Front Range 4x4 Upcoming Trail Runs - Add a New Trail Run

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FJ's on Old Chinaman's Gulch

Default FJ's on Old Chinaman's Gulch

This is for Pathrat. It's not really a trip report, more for peace of mind. I put it here because I don't want to hijack Jamie's OCG thread with all of these pictures. Path, trust me your Yota will make it through the trail.

Hey look, it's the Rock pile

And, Whale's Tail

Default Re: FJ's on Old Chinaman's Gulch

And The Chutes

random pic

See, nothing to worry about. Go enjoy the trail. It's a great one

Which run were you on? Those are pics from two different trips. The differential hanger rock in the chutes is only a problem now if you don't keep up high on the right side.

If I remember correctly they were Rising Sun Chapter runs? I was on the fence about the FJ's at that point in time. Almost bought one in 07, but I took the Rubicon out for a test drive and was hooked.

SCRubicon previously posted:
    "If I remember correctly they were Rising Sun Chapter runs? I was on the fence about the FJ's at that point in time. Almost bought one in 07, but I took the Rubicon out for a test drive and was hooked."

They are very nice rigs and capable but I'll take the solid axles any day.

Last Online
    August 19th, 2014
    4x4
    2007 FJ Cruiser
    User Name
    Pathrat
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks Given

Steve, thanks for posting the pictures for me, I really do appreciate it. Those are some shiny FJCs. I see that there isn't much of a lift on any of them and one has a bashed front bling skid. Another has no skid. Seems that diff hanger or not, the way I have built mine will give me an advantage. I take it that the Chute is the V where the guy is kneeling on the ground, looking under the rig. Plus, we have great spotters and guys who have done this before and know the lines. I am looking forward to this run.

See you there Steph...dont be a that trail has your name all over it.

Last Online
    August 19th, 2014
    4x4
    2007 FJ Cruiser
    User Name
    Pathrat
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks Given

Tye previously posted:
    "See you there Steph...dont be a"

I won't be!

Last Online
    May 13th, 2019
    4x4
    '92 Range Rover
    User Name
    Funrover
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Thanks Given

Yeah I remember these runs... It was a cool write up, I am gonna look for the full story I used to have it somewhere!

Last Online
    March 26th, 2016
    4x4
    07 FJ Cruiser
    User Name
    BLUE THUNDER
    Real Name
    Joe
    Thanks Given

looks like a fun run. those ARB front bumpers on all three FJC in the pictures weight a ton. 140 lb. plus the winch. So Pathrat you should have a good time going over the rocks.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Thanks for the picture post. Nice to see all the FJs out and about...

I think that almost all the bumpers out there are going to weigh a bit and 140 doesn't sound excessive. I would stay away from the ARB, though, as there are better bumpers out there for the same price or cheaper. I cut away most of my ARB on my heap to get where I am now with clearance, etc and was surprised to find out how cheaply it was made, steel and joint wise.

BTW, anyone that wants to use your rig to prototype something, Pathrat, be it bumpers or SAS, better be willing to man up the time, parts and materials....

Nay previously posted:
    "Every time I see an 80 series loaded down with monstrously heavy expedition "armor" and gear that then has a huge winch, I just think..."well, you're gonna need that winch". And a supercharger. And upgraded axles. And... "

I have yet to use my winch but the supercharger is used all the time!!!!!!

Nay previously posted:
    "The Rubi jk is in a class by itself as a factory rig bought as a project base, especially in Unlimited form for the wheelbase extension. If Jeep would just put a damn diesel in that thing and give it an AWD option with a gear driven case it would have no downsides except everybody having one and all of them being red :lol:."

The JK Rubicon is in a class all by itself period. Modded or not. And, not just for what it can do off-road. A diesel would be interesting as an option, but some people would probably ***** about that too. Just like the 3.8, and it being a "minivan" engine. Had more than enough power to pull a dead Grandy up the trail - even with the stock axle ratio and 35's. The red paint comes in handy. When we come across a broken down Toyota on the trail, the airborne search and recovery team can spot the site easier

Last Online
    May 13th, 2019
    4x4
    '92 Range Rover
    User Name
    Funrover
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Thanks Given

LMAO!!!!

SCRubicon previously posted:
    "The JK Rubicon is in a class all by itself period. Modded or not. And, not just for what it can do off-road. A diesel would be interesting as an option, but some people would probably ***** about that too. Just like the 3.8, and it being a "minivan" engine. Had more than enough power to pull a dead Grandy up the trail - even with the stock axle ratio and 35's. The red paint comes in handy. When we come across a broken down Toyota on the trail, the airborne search and recovery team can spot the site easier "

That's right!!

Last Online
    July 27th, 2021
    4x4
    '85 Toyota 4runner - Speed Racer
    User Name
    4runner freak
    Real Name
    Danny
    Thanks Given

Nay previously posted:
    "
    The one of the "chute" is where you get stuck, you can't see it in the pic but there is a diff hanging rock right in the middle."

The diff rock is the red arrow, and the blue arrow it the rock that your wheels slide down and cause you to land on your driveshaft/diff.

You have to keep your wheels from slipping on the side rock.

I had trouble on that spot.
    Smacked my pinion and driveshaft a few times.

Nay previously posted:
    "the 3.8 @ 16 mpg was kind of a parts bin head scratcher for me, but hey, you can't have everything. Sure wouldn't affect my purchasing decision."

16? Where are you getting your numbers from? Before the lift and tires I was pulling 23 mpg.

Nay previously posted:
    "You must not frequent any Toyota boards. If you did, you would know that the trails are littered with the rusting hulks of late model Jeeps while FJ40's have held up nary a trail ride in the last 30 years or so :lol:"

1. There's nothing there that impresses me enough to look. 2. There's a good reason why you don't see any FJ series vehicles out there. Import parts are too expensive to let lay around. They get picked clean off before they become an eyesore.

Nay previously posted:
    " Toyota guys are ape about diesels, they spend like $20K to save $5 on gas by swapping out an awesome inline six for a tooth rattling Cummins - diesel 80 series imports with like 10 million miles still sell for about as much as a new TJ."

That only proves one thing to me. You can have all the money in the world, but you still can't buy brains with it.....

Nay previously posted:
    "You walk that line with a really good lean, but it is the correct line unless you are Brody running 38's on an 8" axle and have gonzo diff clearance, in which case it isn't an obstacle."

Geez, my JK must have gonzo clearance. Come to think of it, my CJ5 on 33's must have had it too since I used to shoot up the middle... Besides for going out Friday night, there's a real good reason why I'm not coming down to drive OCG again this weekend. There's nothing left to prove. I've already done all of the hard lines.

Let me ask, has anyone ever mentioned your mouth goes like a duck's ass? You just couldn't resist starting up your b.s. on this thread too. Nothing like trying to cause people stress about running a trail, eh? Good job

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast