until I found out about wheeling when I moved out here. I thought I was going to go on all kinds of canyon runs and whatnot... then i found a $300 4x4. That was the end of the Subie mods for awhile.

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

I deleted another dozen or so users today who haven't been active for quite a while. I guess we'll never reach those CO4x4 "member" numbers. :lol:

Chris previously posted:
    "I deleted another dozen or so users today who haven't been active for quite a while. I guess we'll never reach those CO4x4 "member" numbers. :lol:"

oh well.....

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Yeah, we'll never have enough people here to merit plastering slow loading ads all over the place.

from colorado 4x4.... i had to chuckle a bit...

"Threads: 52,576, Posts: 986,975, Members: 13,153, Active Members: 2,009"

~18% active....

You mean as apposed to our 33% active? Still pretty good that we have 60 something people that frequent the site and actually post, when we restrict it to around 200 people registered.

That NASIOC one has about 21% active members, but has 212,000 people registered (so 45,000 people active). My other favorite forum, the Final Gear one, has 39,000 people signed up for 4500 people active at around 11%. Seems to me that keeping the numbers down in here is helping make sure that everyone who is actually signed up largely participates too.

JH

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

That's always been something that strikes me as stupid and is used as a ploy to get sponsors and advertisers. "We have a quarter million visitors!"

Just so you know what determines active is set by the admin though apparently a lot of admins don't know how to change it. I could show us as 100% active if I wanted to.

This is an example of why my cutting off registration shouldn't concern anyone. The active members numbers lie and forum admins do too. Look at any of the member lists and see how far you have to scroll before seeing someone who visited in the last few days.

Active seems to be very relative then. If it can be setup that active means one month, that doesn't mean much to me. I regularly disappear from boards for 1-3 months, then pop back up for awhile, then disappear again. I found that there is just TOO much to do in this state, I can't keep up with everything. :lol:

Members who have read this thread: 1