Front Range 4x4 Upcoming Trail Runs - Add a New Trail Run

Thread: Florida Mud and Trail transplant

Default Florida Mud and Trail transplant

Good day all, Ive lived in colorado for 3 years now and love it. I am finally able to move forward in doing more offroad time and am looking for people to trail with. I drive a 2001 dodge ram 2500 diesel 4x4 of course, i am actually prepping it for a MOAB trip this summer. Seeing its a longbed extended cab it isnt a crawler but it is capable of allot. My previous truck was a 01 1500 5.9L but always wanted a Diesel. I am 32 yo mature and knowledgeable. Ive been turning wrenches since i was a child and enjoy it. (just no garage yet)

I am looking for anyone who wants to do trail runs that a full size truck can tackle, and to go on crawls as well and watch. Someday i plan to build a custom rig.

Randy

:wave:

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Florida Mud and Trail transplant

Welcome Randy!

Florida's mud can't compare to Colorado rocks! I bet you've already found that out! It's nice to have another fullsize truck here, you'll find others not afraid to wheel a big truck! Take a look at the China Wall/Recovery workshop to see another recent member.

You've found a great group to wheel with that will help you find the right trails, spot you when you need it and help you learn about the differences between mud & rock.

I know I speak for other when I say that I look forward to meeting you on a run before too long!

Chris previously posted:
    "Welcome Randy!

Florida's mud can't compare to Colorado rocks! I bet you've already found that out! It's nice to have another fullsize truck here, you'll find others not afraid to wheel a big truck! Take a look at the China Wall/Recovery workshop to see another recent member.

You've found a great group to wheel with that will help you find the right trails, spot you when you need it and help you learn about the differences between mud & rock.

I know I speak for other when I say that I look forward to meeting you on a run before too long!

"

Hi there, and thanks! yeah the mud is about all we have down there and sand... not to mention 2 miles of beach left to drive on.. but my truck is my daily driver for now but im not afraid to take it out and flex it to its limit. I just dont want to end up not being able to drive it home... TAXI!!!

Probably next year i am going to hand build a rig or modify something and tow it out there. But for now i can do most anything except crawl rocks (length issues) i can take it on slickrock and such that will allow me clearance.

And yes i look forward to meeting people and having fun! Its a new year and im ready!

Last Online
    May 13th, 2019
    4x4
    '92 Range Rover
    User Name
    Funrover
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Thanks Given

Welcome! Wheeling the Full Size is fun and there are a lot of great trails you can do with it. Many of the passes are easily done (Tin Cup would be fun)! Look forward to pics of the rig! And great choice with the Cummins... Gotta love those diesels!

Funrover previously posted:
    "Welcome! Wheeling the Full Size is fun and there are a lot of great trails you can do with it. Many of the passes are easily done (Tin Cup would be fun)! Look forward to pics of the rig! And great choice with the Cummins... Gotta love those diesels!"

Thanks and yes i do want to strech his legs (trucks name is brutus) HAHAHAH

i am off for 2 weeks to fresno but when i get back i and going to put new skins on the rims (super swamper ssr's 305x70x16), tiregate, trackbar, a new cb, recovery gear minus wench (i am going to get this with a wench bumper towards end of year) also i need to put lockers in it. plus all the needed offroad gear that goes with the sport.

$$$$$

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Hey! Welcome to the site! I am a Florida transplant myself, but moved here about 39 years ago. I heard that Florida was running out of public beaches.....Waht part are you from? I hail from Winter Haven, which had 17,000 people when I left..Heard that that has grown a bit, too, and might actually be a part of Orlando now....

Looking forward to meeting you and doing some wheeling.

You might talk to some guys with buggies when you see them and see if the disadvantages of having a 'do anything/go anywhere' buggy outwiegh the advantages of having something you can actually drive to and from the trails. Many people I know that have bought or built purpose built buggies have now gone back to just a built rig that they can drive to and from....

this was my old rig, just imagine the new one as silver and sittin a bit higher.

Welcome to Front Range 4x4 Randy!!! A full size diesel, sweet!!! I'm an East coaster too, but I was way way way North of Florida

Last Online
    August 19th, 2014
    4x4
    2007 FJ Cruiser
    User Name
    Pathrat
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks Given

Hey there and Welcome!

I posted on your Moab thread and would also suggest Picture Frame Arch trail. It isn't difficult, lots of small steps, wide, great for a long-wheel base and scenic. It might be too easy for you if you are looking for a challenge but still a good one.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

That looks the same as Chris' rig...and his is silver, too. His is a 2001 with the straight Dana 44 in it. I am going to be doing rock rails for it soon and he is putting locker and gears in in a few months...He had his out with us on China Wall and it did great! Cool seeing full size rigs on the trail. My last one was a 77 F150 short bed with 8" lift, 38s, and lockersx2. There are some pictures in my album, but it is turtled and totaled in the pics...

DEEZLPWR previously posted:
    "this was my old rig, just imagine the new one as silver and sittin a bit higher."

i imagine........... oh yeah its in your avatar now

Members who have read this thread: 1