Front Range 4x4 Upcoming Trail Runs - Add a New Trail Run

Thread: Bah! Stupid previous owner terds!

Default Bah! Stupid previous owner terds!

Keep finding crap done wrong on my truck. Tonight I had to helicoil 2 holes. And since I was doing it, I did another 3 just to make sure I wouldn't have to go back later on them. When I took out the EGO sensor, I realized why I was having such a hard time with it. It was cross threaded, so tomorrow I need to pickup a thread chaser and fix that. When I had the head done at HbP, he had to redo half the valve cover holes, and found it easier to just helicoil all of them to 1/4-20. Seems every time I turn around, I find another stripped/cross threaded bolt somewhere. Highly irritating.

On the plus side, quite a few months ago I became a helicoil expert doing it quite a few times at work. We use them on almost all holes, because they are stronger than tapping straight into titanium/aluminum. So doing this at home on the truck tonight was no big deal this time around! :lol:

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Default Re: Bah! Stupid previous owner terds!

I am still dealing with irritating 'other owner' stuff on the 84 Yota I bought. Be nice if people with wrenches in their hands and a vehicle to work on actually knew what they were doing sometimes.

I have to replace all the gaskets in the front of my engine, about a 6 hour project since you have to take the radiator out, oil pan off, valve cover off, etc, just because the person who did it before me managed to butcher the gasket causing two WD40 size sprays of oil as soon as the engine RPMs go up...and this is after un assing a bunch of other crap work that got done.

LaDawn gave me until the end of the month

Last Online
    May 13th, 2019
    4x4
    '92 Range Rover
    User Name
    Funrover
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Thanks Given

Bummer.

Whether it REALLY was the previous owner or is my own fault, I always blame the previous owner.

greenramp previously posted:
    "Whether it REALLY was the previous owner or is my own fault, I always blame the previous owner."

+1 :lol:

greenramp previously posted:
    "Whether it REALLY was the previous owner or is my own fault, I always blame the previous owner."

LOL, I like that but I bought my truck new... I guess I can always blame Ford

Last Online
    February 29th, 2016
    4x4
    1985 4Runner
    User Name
    4Runninfun
    Real Name
    Jon
    Thanks Given

TELL ME ABOUT it. the PO of my truck completely screwed the motor. and i've been fighting this stupid BS for two years now. hopefully i'll have everything sorted out (finally)this winter!

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Ace previously posted:
    "LOL, I like that but I bought my truck new... I guess I can always blame Ford"

Well, for a new factory truck, you have the "Monday or Friday Truck" excuse...

Speedwagon previously posted:
    "Keep finding crap done wrong on my truck. Tonight I had to helicoil 2 holes. And since I was doing it, I did another 3 just to make sure I wouldn't have to go back later on them. When I took out the EGO sensor, I realized why I was having such a hard time with it. It was cross threaded, so tomorrow I need to pickup a thread chaser and fix that. When I had the head done at HbP, he had to redo half the valve cover holes, and found it easier to just helicoil all of them to 1/4-20. Seems every time I turn around, I find another stripped/cross threaded bolt somewhere. Highly irritating.

On the plus side, quite a few months ago I became a helicoil expert doing it quite a few times at work. We use them on almost all holes, because they are stronger than tapping straight into titanium/aluminum. So doing this at home on the truck tonight was no big deal this time around! :lol:"

I had the same issue with my truck. Some idiot put metric bolts in standard drilled holes on my front dif...it leaked and filled with water. All the holes were stripped. I had to have the dif pulled out, cleaned, and pretty much rebuilt.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Medic-5150 previously posted:
    "I had the same issue with my truck. Some idiot put metric bolts in standard drilled holes on my front dif...it leaked and filled with water. All the holes were stripped. I had to have the dif pulled out, cleaned, and pretty much rebuilt."

Easy enough to do as so many vehicles use a combination of metric and standard, but if the bolt doesn't go in easily, hey , maybe it isn't the right one. No big mental leap there! Too bad some people can't even make the small mental leaps...like across a synapse...

One of the reasons to just not toss bolts you take off, but to keep them in a nice neat area...or make a cardboard template for them. I have known too many people who work on stuff that do this and it always involves many needless trips to the auto store or hardware store to find the right bolt...I refuse to work with people that do this...

yep my ex roommate learned it the hard way from borrowing my tools, lose any and its done. I even told him to put the tools in a box with all the bolts and nuts he took off so they wouldnt get lost... did he listen.... nope and he never used my tools again. Ive never lost a single pice of my tools that i got back in 00 mainly cause i dont lend them out. My motto, they dont leave the garage.