4x4
    75 International Scout
    User Name
    scout man
    Real Name
    Steve
    Thanks Given

Default Re: scout build up

So it was a nice day today and I decided it would be a great day to start on a "small" project of stripping the interior out and Rhino Lining the whole thing. As usual this was not as easy as you would think. I started in the rear, pulled out the back seat, and started removing all the hardware... all of which was frozen in place. Next I pulled up all the rubber bed liner, which revealed a nice layer of insulation (asbestos??? I hope not!). Under that was a rubber coat, most of which was melted onto the floor. And under that revealed some nice patches of cancer rust, and a few holes. So I attacked the whole thing with a wire brush on a grinder and stripped it all down. Worked quite well actually. Below is a pic of Jon (Jonnyd49) grinding away on it. Nothing like a wrenching buddy that will grind your rust off for you! Thanks Jon! And there is a nice pic of the horrible insulation they used. Hopefully tomorrow will see the front stripped and the whole thing lined, we will see! There is also a pic that shows you my disaster of a garage, and why I need to sell one of my projects fast!

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Nice pictures!

The insulation looks like it has more fiberglass than anything else in it, BTW, and I do not think that asbestos was used in car insulation other than the under hood insulation. I don't think that they used it inside any rigs, but I could be wrong. Not a huge deal and not the deal that the EPA makes of it. People that had problems with asbestos usually worked in the asbestos factories or places where they were exposed to it 40 hours a week.

Kinda like the tests they do for all of the tests using rats...feed rats tin foil and nothing but tin foil, they are going to have problems with it and probably won't live long...

And your garage looks reasonably organized, too. Nothing to worry about for awhile....

Yeah, that was some nasty stuff.

I got to see the aftermath today and we started in on the roof and front. There are some rather large holes in the floorboards up front, and we got shut down by apartment management halfway through prepping the roof for paint. Defintely still some work to do, but its on its way. Steve and I are getting together on Tuesday to finish up the roof and such, since my place is a bit friendlier towards car work.

JH

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

You guys run into too much of that unfriendliness, shoot me a PM and maybe I can help out with a spot to do some work.

Last Online
    January 7th, 2020
    4x4
    75 International Scout
    User Name
    scout man
    Real Name
    Steve
    Thanks Given

Started in on fixing my rust holes in my floorboard today. A big thanks to 1Freaky1 for helping out with this. Finished the front two today and still have the back two to finish. Turned out being a way larger project than expected. I will post some pics after its all done... don't feel like shrinking and what-not tonight...

Last Online
    January 7th, 2020
    4x4
    75 International Scout
    User Name
    scout man
    Real Name
    Steve
    Thanks Given

Oh, and I forgot to mention the I discovered today that two of my body mounts are completely rusted out... that should make the body lift a lot of fun.

Last Online
    May 13th, 2019
    4x4
    '92 Range Rover
    User Name
    Funrover
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Thanks Given

Ah the joy of classic rigs

our scout is almost like the wonder women plane on the old cartoon its almost see threw with all the rust. where putting on the soft top but you need rails where the hard top sits on to anchor the sides of the soft top and ours are rusted right threw 1/2 the lenght of the bed. luckiyly the scout came with some daimond bed caps off a pick up and cut to size to fit the scout and thats our new top of bed.

have you taken the top off? if not yours might be rusted in the channels or missing like ours

scout man previously posted:
    "Started in on fixing my rust holes in my floorboard today. A big thanks to 1Freaky1 for helping out with this. Finished the front two today and still have the back two to finish. Turned out being a way larger project than expected. I will post some pics after its all done... don't feel like shrinking and what-not tonight..."

Your are quite welcome, just glad to help you out with it! One of the days if you cannot find replacement body mounts for it I can make you up a set. But to put them in right it will take us more than a day to do it right with all the prep work.

Funrover previously posted:
    "Ah the joy of classic rigs"

Yeah they take certain type of love to keep them going. I know I would still rather keep my old rides rather than have the new ones, SO much easier to work on and more room to do it too!

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

When I got the 69 Bronco, I forgot to look at the floor boards. I looked at all the mechanical stuff, but really not much at all on the body panels. Well, I decided to take the carpet out and do the Rhino lining/clean up business and when I did, removed about 1/2 the flooring, making a couple hour project into a two day affair....Sounds like you guys have run into the same stuff.

Sean does some sweet sheet metal work....

Last Online
    January 7th, 2020
    4x4
    75 International Scout
    User Name
    scout man
    Real Name
    Steve
    Thanks Given

cowboyjarman previously posted:
    "have you taken the top off? if not yours might be rusted in the channels or missing like ours"

Actually had it off for the first time the other day. I was pretty happy with it. I think the rear of the passenger side rail was rusted out, but there was at least some integrity to the rest of the rails. I had thought about the bed rails also... possibly just bolt them in through the original bolt holes for the roof. That is, of course, if you are going completely topless, probably doesnt apply to a soft top. I'd love to come check out that soft top sometime, as it is on the list somewhere down the road... but probably a long ways down the road.

Glad we got that finished up for you today, hopefully you will get the rest done this week and meet your goal with lining it, also it would not hurt to clean around the new metal from the bottom side and coat it too

Last Online
    January 7th, 2020
    4x4
    75 International Scout
    User Name
    scout man
    Real Name
    Steve
    Thanks Given

So I have finally have my lining project done. AND, I managed to get to pics to post! So here is one before and after, more to come when I get it to work. I Herculined the entire tub, and used some spray rubber to coat the roof (clearly not visible in these pics) Note the nice metal patching work on the floor that Sean did for me... and also a thanks to Josh for letting me do all this work in his driveway. I am really happy with how the tub turned out, and ok with the roof. 4 out of the 9 cans of rubber stuff for the roof were absolute crap and got returned to the store, which resulted in some splotchy results, and still a few kinda bare spots, but I will get to them someday. I also picked up some 35" procomp tires the other day in preparation for my springover, as well as pulled a front shaft out of an 86 Waggy to replace my stock shaft. Well, I got all except the transfer case yolk... dang thing just would not come out. So I will have to buy an end for that, assuming that I can not use my stock end for the new shaft. We will see. Anyways, only worked 4 hours this week at the day job, which sucks, but I probably spent a good 32 hours on the scout this week, which is great! Anyways, Ill work on the picture thing, because there are still some good ones to come...

Last Online
    January 7th, 2020
    4x4
    75 International Scout
    User Name
    scout man
    Real Name
    Steve
    Thanks Given

Alright, here is one more before and after, and the final product...

Good fun the last couple days. Lots of paint fumes and flying particulate of unknown origin.

Steve posted some before and after, but I have some during pics. Herculiner doesn't dry very fast, especially on a sub 60 degree day with no sun. Steve ended up taking my Subaru home for dinner and came back later that night, in hopes that when he got there it would be dry enough to drive.

Needless to say, it was still tacky but not so bad that he couldn't throw the drivers seat in and take it home to dry the rest of the way. Here are a few pics of installing the seat that night:

As you can see, Steve has a thing for automotive sodomy. The funniest (and likely most painful) part was that right before he tried this, he tried it without the big plastic condom, and managed to glue his arm to floor on the still slightly sticky bed liner. I was under the car trying to line the holes up, and all I heard was a groaning noise and slight tearing noise to follow it. Needless to say, I think Steve has given a part of himself into this car, even if it is only a few chunks of skin and arm hair.

The rig looks a ton better, and should offer a more power washer friendly and durable function.

JH

daayyyuuumm that liner paint looks awesome!!! i need to do that to the bed on my rig! (ill pay ya good since your arms are already nasty) HAHAHAHA

looks good i like where you put your CB is it in a vent? i hate to see how bad my floors are if i pull up the mat

Steve that turned out looking pretty good. Will definitely make it a lot easier to wash out.

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast