Front Range 4x4 Upcoming Trail Runs - Add a New Trail Run

Thread: Exploring Apex Rd area Today!

Default Exploring Apex Rd area Today!

Me and a few people are going up into the Apex Rd. area for a day of exploring trails, I will post up pics when I get back!We are meeting up @ the Diamond Shamrock on Highway 58 and Washington St. in Golden @9am. I didn't post this earlier due to not knowing if I was going to make it or not.

Default Re: Exploring Apex Rd area Today!

Well had a fun day even tho it turned out to be an expensive one at that, I finally had to use my winch for my own truck for a change and it looks like I either burned up the windings or the brushes in the motor which over heated the motor and caught the wiring for my lights on the bumper on fire, then I knocked the alignment way outta whack which caused a typical 35-40 minute drive to become a 1-1/2 hour drive home and also ate up about an 1/8" of tire from the inside of both tires. and at one point stopped to check the vibration in the front end and when done the E brake didn't realse completely so that wore out my rear brakes.
    But other than all that we had fun ended up with 3 Rangers and 1 Cherokee all but mine were stock and they did great, we hit snow, ice and all made it over the rock wall on Pickle Gulch before I had to leave for home. I will get up some pics and vids later today.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Hey...you made it home...Must have been really rocky to have loosened stuff up like that! I hate the smell of burning electrical wiring or parts...seems to always lead to some real headache stuff!

Sounds like a fun run all the same...Give a shout if you need a hand. I have tomorrow pretty much free...

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Sorry to hear about the electrical, I hate that kind of stuff. It does sound like you had a good time otherwise, looking forward to the pics!

what happened to you to where you had to usr your winch and knock your alinngment out and the other stuff. glad to see you made it down safely.

I got it stuck in the snow and ice(didn't notice the tire tracks we was following wer from an ATV) and hit the rocks bit harder than I anticipated. The total damage ended up being more than I was hoping, I bent a knuckle and bent both inner tie rod links too and possibly one of the control arms, Had the dealer replace the worst inner link and get the alignment as close as possible since this is also my daily driver. The camber ended up being fully negative and adjusted it to full positive and it is still a bit out. Until I get a new puter I can't load any pics cause my employer has Photobucket blocked, hopefully I can pull the pics off the old hard drive once I get a new puter.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Sean

When you get your computer situation sorted out (or if you need help rebuilding or getting the old one to work) and are ready to move pictures and information from one hard drive to the other, give me a call or PM and I'll help.

Glad you got your rig road worthy again!

ive done the same thing with following av trails that i didnt know were atv trails and got stuck overr nite but luckily no damage

It makes it all exciting until you total up the cost of the damage and repairs needed, so now I am trying to decide which way to go A) fix the IFS which will maintain my warranty or B) put the money in to the HP Dana44 FS I have one hand and swap it this summer and I still need to get a 9" for the rear and both would require either 4:88s or 5:38s and lockers so I can put my 35s on which are just sitting there collecting dust.

You, my friend, are at the crossroads. Either decide to have the same thing happen to you in the future or beef it up and run the DANA44 now. If you had the DANA44 on the truck, do you think you would have: Gotten stuck; burned your winch and lights; tore up a tire or two; damaged steering arms, etc....? Beef it up!!!

I was at a point of spending at least $1000-2000 to fix my IFS, or spending $4000 to beef up the IFS, which still would not be as strong or off road performance-driven as a SFA. This would have cost me more than what I spent on the SAS, which is proving worth every penny thus far.

I did have to over extend my finances a bit, but was able to recoup 1/3 the cost from the items I removed and was able to secure a 1.9%APR until September to help cover the rest. I was able to pay the labor in cash, which is always appreciated by the installer if it isn't you.

It sounds like you already have most parts and accessories including the know-how and tools to do the install. It's a no-brainer. Don't waste your time and money. Cruise the IFS asap!

BTW: Sorry to hear about your trail trouble :( That's no fun.

1freaky1 previously posted:
    "It makes it all exciting until you total up the cost of the damage and repairs needed, so now I am trying to decide which way to go A) fix the IFS which will maintain my warranty or B) put the money in to the HP Dana44 FS I have one hand and swap it this summer and I still need to get a 9" for the rear and both would require either 4:88s or 5:38s and lockers so I can put my 35s on which are just sitting there collecting dust."

i hate the ifs on our dakota. not great for wheelin but nice on long trips

Ok I have some people tell me that there was no such thing as a Hi-Pinion Dana 44 HD so I did some research and there was one out there and it came with the D60 knuckles, so here are a couple pics of what I have and if anyone knows more about these let me know, Thanks.

This D44 came out of a 1970 Ford 100

Last Online
    May 13th, 2019
    4x4
    '92 Range Rover
    User Name
    Funrover
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Thanks Given

Man that axle looks like the 4WD set up from the 61 - 71 Dodge trucks! I will have to do a little searching.