Front Range 4x4 Upcoming Trail Runs - Add a New Trail Run

View Poll Results: Who will be joining me on this trip?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

1 14.29%
  • no

3 42.86%
  • maybe

0 0%
  • will know closer to june 5th

3 42.86%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MOAB TRIP

Default MOAB TRIP

Hi all, i know im new but i want to jump in and get dirty and by doing so i am planning a trip to moab this summer. The dates are not set but i do know i want to plan between mid april to mid july. It will be upwards of 5 days, 2 weekend days and 3-4 weekdays. Head out friday afternoon, hit a hotel the first night and camp out in the middle of nowhere the rest of the week. Of course stopping in town if needed. I am mostly going to do easy/ beginner trails such as chicken corners, secret spire basically for me to start difficulty level 0 to 2.5 3 max. As i dont know the area i am taking it on the smart side and start simple. I just want to get out and away and enjoy good times nice scenery and good people. Most of all have fun. I will have all the gear i need and prepared for the unknown. I have invited other friends not on the forums here and no takers yet. I know its a ways out but rather get this set in stone than say Oh hey last minute thing for such a big trip.

I plan to finalize the date no later than march 31st.

Any takers?

Randy

update, my empty seat is taken. I have added a poll on here to get an idea of who will be going/ not going/ not sure yet.

Last Online
    May 13th, 2019
    4x4
    '92 Range Rover
    User Name
    Funrover
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Thanks Given

Default Re: MOAB TRIP

I dream on Moab....but I can't go this summer sadly

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

I plan on hitting Moab a couple times this summer, made it 3 times last year so I'll see how things develop with this. Check out the thread about the Easter Jeep Safari because it has some dates to avoid due to events going on there.

Last Online
    August 19th, 2014
    4x4
    2007 FJ Cruiser
    User Name
    Pathrat
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks Given

Hi there. Like Chris, I go to Moab a few times every year (ok, as often as I can) between March and September. My schedule is stupid this year but please post up when you go. Even if I can't do the five days, it would be fun to hook up for a trail. Secret Spire has some nice scenery.

Pathrat previously posted:
    "Hi there. Like Chris, I go to Moab a few times every year (ok, as often as I can) between March and September. My schedule is stupid this year but please post up when you go. Even if I can't do the five days, it would be fun to hook up for a trail. Secret Spire has some nice scenery."

most definitely! it more then likely is going to be towards junish... give everyone plenty of time to prep. and save money for the trip.

haventb been since the olympics need to get back

Duly noted but heat doesnt bother me i think i will be ok. ill have plenty of water

thank you though!

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

I was there in July last year, temps stayed over 100 the whole time. Fortunately we headed south to the Henry Mtns and cooled down at altitude.

Last Online
    August 19th, 2014
    4x4
    2007 FJ Cruiser
    User Name
    Pathrat
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks Given

I have done early June, mid to high 90s, late June, 100s...you just have to expect heat. I don't mind it too much.

so looks like i have a taker for the right seat, a friend of mine. I am thinking of doing the trip leaving out friday afternoon june 5th. stay the night in a hotel that night then go out and enjoy the sights the rest of the week! Let me know if june 5th will work everyone...

Randy

Ok so i have set a date, june 5th leave out that afternoon. Return probably that following thursday. I have set my vacation for this as well. But before then i will be able to do some local trails with everyone so im not a stranger... :P

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

I'm hoping I can do this - probably just myself but school will be out and I'll be free of my "job"

Chris previously posted:
    "I'm hoping I can do this - probably just myself but school will be out and I'll be free of my "job" "

hey even if its you and i, it will still be fun. I would rather not go on my own...lol My roomie is still planning on going.

Last Online
    January 7th, 2020
    4x4
    75 International Scout
    User Name
    scout man
    Real Name
    Steve
    Thanks Given

I would be interested if I can swing it... with my line of work I never know till really close to the time though, so I will let you know down the road!

Last Online
    August 19th, 2014
    4x4
    2007 FJ Cruiser
    User Name
    Pathrat
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks Given

That sounds like a good weekend to go. I have in penciled on the calender and it depends on what the kids are doing too. I anticipate that if we go, we will be heading down Friday after work and camping late on the road to Top of the World, just about a half mile up (I think) from Dewey Bridge. If we get to go, I'll hook up with you on where to meet and what trails.

Pathrat previously posted:
    "That sounds like a good weekend to go. I have in penciled on the calender and it depends on what the kids are doing too. I anticipate that if we go, we will be heading down Friday after work and camping late on the road to Top of the World, just about a half mile up (I think) from Dewey Bridge. If we get to go, I'll hook up with you on where to meet and what trails."

So i dont know where that is but that saturday we all can meet in town get any last minute things or groceries, get everyone together and figure out a trail scheme aside from what i picked for my capabilities and go from there. Just to reiterate, my friend and I have no rock crawling experience, nor the vehicles to do extreme crawling. I invited him as he wanted to get out of the house, but i am wanting to learn the sport. I will go on any trail that is suited for a full size, im not skerred of it in fact i would like to know what my truck can do. Other than that it will be mostly level 1-2.5 trails for me and my roomie.

If anyone wants to lead or give diretions and i will lead by all means feel free, i have a list of trails that i was thinking i can do. And please if i am over my head with what i have dont hesitate to correct me Bottom line i want to be safe and have fun at the same time. I will also have a cb onboard so communications wont be a problem. Anyone else run cb's?

Randy

Last Online
    August 19th, 2014
    4x4
    2007 FJ Cruiser
    User Name
    Pathrat
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks Given

I have done a fair number of easy and moderate trails. The FJC is my first rig and I am still learning. I won't take you to Poison Spider if we make it! Top of the World, Picture Frame Arch, Gemini Bridges, and a few other starters. Top of the World is one I would suggest after you have done a few easier trails in Moab just to acclimate yourself to the terrain and get a better idea of what your truck does out there. It is different, and actually I prefer that terrain to all others. Do you have the Wells Moab book? Look at some trails there or on traildamage.com and if you find something that interests you, PM me and I will tell you if I have been on it and give you some direction if I can on what it is really like, with a full-size in mind.

Thank you very much! No i dont have that book but i was going to get learning material as soon as i get back to be prepared. I will get in touch with you about some trails

Last Online
    January 7th, 2020
    4x4
    75 International Scout
    User Name
    scout man
    Real Name
    Steve
    Thanks Given

I do run a CB, although it may not be fully functional at the moment, but I would make sure it is by then!

I'll chime in a few suggestions from my Moab experiences. Some really cheap and scenic camping is in the Sand Flats Recreation Area, which is only a few minutes east of town. There is 124 primative camping spots available at a first come/first serve basis and costs only $10/night. Be sure to bring some firewood! Fins N Things is an excellent first timer trail and is located in the same area. Hell's Revenge is also a good trail in the area but requires a fair amount of ground cleareance to make the entire loop.

I recommend have a game plan with your camping/trail options before you head out but I'm not really a "wing it" kind of guy.

Trust me, you will love the area and will want to go back year after year.

Doug

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast