4x4
    2021 Gladiator Diesel
    User Name
    Aaron
    Real Name
    Aaron Phillips
    Thanks Given

Default Poudre Canyon

Well, this weekend was a family camping weekend and it was awesome. We left Friday night and came back today (Sunday). Saturday, we had hoped to take Old Flowers Road but the gate was still closed. However, there was a road next to the gate called Monument Gulch Road. It was an easy 5 mile road but has some great views and an old cabin. We met one of the owners of the land on the trail and she was very nice.

We then drove by the Kelly Flats trail but upon looking it up decided that it was way too hard to do by ourselves and may be too hard anyway.

We took a drive down CR 69 to Red Feather Lakes and then on the way back, took Forest Road 68-C and FR 225. We chose this road because we saw some ATVs and dirt bikes on the way up 69 (between Red Feather Lakes and 14).

The trail ended up being what I would call moderate as there weren't any real "obstacles" with the exception of 9 stream crossings which of course got deeper as we went down. The road, however, was VERY rocky in some parts. Rocky enough that Anna got out to spot. We didn't disconnect or air down so it was a rough road.

As we were by ourselves, not a lot of action shots. Lots of scenery...

These first ones are from Monument Gulch Road. The last one is from 44e. Baby deer... There were 3 plus Mama!

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    2021 Gladiator Diesel
    User Name
    Aaron
    Real Name
    Aaron Phillips
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Poudre Canyon

Some more... These are on 68-C and 225. Easy is 68C, Hard (to me) was 225.

We've decided that we want to get to know this area better. It's beautiful and pretty close. The last two runs we've done up this way have been awesome!

Nice!
    I was up there at the same time on Fri. Went form Louisville to Masonville and then over to Poudre Cyn and then to Red Feather and back the same way, then up to Walden and then back down the Poudre and back through Masonville and 287 home.

Long day of driving. Was going to go to Saratoga Hot Springs but my son had to be back to Empire area by 7 pm. I wanted a soak, so I guess I'll just make a trip up there by myself. With all this rain the hot springs may be flooded. I should call first. I went up there last year and they were closed because they were so flooded. That was a long trip for little reward.

The Poudre wasn't as high and muddy as I would of thought or I would of brought some fly rods.

Where did you end up camping?

Did you go to the Stupa in Red Feather?

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    2021 Gladiator Diesel
    User Name
    Aaron
    Real Name
    Aaron Phillips
    Thanks Given

Gecko Cycles previously posted:
    "Nice!
    I was up there at the same time on Fri. Went form Louisville to Masonville and then over to Poudre Cyn and then to Red Feather and back the same way, then up to Walden and then back down the Poudre and back through Masonville and 287 home.

Long day of driving. Was going to go to Saratoga Hot Springs but my son had to be back to Empire area by 7 pm. I wanted a soak, so I guess I'll just make a trip up there by myself. With all this rain the hot springs may be flooded. I should call first. I went up there last year and they were closed because they were so flooded. That was a long trip for little reward.

The Poudre wasn't as high and muddy as I would of thought or I would of brought some fly rods.

Where did you end up camping?"

We had the camper at Mountain Park Campground. Nice campground. Great for a home base while exploring. I LOVE EXPLORING!!

aphillips76 previously posted:
    "Well, this weekend was a family camping weekend and it was awesome. We left Friday night and came back today (Sunday). Saturday, we had hoped to take Old Flowers Road but the gate was still closed. However, there was a road next to the gate called Monument Gulch Road. It was an easy 5 mile road but has some great views and an old cabin. We met one of the owners of the land on the trail and she was very nice.

We then drove by the Kelly Flats trail but upon looking it up decided that it was way too hard to do by ourselves and may be too hard anyway.

We took a drive down CR 69 to Red Feather Lakes and then on the way back, took Forest Road 68-C and FR 225. We chose this road because we saw some ATVs and dirt bikes on the way up 69 (between Red Feather Lakes and 14).

The trail ended up being what I would call moderate as there weren't any real "obstacles" with the exception of 9 stream crossings which of course got deeper as we went down. The road, however, was VERY rocky in some parts. Rocky enough that Anna got out to spot. We didn't disconnect or air down so it was a rough road.

As we were by ourselves, not a lot of action shots. Lots of scenery...

These first ones are from Monument Gulch Road. The last one is from 44e. Baby deer... There were 3 plus Mama!"

i think you could have made kelly flats in that jeep if you take all the bypasses its not to bad

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    2021 Gladiator Diesel
    User Name
    Aaron
    Real Name
    Aaron Phillips
    Thanks Given

"Did you go to the Stupa in Red Feather?"

We didn't do much up there. What's the stupa?

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    2021 Gladiator Diesel
    User Name
    Aaron
    Real Name
    Aaron Phillips
    Thanks Given

porkchop previously posted:
    "i think you could have made kelly flats in that jeep if you take all the bypasses its not to bad"

Maybe. I'll wait till we do it as a group...

nice pics, love those old cabins.

camping+offroading= best time ever. nice pics

"We didn't do much up there. What's the stupa?"

It is the Buddhist Temple. Lots of hiking around up there on easy trails and the artwork of the temple and area is cool.

"Maybe. I'll wait till we do it as a group..."

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=37

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    2021 Gladiator Diesel
    User Name
    Aaron
    Real Name
    Aaron Phillips
    Thanks Given

Hmm. Not bad. Maybe we can do this when we go up there.

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    2021 Gladiator Diesel
    User Name
    Aaron
    Real Name
    Aaron Phillips
    Thanks Given

"It is the Buddhist Temple. Lots of hiking around up there on easy trails and the artwork of the temple and area is cool."

We drove by it but didn't stop...

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Thanks for the report, Aaron!

You could have made Kelly Flats with the bypasses, but wouldn't want to do it solo. We did Kelly Flats last year as the Ladies Run and had some stock rigs on it .Another trail in the area that is fun to do the next you are up that way is Sevenmile.

Last Online
    May 13th, 2019
    4x4
    '92 Range Rover
    User Name
    Funrover
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Thanks Given

Great pics, looks like Seven Mile is good to go now! Seems to be a lot of fawns out thise year! Thanks for sharing!

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    2021 Gladiator Diesel
    User Name
    Aaron
    Real Name
    Aaron Phillips
    Thanks Given

Brody previously posted:
    "Thanks for the report, Aaron!

You could have made Kelly Flats with the bypasses, but wouldn't want to do it solo. We did Kelly Flats last year as the Ladies Run and had some stock rigs on it .Another trail in the area that is fun to do the next you are up that way is Sevenmile."

Hey, after looking at the description of sevenmile, thats the one we did. Its FR 225. Very wet as you can see. a good part of the trail was a part of the stream, maybe a mile.

It was fun. My wife was VERY excited. She said, "That was awesome" " This is why we bought the Jeep" and many other quotables.

Last Online
    May 13th, 2019
    4x4
    '92 Range Rover
    User Name
    Funrover
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Thanks Given

"Hey, after looking at the description of sevenmile, thats the one we did. Its FR 225. Very wet as you can see. a good part of the trail was a part of the stream, maybe a mile.

It was fun. My wife was VERY excited. She said, "That was awesome" " This is why we bought the Jeep" and many other quotables."

I like Sevenmile, it's a fun, scenic and relaxing drive. That is actually where I took my sister for her first run with the X-Terra

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    2021 Gladiator Diesel
    User Name
    Aaron
    Real Name
    Aaron Phillips
    Thanks Given

I added Sevenmile Creek and Monument Gulch road to the trails section. Feel free to go and edit/augment whatever I have written there.

lmao Re: Poudre Canyon

ya seven mile is cool that road starts from the same road kelly flats ends id have to say kelly flats is the trail ive done the most i used to have an xj with 4.5" lift on 31s i did heart attack several times by my self that hill is very intimidating but the far left side isnt to bad at all i cant wait till july 11 its gonna be fun if we get done early enough who knows maybe well do 7 mile

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast