4x4
    2012 Jeep JKUR
    User Name
    4wdhunter
    Real Name
    Mark
    Thanks Given

Default New shocks

With my new suspension configuration I'm most likely going to need some new shocks. I've heard really good things about the Bilsteins, but those aren't in the budget right now.

I'd like to stay in the $200 & under range for a set of 4, and have so far been looking at Pro-Comp and Rancho. Anybody have experience with these? Or anybody have any other recommendations?

Thanks,
    Mark

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Default Re: New shocks

Well, from personal experience I hate Bilstiens. Here is a quick story and you can make your own call from it, but you couldn't give me a set that I would put on my rig.

When I did my SAS, I had a few bucks and decided to put the Bilstien 5150 with the attached reservoir on them. These ran about $140 each and I thought that I would be getting a really good shock. I put them on all four corners.

Within about 4 months, the front shocks started leaking so badly, they were leaving a puddle under my rig. I took them back to Off Road Solutions where I had bought them, thinking that for $140 a shock, they ought to have a pretty good warranty. Well, much to ORS' and my surprise, Bilstien said that don't warranty these shocks and were rude to Mike Caskey to boot. I then got on the phone to Bilstien and tried to get some help. They esentially told me to suck wind.

I then went down to High Country as they aslo sell Bilstiens and they tried to get them warrantied. They had the same results. My friend Jarret down there had a set of Pro Comps off his old rig that he let me have.

About 6 months later, my back shocks did the same thing. I didn't even try to warranty them. The end result of this is that not only do I tell this to anyone who is looking for shocks, but that Off Road Solutions and High Country stopped pushing these shocks and wouldn't sell them unless someone asked for them specifically.

Any place that sells high dollar shocks (I figured that the ones that I bought for $140 probaly cost Bilstien around $25 each to make) should stand behind and warranty their products. Like I said, you really couldn't give a set of these...

Currently I have a set of long travel Pro Comp 3000s that cost me $156 for all 4. I am happy with them. I have used both ProComps and Ranchos for quite awhile, some of them living through more than one rig. They both last forever, both are warrantied, and both do the job just fine. If you are looking for a basic off road shock that does what you ask it to, will last just about forever, don't want to spend big bucks and don't mind a slight loss of ride quality, these are the ones to get.

Yours would probably cost less as the cost goes up above 30"...

Just my, but Bilstien, their associates, their policies, and especially their customer service can simply suck wind...and suck much more, too...

Last Online
    4 Days Ago
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Along the same line but size rather than make, how do you measure to make sure you get the right size. Mine limit drop right now and will get some that don't at some point.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Chris previously posted:
    "Along the same line but size rather than make, how do you measure to make sure you get the right size. Mine limit drop right now and will get some that don't at some point."

Well, there are many schools of thought on this one, but if you have a stock rig and do a 4" lift, for instance, you would want shocks 4" longer. Most off road shock manufacturers have this lift referenced for 4x4s to make things simple.

On mine, since it isn't stock, and what I was more concerned about was the droop, I simple disconnected my old shocks from the axle and hiked the rig up until the axle was at full droop. Extending my old shocks to their limit, I then measured the distance between the old shock eye and the mounting bolt, then added an 1" or so to be on the safe side. Better to be a little long than too short, too, even if it doesn't put you right in the sweet spot on the shock. This has worked out and I have never bottomed out shocks doing it this way.

There are much more complex ways to measure this, but this simple way has worked for me for all the rigs that I have had that were beyond what was specced out.

Last Online
    January 25th, 2021
    4x4
    2012 Jeep JKUR
    User Name
    4wdhunter
    Real Name
    Mark
    Thanks Given

Brody previously posted:
    "Well, from personal experience I hate Bilstiens. Here is a quick story and you can make your own call from it, but you couldn't give me a set that I would put on my rig.

When I did my SAS, I had a few bucks and decided to put the Bilstien 5150 with the attached reservoir on them. These ran about $140 each and I thought that I would be getting a really good shock. I put them on all four corners.

Within about 4 months, the front shocks started leaking so badly, they were leaving a puddle under my rig. I took them back to Off Road Solutions where I had bought them, thinking that for $140 a shock, they ought to have a pretty good warranty. Well, much to ORS' and my surprise, Bilstien said that don't warranty these shocks and were rude to Mike Caskey to boot. I then got on the phone to Bilstien and tried to get some help. They esentially told me to suck wind.

I then went down to High Country as they aslo sell Bilstiens and they tried to get them warrantied. They had the same results. My friend Jarret down there had a set of Pro Comps off his old rig that he let me have.

About 6 months later, my back shocks did the same thing. I didn't even try to warranty them. The end result of this is that not only do I tell this to anyone who is looking for shocks, but that Off Road Solutions and High Country stopped pushing these shocks and wouldn't sell them unless someone asked for them specifically.

Any place that sells high dollar shocks (I figured that the ones that I bought for $140 probaly cost Bilstien around $25 each to make) should stand behind and warranty their products. Like I said, you really couldn't give a set of these...

Currently I have a set of long travel Pro Comp 3000s that cost me $156 for all 4. I am happy with them. I have used both ProComps and Ranchos for quite awhile, some of them living through more than one rig. They both last forever, both are warrantied, and both do the job just fine. If you are looking for a basic off road shock that does what you ask it to, will last just about forever, don't want to spend big bucks and don't mind a slight loss of ride quality, these are the ones to get.

Yours would probably cost less as the cost goes up above 30"...

Just my, but Bilstien, their associates, their policies, and especially their customer service can simply suck wind...and suck much more, too..."

That's some really good info to know about the Bilsteins. You'd think they would stand behind their product a little bit better. I think even if I had the money I wouldn't by them after reading that.

Last Online
    4 Days Ago
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Brody previously posted:
    "There are much more complex ways to measure this, but this simple way has worked for me for all the rigs that I have had that were beyond what was specced out."

Thanks Pete, more complex isn't my style and your description is what made sense to me. Now to find some cash.

Last Online
    January 25th, 2021
    4x4
    2012 Jeep JKUR
    User Name
    4wdhunter
    Real Name
    Mark
    Thanks Given

I've always measured for shocks pretty much the same way Brody described above. By disconnecting all shocks and flexing a rig on an RTI ramp or a big rock you can get both the extended and collasped lengths for F&R shocks at the same time.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Chris previously posted:
    "Thanks Pete, more complex isn't my style and your description is what made sense to me. Now to find some cash."

Keep in mind that you aren't restricted to EMU just because you have an LC...

Last Online
    4 Days Ago
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Anyone familiar with Gas Grande sol by NAPA? Made for 1 ton trucks and said to be better than Rancho they are rebranded Monroe's. An added bonus Pete is that they're yellow like OME's :lol:

I do love my Bilstein 5150's, but now I guess I'm screwed if they break, thanks for that info Brody! I have run pro-comps and Rancho, and there ok but never been impressed with them. Check out Edelbrocks site they are getting out of the shock business and selling their inventory off cheep. Also Dochtech makes a good shock, priced about the same as pro-comps. And on the cheaper side Gabrial makes a good cheep shock for lifted apps, you can get those through places like autozone/kragen ect.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

I liked the performance of my Bilstiens, too. I just expected a little more when they started leaking like a Harley before 4 months was up. They literally left puddles under my rig and when I took them off, here was almost no resistance moving the shock in and out. They were totally trashed.

And no, they won't be warrantied, so I hope they last..

When sizing for a shock you must take into concideration of the compressed length too. Some shock are made to be used as bump stops but you have top make sure your shock mounts can handle that load as well.

On my baja and desert race cars I ran the KYB's and they never let me down. I had run Bilstiens before that and when they failed I just didn't want to spend the money to replace them so I stumbled onto the KYB's and never looked back. I never considered them for my Sammy though being they are gas charged and I am not really jumpoiing and working the shock as much.

On a lite rig as the sammy with soft springs I like the doetsch tech 3000 shocks over the Ranchos. I have run both and like the feel of the cheaper doetsch tech shocks. I have run 2 different Ranchos, the Nitro 7000 and the cheaper 5000 series and still prefer the doetsch 3000. Deotch Tech also had a better size selection and the Ranchos were some what limited. Oce I got the size figured out I bought them at http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/samsuspparts.htm They also carry the 8000 series which have the built in bump stops. You can order them direct also for the same price and be sure you know what bolt and eye style you need. They are very friendly there too. http://www.doetsch-shocks.com/

Last Online
    April 14th, 2016
    User Name
    gm4x4lover
    Real Name
    Nicholas Boisvert
    Thanks Given

Its funny, There are only a few shock manufactures, and alot of reboxing for different companies. The rancho's, Edelbrocks, pro comp, and i think skyjacker are all made by the same company. i run the pro-comps and i like them alot. I have had to warranty 2 shocks with no issues. they also handle, feel, and ride exactly the same as the rancho's. and they are the least expensive.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

I think Monroe manufacturers most of the shocks that you just named...

Last Online
    4 Days Ago
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Which is the case with the Gas Grande I asked about. Rebranded to NAPA.

Last Online
    January 25th, 2021
    4x4
    2012 Jeep JKUR
    User Name
    4wdhunter
    Real Name
    Mark
    Thanks Given

Gecko Cycles previously posted:
    "When sizing for a shock you must take into concideration of the compressed length too. Some shock are made to be used as bump stops but you have top make sure your shock mounts can handle that load as well.

On my baja and desert race cars I ran the KYB's and they never let me down. I had run Bilstiens before that and when they failed I just didn't want to spend the money to replace them so I stumbled onto the KYB's and never looked back. I never considered them for my Sammy though being they are gas charged and I am not really jumpoiing and working the shock as much.

On a lite rig as the sammy with soft springs I like the doetsch tech 3000 shocks over the Ranchos. I have run both and like the feel of the cheaper doetsch tech shocks. I have run 2 different Ranchos, the Nitro 7000 and the cheaper 5000 series and still prefer the doetsch 3000. Deotch Tech also had a better size selection and the Ranchos were some what limited. Oce I got the size figured out I bought them at http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/samsuspparts.htm They also carry the 8000 series which have the built in bump stops. You can order them direct also for the same price and be sure you know what bolt and eye style you need. They are very friendly there too. http://www.doetsch-shocks.com/"

Thanks for the info. about DT, I'd forgotten about them/didn't know they were still around. I'll check them out.

Last Online
    April 14th, 2016
    User Name
    gm4x4lover
    Real Name
    Nicholas Boisvert
    Thanks Given

Brody previously posted:
    "I think Monroe manufacturers most of the shocks that you just named..."

I couldnt remember if it was monroe or gabrial.

When doing your research ask about the valving. Shocks have different compression and rebound damping. The DT3000 were softer I know and If I recall were 50 50. I know both the the Ranchos I mentioned were more like 60 40. Sorry I can't remember more details. It was a while since I did the research.

Last Online
    January 25th, 2021
    4x4
    2012 Jeep JKUR
    User Name
    4wdhunter
    Real Name
    Mark
    Thanks Given

Hey karolinakid88 - I got your PM and tried to reply but got a message back saying you weren't accepting PM's. Let me know if I'm doing something wrong or email me at jeepingjohnson@comcast.net

Thanks,
    Mark