1985 4Runner
    User Name
    4Runninfun
    Real Name
    Jon
    Thanks Given

Default 4RunninFun engine re-do

Jamie previously posted:
    "I think a good one would be preventative maintenace of your rig.
    Pre trip inspections of your rig save most trail damage from ever happening."

awww c'mon you're not really wheeling unless you break something right?

seriously though i think thats a good idea as well, i'm sure there are a few things i overlook that i should pay more attention too. on a similar note though anyone who wants to see how an engine is put back together i'm going to be putting mine back together shortly:jiggy"

Default Re: Suggestion thread

What engine are you rebuilding, 22RE? I too have a 4Runner. It has the 3VZE 3.slo. I'm thinking about putting in a 22RE when the 3.0 goes due to cost and low-end torque. Ideally, I'll be putting in the 3.4L V6 from the 3rd gen. model.

Let me know what engine, what vehicle, and your whereabouts. I may be able to help a bit.

4Runninfun previously posted:
    "awww c'mon you're not really wheeling unless you break something right?

seriously though i think thats a good idea as well, i'm sure there are a few things i overlook that i should pay more attention too. on a similar note though anyone who wants to see how an engine is put back together i'm going to be putting mine back together shortly:jiggy""

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

Yeah, he is working on an RE. Valve guides and other related stuff to be exact...

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

You really do not want to go from a 3.0 back to a 22RE. Trust me on this. You won't gain anything, including gas mileage, and would lose a bunch of power and torque. If anything, for the same amout of $$ that a 22RE would cost (roughly $500 used +-), you can get a good replacement 3.0 at Central foreign Auto and just drop it right back in in less than a day. Stick an after market intake and a free flow exhaust on it and you have just gained one gear going up hill. Central has an overload of these engines and periodically sends out sale flyers trying to get rid of them.

For a few $$ more, you can get a 3.4, go to pirate or one of the other sites and find out how to do the wiring harness yourself. There are 8 wires that you have to change.. you can also do a small V8 or a 4.3V6 and still be better off using Advanced Adapters stuff...

The Yota that I have now is the only one out of about 7 that I have had that didn't have the 2OR, 22R, or 22RE and I would never go back to one unless I was building a buggie. One does get a little tired of screaming up hills in 3rd gear nearly redlined at 45mph. Hell on the engine, too....

When you think 22RE, 4 banger (no matter how reliable they are...and most of the ones I have had I put close to 300k on ) think VW van going up hill and you'll be close....

Ditto with the diesel conversion: same $$ as a 3.4 Swap, a little more torque, same mileage and still a 4 banger...just a diesel 4 banger....