4x4
    97 Dodge Ram 1500
    User Name
    KnuckleHead
    Real Name
    Happy
    Thanks Given

Default Re: My gift from Santa

Well I got a motor and will be picking it up on Friday. It's used ofcourse and has a 30 day warrenty. I will be putting it in this weekend, so wish me luck. Thanks to all that have been keeping an eye out for me. I will keep all posted on what happens.....

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

Just as an FYI, I got REALLY PO'd with a local junkyard over a motor. It had a 30 day warranty. I kept the core for longer than the 30 days to make sure I didn't need any accessory parts off the core. There was nothing at the location or on the receipt saying that I had to return the core within the 30 days too. I had paid cash. Big mistake. I would have disputed the credit card payment.

Pay for this with a credit card to protect yourself. Also, ask for when the core must be returned. IF it is a bit more than the 30 days, ask for it in writing. Just FYI to everyone else.

Hope the swap goes smooth. Let us know if you need any tips/advice! Also, plan on new clutch disc at minimum while you are in there. Also a rear main is a good idea. Cheap insurance!

EDIT: I just had a flash of genius! You have another core already, right? One with bullet holes and such?

Last Online
    January 21st, 2018
    4x4
    97 Dodge Ram 1500
    User Name
    KnuckleHead
    Real Name
    Happy
    Thanks Given

The place I went to doesn't do cores so I got lucky there, or yes they would have gottn a core with a bullet hole. I am planning on taking everything I can off of the old motor for spares.
    Luck has me again, the clutch on the new motor is farily new so I think I'm going to save some money for now and use it. I know my old clucth is about half so I have it if I need it.
    Now onto the "new", to me, motor. They had a busy day on Friday I guess so they didn't get it pulled. Saterdat they called and tried telling me that it might not be till Monday. That I wasn't haveing, so I told them get it today or I'll take my money somewhere else, 2 hours later I have my motor. By the time I got it home it was dark so I parked it and started this morning. It took a min to get it stabed with the trans but went smothe after that. It rotates nicely without any leaks or abnormal sounds, thats a good thing. The only problem I 'm haveing now is getting it to fire. I've almost got it but killed the battery. So I've stopped for the night to let it charge, I'll get back at it after work tomarrow. All in all it's looking good.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Aren't you up by me somewhere? I am off of 62 and Wadsworth...Holler if you need a hand and I'll see if I can get over there to help..Work schedule is a little screwy at the moment, but I would be happy to help, if it works out.

303-507-3066

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

Ditto. I have some free time today and can usually get a motor to run. Ask Danny. I am the Timing Master

Last Online
    January 21st, 2018
    4x4
    97 Dodge Ram 1500
    User Name
    KnuckleHead
    Real Name
    Happy
    Thanks Given

Sorry its been awhile, work has kept me busy, good thing these days.
    Brody, I'm not really sure I live your way?, I'm in Aurora off of Peoria and Colfax.
    I would like to thank you guys for your offers and help with this. With work keeping me occupied I have not worked on the truck. With the break for it I got my mind to slow down and think alittle. I went out today and re-timed, changed the plugs and wires. So far its look really good. The idle is up to normal and the slight ticking is gone. Now for the real test, I'll be out and about this weekend to see how it all goes. I will let you know Sunday how it turns out.
    Again thank you for all your support, help, and offers.

Last Online
    January 21st, 2018
    4x4
    97 Dodge Ram 1500
    User Name
    KnuckleHead
    Real Name
    Happy
    Thanks Given

Well it looks like I'm back on the road. I've had the truck out all weekend and 2 days sofar this week without any problems. Could use a few little adjustments but other than that I'm back in the game....

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Good to hear!

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Good to hear!

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

That has to be a huge relief! Now you are lucky enough to have a pair of quality engine cores!

85fsbronco previously posted:
    "So there I was on my way home from the Christmas Eve party with the family when it happens. I'm on I-76 just past 120th when I hear some knocking, so I turn the radio down and at that moment a loud baaannnggg. The truck loses some power and starts shakeing really bad. I pull off the side and the truck stalls out. I pop the hood to find smoke comeing from the drivers side of the motor, OIL. It's about 11pm so I get a pull home and check today. At the bottom of the pic in the middle you will see a good size hole, yes thats in the block. looks like it blew a rod right out the side. So it looks like I'll be out for awhile till I get another motor or new truck."

That is exactly what happened to mine a month after I bought the damn thing

Throwin a rod is never fun

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Yo Jeepkid

You still have the 258ci Jeep engine or was it something else? And how new (year) is your Jeep? Is it still carbed or is it injected?

Either way, you shouldn't be out too damn much for a motor. Jeep made about a billion of these thing. Finding a good used one at a yard shouldn't be a problem.

Let us know and we will help you start to look. Probably get some help with the install here, too..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12