Thread: Drill Doctor Product Review

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Default Drill Doctor Product Review

We all know how products get all sorts of advertising hype...some work as advertised, many don't. Well, about a year ago, I picked up a Drill Doctor. I use and go through a large number of drill bits, both in construction and for my fab work. Due to the fact that I have a huge amount of bits, I have been procrastinating getting started sharpening them.

I finally decided to break this unit out yesterday and give it a whirl. After getting a little confused on the written directions and boogering a few bits, I decided to watch the provided video. Lo and behold, everything I was confused on became clear and I was able to sharpen bits...and I mean SHARPEN them...and to 'unbooger' the bits I initially messed up...

I used a piece of 1/4" steel and my drill press to test the sharpness of the "new" bits. On a standard 1/2" bit that was so dull that it would have a rough time going through butter, I was able to sharpen it in about one minute. Without drilling a pilot hole, I tested it out on the 1/4" steel. It was actually sharper than what it was when new and instead of the piecemeal curlycues of steel that I was getting on a brand new bit, I ended up with quite literally, a handful of them. It hiked through the 1/4" like nothing.

In a matter of roughly an hour, I was able to sharpen probably close to $300 or more of drill bits, many of them 3/8-9/16...the more expensive ones. Some of them I added the extra split point grind to. All of these were sharpened on the default setting of 118 degrees. You can change the angle of the grind to match the material, with settings up to 135 degrees. You can also sharpen masonry bits and various others. There is an additional attachment that allows you to sharpen up to 3/4" which I am planning on purchasing.

Since I like the split point self locating bits, I have a lot of these...many dull. You know the ones...they have the cute little extra point on the end of the bit. The real test for me was to sharpen these. The Drill Doctor will not sharpen these in the manufacturer's configuration and you have to 'massage' the tip off. I used a grinding wheel (subtle, I know) to get rid of the tip. Then I followed the instructions and put a nice grind on the 'new' bit. It worked fine and I got the same results as with the regular bits. I was careful to stick the bit it water as I ground the tip off to keep it from losing it's temper.

Anyway, for $100, if you have a bunch of drill bits that are dull, this is a most worthwhile investment, even though it looks like it was made by Mattel due to the amount of plastic used. I already made my $$ back and it just looks dusty.

Here is the link to BillaVista's write up on the same unit:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...lDr/index.html

My rating on this product:

Default Re: Drill Doctor Product Review

Interesting. I had bought one of those about 10 years ago and it was JUNK plastic crap and had concentric issues when trying to drill deep holes using my lathe. They didn't have a split point option back then either. I returned it.
    The shop I shared space in then spent well over $2000 for their sharpener and it worked awesome. I used it all the time, but now I'm out and would sure like something that worked.
    Guess it is time to reconsider the Drill Doctor.

I would split point everything given the opportunity.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Gecko Cycles previously posted:
    "Interesting. I had bought one of those about 10 years ago and it was JUNK plastic crap and had concentric issues when trying to drill deep holes using my lathe. They didn't have a split point option back then either. I returned it.
    The shop I shared space in then spent well over $2000 for their sharpener and it worked awesome. I used it all the time, but now I'm out and would sure like something that worked.
    Guess it is time to reconsider the Drill Doctor.

I would split point everything given the opportunity."

Sounds like the 'PRO' version is the one to get as it has the bigger bit option with it. Sine you can sharpen bits up to 3/4" (and we all love those!) with this option, I think it would be the better bet.

And granted, it does look like a cheap piece of plastic crap. I hate plastic...manufacturer's seem to think it can do anything...the only plastic crap I am really partial to is armored plastic...like they use for brass knuckle style stuff or knives...which doesn't register in the airport security monitors...Aside from that, this thing worked as advertised.

I have over 200 drill bits, probably 3/4 of which were DULL...I figured that I would get the basic tip on all of them first, then go back and 'split point' them all. With the 'production line' mentality I approached this with, it was a very mind numbing process...kinda like grouting a huge floor or finishing drywall...or jack hammering concrete...you kinda wish that you can push the 'temporary lobotomy' button to get through it..

LOL. That's a good one.

The expensive one I mentioned didn't require any refitting of the bit to do split point. You just tipped the holder after you ground the standard tip. It also had it's own wheel dressing method built in. You get what you paid for on that tool.

I really burned up my 1" bit last week. I need to cut at least 1/2" off it and start over or just go buy another Deming set but this is the only bit of that set that I toasted. Now I am 2 step drilling those holes and using a 1" end mill to get my final hole because the end mill I have left is not center cutting. Not very productive.

What really chaps my hide is cheap ass chucks that destroy the shanks if the drill slips.