4x4
    1990 Cherokee
    User Name
    Hypoid
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

Default Today held a first for me.

I was working in the backyard, moved a rock and heard a t-t-t-t-t-t-t sound. I saw a little bitty snake, right about where the t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t was originating.

It took a second to correlate the snake with the sound. "It couldn't be" I though to myself.

t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t

"I guess they do live on this mountian."

t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t

"Good thing my little dog didn't find it."

t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t

Today was the first time I came nose-to-nose with a rattlesnake.

It's a dead mo-fo now!

Of course I took video...

Default Re: Today held a first for me.

good thing too that little fakker has enough to kill you in a few minutes. im all for snakes and love em but dont want them round the house. they do however keep rodents away. i love catching poisonous snakes too by hand and a stick of course.

yikes

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

DEEZLPWR previously posted:
    "good thing too that little fakker has enough to kill you in a few minutes. im all for snakes and love em but dont want them round the house. they do however keep rodents away. i love catching poisonous snakes too by hand and a stick of course."

Actually, a rattlesnake bit won't kill you unless you have a very weak heart. What it will do, speaking from experience, is make you sick as s***, give you a major headache, you get a bit shocky, and start tissue rotting around the bite. And all of this if you do manage to get a lot of the venom out. Some of this is dependent on the size of the snake vs the size of the person, too. I was lucky to get bitten by a relatively small (3') snake. If I had been bitten (at 12 years old) by a 6' rattler, it would've been a different story. Since we had over 100 acres of forest and pastures to play on and around, we did a lot of exploring, camping, etc at a pretty early age and learned about how to take care of stuff (at the insistence of my parents) pretty well. It was still a very scary experience.

Almost everyone that worked at Ross Allen had been bitten many times as they milked the snakes and had developed a tolerance for the venom.To my knowledge, there are no snakes in the North American continent that will kill you you in 'minutes', you pretty much have to go to where there are adders and pit vipers to get this and these will do it in considerably less time. These are what you get the 'two step' phrase from as their venom is so bad, you only go a couple of steps before you die.

The most poisonous snake we have here is the coral snake, but you don't have too much problem with this as their teeth are so small they have to chew on you for awhile to break the skin. This is similar to the most poisonous spider being the daddy long legs..it's fangs are to small to penetrate the skin...thankfully. This is followed closely by the Copperhead, but the area that the Copperhead inhabit are pretty small. The most dangerous snake bite in the USA is that of the Cottonmouth and that is due more to the absolute filth in it's mouth more than anything else. People end up getting sicker from the bite than from the venom.

We used to catch these when we were kids in Florida and talk one of our mothers into taking a couple of burlap bags of rattlesnakes and water mocassions down to Ross Allen Snake Institute to sell them. Since he paid something like $1 and inch over 5', we were always going after the biggest ones we could get.

Of course doing this quite a lot and actively looking for poisonous snakes, one of us was going to get tagged at some point. It just happened to be me and it big me in the forearm. I was about 12 years old but knew what to do about a snake bite (old school style: razor blade, suction cup)as did my two buddies that I did the snake hunting with.

Still no fun to surprise one, though, and glad that you didn't get bitten.

We have to be careful at some of the climbing areas we go to, too. Table Mountain in Golden and Shelf Road down by Canyon City are notorious for having major numbers of rather big rattlers sunning themselves, many times right where you are going to be setting up. Since they tend to scare many people away, we just whack them with a big damn stick, then have the area to ourselves...

Here is a picture of me at 5 1/2 (labeled 'Spring 1957) with a 'pet' rat snake. I have another one somewhere, maybe a couple of years older, holding one that hits the ground with my arm extended over my head. We used to get rattlers up by the house, had to swat cottonmouths when we were fishing, and had all sorts of snakes and critters in the house no matter what we did.

Last Online
    December 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    1990 Cherokee
    User Name
    Hypoid
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

Yeah, I've heard the smaller one's venom is more potent.

One of our little dogs likes to root around in stuff. If she found it, she would have got bit. Not what we want to spend $$$ on right now

Since it's topical, here is a pic of the little buggers. They are therapy dogs; our little happy pills.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

The dog would've been toast. Good thing it wasn't (or you) bitten.

Quite a few years ago we were going to put up some climbs on Tick Dome which is the rock across the river from where Metberry Gulch drops you down. I had my Lab with me and he had been doing some exploring. All of a sudden I hear all this barking and commotion. I thought that the dog had cornered a mountain lion. (this was back in the late 70's and the area wasn't nearly as busy. We had also seen tracks and spoor on a previous trip when there was a dusting of snow on the ground) It turned out he had found a pretty damn big rattler under a rock and was having an animated conversation with it. This was actually the first rattler I had ever seen in this area.

I have since seen another in the Platte, this one crossing the road. That one was around 5' long and was very healthy looking.

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

The last place I lived was next to an access path to Cherry Creek State Park so we had rattlers sunbathing on the sidewalk/road fairly often. On the sidewalk through the access area there's a caution to stay on the sidewalk. The first time I saw one was when I was walking my dog and she jumped about 3' in the air and totally freaked out. That's when I heard and saw it, about 3 feet long, kept my eyes open from then on.

Thank Brody for the info. For some reason I was thinking most venomous snakes here in the US were of the viper family out side of the water moccasin and coral. Got me to open Google for now I was curious.
    I have heard that small baby snakes venom was more toxic than large ones but the large ones can give you higher dosage per bite.
    I also didn't know about daddy long legs being poisonous and certainly not more than a widow or the brown recluses, so I goggled that too. and they are not really poisonous to humans it seems to any great extent. See Myth Busters article or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pholcidae

Don't we love the internet!

I saw this one cross the path in front of me not far from the house.

I believe it is a bull snake, anybody know for sure?

It was definitely a big sucker, and hissed at me when I grabbed it's tail so I left him alone.

you are correct sir!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_hognose_snake

pretty snake too!

good snakes to have round they eat rodents and lizards...

DEEZLPWR previously posted:
    "good snakes to have round they eat rodents and lizards..."

He looked well fed, it was at least 6' long, that link doesn't mention bull snake as one of it's common names.

I marveled at that thing as long as it let me, very cool to see a big snake like that wandering about.

6' oh yeah field mice more likely

my boa is 5' long now

Those snakes are definitely cool, and luckily not poisonous. We found one at Summer Camp one year and it was the talk of the camp for a day. Its funny, as I used to love catching those things, but can't stand to touch snakes anymore. Guess I'm just a big wuss now.

JH

Last Online
    May 13th, 2019
    4x4
    '92 Range Rover
    User Name
    Funrover
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Thanks Given

FUN FUN!!

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

This is a picture of what Randy thinks of when 'Daddy Long Legs' are mentioned. God only knows what he thinks when snakes are mentioned.....

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

And I stand corrected. After Ken mentioned googling stuff about daddylonglegs and the fact that they aren't poisonous, I did, too. I always though that they were spiders, but couldn't bite you. This is in fact, a popular myth...as is the fact that they are spiders, which they are not.

Here is what I found:

Myth: A "daddy-longlegs" is a kind of spider.
    Fact: This is a tricky one. Unfortunately, different people call completely different creatures by the "daddy" term.

Most Americans who spend time outdoors use the term for long-legged harvestmen (below, right), which are ground-dwelling outdoor creatures. Harvestmen are arachnids, but they are not spiders -- in the same way that butterflies are insects, but they are not beetles. Harvestmen have one body section (spiders have two), two eyes on a little bump (most spiders have eight), a segmented abdomen (unsegmented in spiders), no silk, no venom, a totally different respiratory system, and many other differences; not all have long legs.

The British, some Canadians, and some southeastern Americans use the "daddy" term for long-legged flies (crane flies, family Tipulidae) (below, left), which are insects. That usage is found in Edward Lear's famous nonsense poem "The Daddy-Longlegs and the Fly."

Finally, people who seldom venture outdoors may only have seen one long-legged arachnid, the house spider Pholcus phalangioides (below, center), and use the "daddy" term for that. So there is one "daddy-longlegs" which is a spider, and a couple of thousand species which are not spiders.

Confusing, isn't it? I think so too; in fact, it's so confusing that the "daddy" term really doesn't mean anything, and it would be better to just forget it and say "harvestman" when you mean harvestman. Click here to jump to a popular urban legend about harvestmen.
    Will the real "daddy-longlegs" please stand up?
    That confusing term is used for all these widely different creatures: (left) a crane fly, Tipula sp.; (center) a pholcid house spider, Pholcus phalangioides;(right) a harvestman, Metaphalangium albounilineatum (one of many similar harvestman species).
    Insects have their myths too: crane flies are not giant mosquitoes -- and they don't eat mosquitoes either! Oh..and this was after wading through a bunch of sites that had links to other sites such as "Racoons ate all my gumballs" so you can make your own call on how accurate this is....

Actually, this same information in many forms is represented on many other sites, so I am assuming that what I copied here is accurate.

Didn't know it was called that........but the one I recognize as a "daddy long legs" is the Harvestman one, and I'm pretty sure its the same one that Mythbusters did a segment on. Not totally sure what the real answer is, but the Myth i always heard was that they were really poisonous, but their mouth was too small and weak to actually break through human skin. Can't remember the outcome, but I know at one point Adam had his arm in a big jar full of them and didn't die.

JH

Thanks Brody for taking all this time. I know how the internet can suck away hours of it real fast and is so easy to get side tracked doing some reasearch.
    I thought the Daddy long legs was the crane fly. I didn't have the time to dive into it further and really learn anything. So again thanks.

I believe I read that Adam did finally manage to get bitten but got no more than a slight bump. My son told me this also so take that with a grain of salt. LOL. Not sure of which Daddy Long Legs that was used in the Myth Buster expieriment. I got to run and no time to play on the internet anymore.

Damnit!
    I'm back. I remembered that the crane fly I thought was called the Mosquito Hawk and not daddy anything and the Harvestmen was what I thought was the Daddy Long legs.:lol: