Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: A/C Compressor to Onboard Air

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

I have run a bunch of York compressors and didn't use any kind of an oil drip or oil separator. There is a plate with four bolts on the top of most Yorks that allow you to take it off and fill it with AC oil. The Yorks are stout units and I think I only added oil to one York in my life after filling it one time. I have had Yorks set up for air sources on 10 or more rigs, too. The Yota one is the only whiner when it comes to REALLY needing oil.

There are better and more clearer diagrams out there. This one seems a bit overly complicated, so I can see why you have questions. I will get you where you want to be, but, like I said, there are better diagrams. My Yota system, as well as Chris' on his FJ60 were really simple affairs, much like I described.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

No diagram, but here is a quick and dirty with parts list:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wa...j62-c-oba.html

Last Online
    July 27th, 2021
    4x4
    '85 Toyota 4runner - Speed Racer
    User Name
    4runner freak
    Real Name
    Danny
    Thanks Given

Brody previously posted:
    "No diagram, but here is a quick and dirty with parts list:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wa...j62-c-oba.html"

Here is Chris' OBA thread here on FR4x4
    http://frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4145

and a parts list with links to Granger and Drillspot
    http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/...6760#post26760

Last Online
    January 7th, 2020
    4x4
    75 International Scout
    User Name
    scout man
    Real Name
    Steve
    Thanks Given

that "oil drip" would be the oil seperator in my best guess. Pete is right, no need for an oiler in a york, but you do on your yota. I DO run a filter after my york to seperate the oil back out. This should also pull water out of the line. Now, I dont think mine is working, as I have never drained anything out of the filter, and the tank seems to be full, but thats another story. Now to go weld a drain bung into the tanks...

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Actually the "oil drip" is just that. It is built the same way as an oil separator, and looks the same at first glance, but is designed to hold AC oil (or other oil, I imagine) and has a drip regulator adjustment on the top where you can adjust the drip rate, usually in the form of an Allen Head screw. Turn it out, more drips, turn it in , less. I had never run into this until I did my first Yota AC conversion a number of years ago as all of my other conversions have been based around the York. This includes an 80 Yota pick up that I stuck a fuel injected 302 and C4, but that was cheating.....

Last Online
    January 7th, 2020
    4x4
    75 International Scout
    User Name
    scout man
    Real Name
    Steve
    Thanks Given

no pete, if you look at the picture he posted, the "oiler" is what you are calling an oil drip. What is labelled as an "oil drip" appears AFTER the compressor. I dont know of any reason you would be adding oil into the line after the compressor, so all I can figure is that they meant to label it as a seperator.

This is what got me confused. its called a drip and its after the compressor. but in the parts list for Chris's vehicle( at the beggining of this thread) there is an inline filter (seperate from the input/air filter), and im kinda seeing it as a "oil type" air filter on some peoples input to the engine (K&N type cone thingy on my truck). maybe it oils the filter and helps keep out dirt/dust in the line before it goes through the manifold to the tank or some other output.
    with ALOT of discussion with Brody through PM or Email (thank you again Brody- youve been a Peac........ a big help i mean.) we came up with the idea of if im worried about it then put it in- if not dont worry about it. ive been told by a couple of people through different forums that do not run it (seperator) they havent really had any issues. both with blowing off their dashes (no oil spots) or with refilling tires (slippery beads).

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

You are right, Steve. Teach me to look at the pictures....

My "oil drip" is on the intake side of my compressor and the separator is on the output, just before the manifold. I sent Thomas a few shots of mine to clear it up a few days ago, so it never dawned on me to look at Chris' link, especially since I set that up with him...Hell...I know what goes where...usually...

Last Online
    January 7th, 2020
    4x4
    75 International Scout
    User Name
    scout man
    Real Name
    Steve
    Thanks Given

4finger previously posted:
    "This is what got me confused. its called a drip and its after the compressor. but in the parts list for Chris's vehicle( at the beggining of this thread) there is an inline filter (seperate from the input/air filter), and im kinda seeing it as a "oil type" air filter on some peoples input to the engine (K&N type cone thingy on my truck). maybe it oils the filter and helps keep out dirt/dust in the line before it goes through the manifold to the tank or some other output."

you still sound confused to me. As far as oil goes for the compressor, there are only 2 devices needed. One is the oil drip, which is on the intake side between the filter (normal dry filter) and the compressor. The other is the seperator, which is inline AFTER the compressor and then takes the oil back out again. That is all there is. No oiled filters or anything needed.

Brody previously posted:
    "My "oil drip" is on the intake side of my compressor and the separator is on the output, just before the manifold. I sent Thomas a few shots of mine to clear it up a few days ago, so it never dawned on me to look at Chris' link, especially since I set that up with him...Hell...I know what goes where...usually..."

and thats how it should be, and thats how mine is, minus the oiler of course since mine is a york.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234