June 13th, 2018
    4x4
    05 Land Rover LR3, 01 Discovery
    User Name
    Brad
    Real Name
    Brad
    Thanks Given

I am planning a OBA system utilizing 2 Audi Allroad air pumps and one of the tanks Pete mentioned.

BTW. Pete, one of these days we need to gtg and go over how to plumb and where to mount this set up on the Rover.
    Will need your expertise again.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Sure, Brad, no problem. Try to find a place where you can mount a tank, then the right sized tank and the rest will fall into place. The tank placement is kind crucial as that takes up the most room.

Last Online
    June 13th, 2018
    4x4
    User Name
    Brad
    Real Name
    Brad
    Thanks Given

What size tank do you recommend? I was thinking the double barrel size is optimum but may not have enough room for one that big.
    I will put it in the air and take some pics.

Last Online
    January 7th, 2020
    4x4
    75 International Scout
    User Name
    scout man
    Real Name
    Steve
    Thanks Given

Brody previously posted:
    "adapt the other line (hose to hose works better than trying to fine the right fittings)"

i fully agree with this/

Brody previously posted:
    "A non adjustable one will cut off at 80psi, whereas an adjustable one you can set up to about 120psi."

an 80psi non adjustable will cut off at 80 psi, but they make a lot of versions of this. a 120 psi non adjustable will cut off at 120. 80 IMO is a bit low. You end up limiting yourself a bit.

Brody previously posted:
    "There is an outfit that works on small compressors here in town and they trash the tanks and pretty much anything attached to them. You can pick up a tank with all the fittings and sometimes a pressure switch for around $10. I am sure there are compressor repair places near you that do the same thing."

I forgot. At last years anniversary run I won a free tank coupon from them. SInce I already had a tank, I have not used it. Free to anyone who wants it!!

ColoDisco previously posted:
    "What size tank do you recommend? I was thinking the double barrel size is optimum but may not have enough room for one that big.
    I will put it in the air and take some pics."

this depends entirely on where you put it and how much room you have! I run a 2 barrel tank, with 2-2.5 gallon tanks. Works great for my use, and fit great into the space that I had. You could even seperate these and run them in 2 different spots if you needed too, or whatever works best for your rig!!

scout man previously posted:
    "I forgot. At last years anniversary run I won a free tank coupon from them. SInce I already had a tank, I have not used it. Free to anyone who wants it!!"

lemme be the first noob to be the scrounge. what kinda "free tank" are you talking about. if its one that can be mounted in the truck of mine (like a 2 1/2 gallon cylinder one mentioned before) and can be used/delivered to Junction (the tank itself) i would like to be all over it. PM me info and ill take a look into it. THANK YOU

im thinking of mounting a tank between the frame rails in the back of my truck. kinda the normal place to put a tank on the yotas. if its small enough to fit in what campartment area i have leftin the back ill take it also.

Last Online
    January 7th, 2020
    4x4
    75 International Scout
    User Name
    scout man
    Real Name
    Steve
    Thanks Given

what I have is a coupon to go pick through their compressor junk yard and pick the one you want. You would have to go pick your own, and it depends on what they happen to have available that day.

Last Online
    June 13th, 2018
    4x4
    User Name
    Brad
    Real Name
    Brad
    Thanks Given

I may pick one up pretty soon as I want to have mine done before moab. I can take some pics of what they have and post them up if you like Thomas!

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

This reminded me I have a compressor I pickef up from Sean sitting in my garage that I need to look in to using on my new truck. I sure wish the search here was better so I could find his post so I knew what I have!

scout man previously posted:
    "what I have is a coupon to go pick through their compressor junk yard and pick the one you want. You would have to go pick your own, and it depends on what they happen to have available that day."

"I can take some pics of what they have and post them up if you like Thomas!"

aahhh ok. i have no plans on being out that way or even having some of my buddies out that way any time soon. so id rather that coupon go to someone who could use it and is closer. thank you very much for the opportunity. both of you guys. i like this community over here- if this was pirate, id be on page 56 of a bunch of guys telling to go *&^$ myself. and in many different ways.

Im about to go through the link above that Brody gave me. i was wondering if anyone knew off hand what brand or model or whatever the A/C compressor is on a toyota 3.4L engine?????

i can go look for it but i was looking to see if there was a quick answer. (i dont mind doing hard work- but i will take quickies too....Insert giant cheezy grin emoticon here.)

Last Online
    June 13th, 2018
    4x4
    User Name
    Brad
    Real Name
    Brad
    Thanks Given

They are not that expensive, would probably cost me more to meet up to get the coupon rather than just buy one.

I pretty much just stick to this forum for 4 wheeling in CO. Have read plenty of the others and decided this one is more
    for me. More like family.

"I pretty much just stick to this forum for 4 wheeling in CO"

i think thats what i will do too. i use CO4x4 and Lunatic4X4 for colrado. Lunatic has more Leftern slope guys on it but everyone is friends so they just make phone calls to each other, so that forum is usually dead.

nicer than Pirate and closer than Marlin so......

hey brody i read on your link that a yota conversion/installation is just like a york AND YOU NEED TO ADD AN OILER. i saw this link at the bottom and it said york and jeep and was wondering--- can i use this one????? it has an oiler in the diagram also. i looked i have a denso(???) A/C in the truck. this diagram "looks" like the pictures in Chris' installation so im thinking ill be ok. just wanna get a few other's suggestions and what not. every one chime in. i know its a noob question. im trying to get all of those out so i dont have them building up inside

Last Online
    January 7th, 2020
    4x4
    75 International Scout
    User Name
    scout man
    Real Name
    Steve
    Thanks Given

CHris ran an oiler with his, so my guess is you will need to as well. To the best of my knowledge the york is the only compressor that has its own oil reservoir. Even at that, I still need to add oil from time to time (although shockingly rarely)

im getting the oiler part. i guess when it comes to that im worried of hooking this all up and doing a test run and melting things cause i didnt have the oiler set right. i see it that the input comes from a filter left out in the engine bay. that piece marked "oil drip" is just an oil seperator right? (just verifying my thoughts). does it need to be a certain temperature rating? so the oil or air going through doesnt melt the internals. whats the drain like on a seperator? just flow onto the ground or is it like on a semi air tank-- push button drain air? or do i need to get one that seperates it then feeds it back? or is that something i can do as i see and is not a certain one to make this work. the manifolds thing i can just buy one that has 1 input and at a few ouptuts (for the rest of the parts)----- id like to talk about the safety valve. thats on of those things that are like ona compressor that has a little ring on it that you pull out to realese the air whenyou done- (its also set to a pressure to do a little blow out when it reaches limit)?????

"I may pick one up pretty soon as I want to have mine done before moab"

If you get it done bfore your moab trip and im not done with mine would you be willing to stop for lunch in Junction and let me ogle your setup? PPPPPLLLLLLELEEEEEEAAAAAAASSSSEEEEE

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

4runner freak previously posted:
    "Speedaire 4ZL57 Miniature Micromist Lubricator"

That's the oiler, set it full open for testing and IIRC that's where it should stay.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

im getting the oiler part. i guess when it comes to that im worried of hooking this all up and doing a test run and melting things cause i didnt have the oiler set right.

Most of the oilers have an adjustment on them that allows you to set the drip rate. I have mine set so that it drips about once a second.

i see it that the input comes from a filter left out in the engine bay.

Yeah, one of those cheapo little valve cover air cleaners works really well.

that piece marked "oil drip" is just an oil seperator right? (just verifying my thoughts)

Should just be a part of the inline oiler as it has a drip setting.

does it need to be a certain temperature rating? so the oil or air going through doesnt melt the internals.

I have just used mid grade AC oil that I get at NAPA and it works fine.

whats the drain like on a seperator? just flow onto the ground or is it like on a semi air tank-- push button drain air? or do i need to get one that seperates it then feeds it back? or is that something i can do as i see and is not a certain one to make this work.

I think you are making this more complicated than needed. You have an inlet and an outlet line on your AC. Run a line to the filter with the oiler in that line. No need to do anything else except set the drip rate. These Yota units need oil. The outlet line goes to the manifold where you can plumb to your heart's content.

the manifolds thing i can just buy one that has 1 input and at a few ouptuts (for the rest of the parts)-----

Watch where you buy these as you can find them for under $20 or over $40 and they are the same thing.

id like to talk about the safety valve. thats on of those things that are like ona compressor that has a little ring on it that you pull out to realese the air whenyou done- (its also set to a pressure to do a little blow out when it reaches limit)?????

Correct. Probably not an essential piece, but it is nice to know that other stuff isn't going to go if you space leaving the compressor running. An idiot light to the switch isn't a bad idea. I actually have an idiot light I am installing in mine very soon. Just a junk small trailer light that will turn on when the switch is on.

got it. and its on my list as soon as i feel confident enough to start this. that piece goes inline between the input/air filter and the input of the A/C compressor. im also wondering what the piece called "oil drip" is in the diagram. im wondering if that is supposed to be a seperator. the piece on the output line of the compressor before it goes into the manifolds. im asuming so, so you dont put oil in your tires or tank or whatever you use it for.

Brody previously posted:
    "I think you are making this more complicated than needed."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, you know me very well- are yousure we havent met. as i typed that i thought " these guys are gonna laugh at you mister over thinker.

another thing brody---- this is an ok diagram to use right? this one has better pictures (haha they see how you roll now thomas)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast