4x4
    2004 Nissan Xterra
    User Name
    Andrew
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Thanks Given

Default Re: My Build Thread

Picked up a Warn 9.5xp Winch and bunches of odds and ends.

So after getting a winch I needed somewhere to mount it. With a trip to Ouray coming fast I wanted to get it done ASAP. I needed a new front bumper. I planned to have everything mounted up and running for Ouray, but then broke my thumb so that went down the tubes. So this is my "secret" mod that I was going to surprise everyone with on the Ouray trip. Scotty from Addicted Offroad built the bumper.

I also painted all of the grey plastic trim pieces to black. Even the gas tank tab. Except for the one red highlight on the front that is.

Pics:

Last Online
    May 13th, 2019
    4x4
    '92 Range Rover
    User Name
    Funrover
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Thanks Given

Nice interior rack, you have more pics of that? also what does the red twist on stopper on the intake do?

Last Online
    February 15th, 2014
    4x4
    2004 Nissan Xterra
    User Name
    Andrew
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Thanks Given

Not at the moment. It's just wire shelving from home depot cut to fit. Plasti-Dip on the hooks in the roof and some quick snaps and hung up, with some elastic netting on it to hold stuff. Hard to see but there is a mag-lite mounted on it. It holds recovery strap, hi-lift offroad base, spout for gas, couple sets of gloves, various stuff.

The red stopper is where a resonator used to be - just cut a piece off and used that to close it off, otherwise there would be a hole there and that would be bad.

Thats is sweet man.. Haven't ever seen an Xterra that nice.

Keep up the good work!

Last Online
    February 15th, 2014
    4x4
    2004 Nissan Xterra
    User Name
    Andrew
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Thanks Given

Thanks! When I decided to get something for offroading I had a few things that I wanted. First and foremost - no Jeeps. Why? Everyone has a Jeep lol. I wanted something different and didn't want to be just another Jeep on the trail. I also wanted all my cargo area enclosed, and decent seating. This ruled out a truck or I might have gone with a Taco. I know - camper, but I like the seating in an SUV better.

I already had a Nissan (my Maxima) and it has treated me well - excellent reliable car. So I looked into the Xterra. I have always liked the look, and did research. I found I could do plenty of upgrades to it in order to get it to a level I wanted, so I found one and got it. Even managed the color I wanted and it has 4.9 gears and an LSD in the rear. Not bad!

Toyota was really the only other brand I considered. But decided to stick with Nissan.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Took another look at your build thread. Pretty nice and a nice bunch of out of the box thinking. Home Depo/Lowes must love you!

If you have the time, you may just want to wander through a pick and pull yard like Colorado Auto Parts, south of Hampden or Pick and Pull off of 62nd and Pecos. I wander through sometimes just getting ideas for stuff I want to do and what I see that I can use from, well, damn near anything.

As couple of for instances, I am using parts of a Pontiac front grill for hood louvers, a piece of a custom grill that I beat flat and cut to fit for my hood scoop grill, and a Yota fan that I got out of a passenger car for a cooling fan. I am also planning on doing a PVC snorkel at some point and found a sweet piece from a SAAB air intake that I can reverse and use for the actual snorkel part.

I am using some gutter guard left over from a building project for my front grill, too.

I guess what I am saying is that I sure like the way your rig is coming together! Love the interior rack and storage, too.

Last Online
    February 15th, 2014
    4x4
    2004 Nissan Xterra
    User Name
    Andrew
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Thanks Given

Thanks!

You have no idea how much I've spent at Home Depot/Lowes lol.

My next DIY project is to make one of those tarp awnings that will pull out from my roof rack from a tube. Some tarp poles and such and I'll have one so much cheaper than the ones you can buy pre-made.

I'll have to crank it up by hand...but who cares?

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Andrew previously posted:
    "Thanks!

You have no idea how much I've spent at Home Depot/Lowes lol.

My next DIY project is to make one of those tarp awnings that will pull out from my roof rack from a tube. Some tarp poles and such and I'll have one so much cheaper than the ones you can buy pre-made.

I'll have to crank it up by hand...but who cares?"

Get a hold of Aaron (funrover) about the awning. This was something that he was researching and planning on doing awhile back and he will know where his posts are. At any rate, he posted quite a few links to sites with a lot of information on a home made awning that may save you some time and give you some good ideas.

Here is one of his that I found by doing a site search for the word "awning". It was in the build threads.

http://frontrange4x4.com/forums/show...ghlight=awning

You know you have been into Lowes/Home Depo too much when you have people greeting you by name and asking how your rig project is going....

Last Online
    May 13th, 2019
    4x4
    '92 Range Rover
    User Name
    Funrover
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Thanks Given

I have come across a few more then what was posted there.. however I also have a few new ideas

Last Online
    February 15th, 2014
    4x4
    2004 Nissan Xterra
    User Name
    Andrew
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Thanks Given

Yeah looked at that thread. I am thinking PVC as well.

Last Online
    May 13th, 2019
    4x4
    '92 Range Rover
    User Name
    Funrover
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Thanks Given

"Yeah looked at that thread. I am thinking PVC as well."

I was actually thinking 1x1 thin wall steel or aluminum. Get a good canvas and attach a section to the outside end that clips into 2 other arms that swing out. Mount it to my rack. It would work great. You simply unattatch the middle crossbar from the sides and roll it with the canvas then fold the side arms in (covering the material from trees/rocks) and clip shut. Also with this design you don't need ropes or string tied into the ground (to trip over at night time) It's also a lot lighter than the PVC set up.

Last Online
    February 15th, 2014
    4x4
    2004 Nissan Xterra
    User Name
    Andrew
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Thanks Given

Well what I am doing is making a 2-sided awning. So it will have the roof, but then come down past the tarp poles to make a wall on one side. You can either pull out enough to do that, or just the roof. The weight is going to be in the tarp. I am looking for ideas to reduce weight though. Hell I have so much weight already that I'm not sure my rig would notice lol.

Last Online
    May 13th, 2019
    4x4
    '92 Range Rover
    User Name
    Funrover
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Thanks Given

"Well what I am doing is making a 2-sided awning. So it will have the roof, but then come down past the tarp poles to make a wall on one side. You can either pull out enough to do that, or just the roof. The weight is going to be in the tarp. I am looking for ideas to reduce weight though. Hell I have so much weight already that I'm not sure my rig would notice lol."

I am bad at describing... but you could easily make an add-a-room with the idea I have as that was my first plan. Awning day/room night type of thing. My first thought was so I could use the tailgate to cook during the day and at night make the back a room to change in and to access the back of the rover for sleeping.. It's a lot easier to get in the back end when open the it is for the wife and I to crawl through the back doors

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12