4x4
    2008 FJ Cruiser/1982 FJ40
    User Name
    Rob
    Real Name
    Rob
    Thanks Given

Default Cruiser wheels on FJ40

So I was replacing the rusted-out front shocks on the new FJ40 today (with some cheap ones just to get the rusted ones off it) and figured while I had the wheels off I'd see if the stock wheels and tires that came with my FJ Cruiser would fit on the 40. I'd heard that 31-inch tires would fit a 40 without a lift and, sure enough, they did. They're 265/70R17's, which makes them close to 31 inches. The 40 came with 235's on 15.5-inch rims, so I think I gained about 2 inches of clearance under the diff, which gives me a little more than 9 inches now.

Couldn't get the back shocks on. The upper nuts are almost rusted on. I got one to the end of the bolt, using a 3-pound sledge, before giving up. The other upper bolt snapped off. I'm going to drop it off at All Phase on Monday to have them fab up a new upper shock mount.

The leaf springs will be next, but I'm not sure when. I noticed that, with the Cruiser wheels and tires on the 40, the leaf springs look almost flat. Anyone know if that's OK?

I also had to do an unintended addition today. The 40 wouldn't start when I went to test out the new shocks and tires, so I took the battery out of the Cruiser and put it in the 40. It started right up, so I went and got a new battery for the 40. While at the store, I figured, what the heck, I'd get some new terminals. Good thing, too. I replaced the positive terminal, then decided the negative one was fine. While I was tightening it, it broke (you could get the idea that I tend to break things), so on went the new negative terminal. Now the 40 has five shiny new parts.

Hey, it's a start.

Here's what it looked like when I bought it last week.

Name:  FJ40 2.jpg
Views: 6585
Size:  81.3 KB

Here it is with the FJ Cruiser stock wheels and tires.

Name:  FJ40 with Cruiser wheels 3.jpg
Views: 18523
Size:  65.2 KB

And one of the cheap front shocks.

Name:  FJ40, new front shocks.jpg
Views: 3425
Size:  59.0 KB

You'll have to imagine what the new battery and terminals look like. I don't believe I've every taken a photo of a battery before and didn't want to start down that slippery slope.

Default Re: Cruiser wheels on FJ40

DrUnit previously posted:
    "So I was replacing the rusted-out front shocks on the new FJ40 today (with some cheap ones just to get the rusted ones off it) and figured while I had the wheels off I'd see if the stock wheels and tires that came with my FJ Cruiser would fit on the 40. I'd heard that 31-inch tires would fit a 40 without a lift and, sure enough, they did. They're 265/70R17's, which makes them close to 31 inches. The 40 came with 235's on 15.5-inch rims, so I think I gained about 2 inches of clearance under the diff, which gives me a little more than 9 inches now.

Couldn't get the back shocks on. The upper nuts are almost rusted on. I got one to the end of the bolt, using a 3-pound sledge, before giving up. The other upper bolt snapped off. I'm going to drop it off at All Phase on Monday to have them fab up a new upper shock mount.

The leaf springs will be next, but I'm not sure when. I noticed that, with the Cruiser wheels and tires on the 40, the leaf springs look almost flat. Anyone know if that's OK?

I also had to do an unintended addition today. The 40 wouldn't start when I went to test out the new shocks and tires, so I took the battery out of the Cruiser and put it in the 40. It started right up, so I went and got a new battery for the 40. While at the store, I figured, what the heck, I'd get some new terminals. Good thing, too. I replaced the positive terminal, then decided the negative one was fine. While I was tightening it, it broke (you could get the idea that I tend to break things), so on went the new negative terminal. Now the 40 has five shiny new parts.

Hey, it's a start.

Here's what it looked like when I bought it last week.

Name:  FJ40 2.jpg
Views: 6585
Size:  81.3 KB

Here it is with the FJ Cruiser stock wheels and tires.

Name:  FJ40 with Cruiser wheels 3.jpg
Views: 18523
Size:  65.2 KB

And one of the cheap front shocks.

Name:  FJ40, new front shocks.jpg
Views: 3425
Size:  59.0 KB

You'll have to imagine what the new battery and terminals look like. I don't believe I've every taken a photo of a battery before and didn't want to start down that slippery slope."

Thats a very good lookin 40!
    congrats

Justin

looks good....

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Looks good!

How about the next time you need something fabbed, give me a call. I have some shock mounts in my parts stuff....

If you have clearance for the tires, I wouldn't worry too much if your springs are a little flat. See what happens when you go off road. Flat springs tend to flex really nicely both ways. My fronts are a little flagged, but the flex and ride are fine, so I have left them the way they are. I have also replaced the springs on another rig with some played out springs to soften the ride and improve the flex. Clearance is your biggest concern...

Last Online
    May 13th, 2019
    4x4
    '92 Range Rover
    User Name
    Funrover
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Thanks Given

I am actually shocked, looks better than I would have imagined

Last Online
    August 19th, 2014
    4x4
    2007 FJ Cruiser
    User Name
    Pathrat
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks Given

Funrover previously posted:
    "I am actually shocked, looks better than I would have imagined"

That 40 is in great looking condition huh!

Last Online
    December 19th, 2020
    4x4
    User Name
    Rob
    Real Name
    Rob
    Thanks Given

Brody previously posted:
    "Looks good!

How about the next time you need something fabbed, give me a call. I have some shock mounts in my parts stuff...."

Jeez, Pete, if I did that, I'd be calling you every half-hour or so. I couldn't do that to you. Anyway, I'm saving you for the really big stuff.

About those springs. Dave thinks they're so old, they might break when I get if on a trail. I'll let you give me a second opinion.

I had to take the Cruiser wheels and tires off for now. The left driver was rubbing on hard left turns.

Pathrat previously posted:
    "That 40 is in great looking condition huh!"

Yeah, it's in pretty good shape. I need to grind some rust spots in the bed and hit them with some rust reformer, then spray the bed down with truck liner. I'm also going to rattlecan the underside as much as possible to keep the rust down. That'll work until I can afford a frame-off restoration, which likely will be never. :(

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

DrUnit previously posted:
    "That'll work until I can afford a frame-off restoration"

Over-rated for us old farts Rob, why have a truck looking better than oneself.

Last Online
    December 19th, 2020
    4x4
    User Name
    Rob
    Real Name
    Rob
    Thanks Given

Chris previously posted:
    "Over-rated for us old farts Rob, why have a truck looking better than oneself. "

Hey, if Brody can do a butt tuck, I can do a frame-off.

Ah, maybe you're right. When I get the 40 on a trail, it'll be a couple of tired old rust buckets wishing it was all downhill.

Last Online
    December 31st, 2023
    4x4
    Tacoma
    User Name
    dr350jja
    Real Name
    Jim
    Thanks Given

Chris previously posted:
    "DrUnit previously posted:
    "That'll work until I can afford a frame-off restoration"

Over-rated for us old farts Rob, why have a truck looking better than oneself."

-- I'm starting to see the logic here Chris. Miss you guys --