4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Default Lefthand Canyon Restoration - Carnage Canyon

Here's something I received from Brant today:

See message below from Brain Rasmussen of the Boulder Ranger District. He really needs some help restore Lefthand Canyon OHV area. If you or anyone you know is able to help please contact him directly. I need your help caring for (and restoring) the land and serving the people.

Last year we had a very successful series of restoration projects in which we used a variety of BRD and CCRD employees (special thanks to Terry Savery for her recruiting efforts and watershed money). We worked alongside volunteers from the community installing post and cable vehicle barriers, and seeding and mulching restoration areas. This year I am facing one action packed week (Sept 16th through the 20th) of restoration in Lefthand OHV Area and I'm not getting very much interest from the OHV community. This leaves me still needing help, including additional FS vehicles.

Heavy duty work clothes are required PPE: boots, gloves, long pants, and long sleeves. Bring a lunch and lots of drinking water, sun protection, rain gear, radios, etc.

*Also, if you know of any individuals or groups in the community that may be interested in helping pass on this information to them.

Here is a rundown of events:

Tuesday September 16- This will be one of the hardest days of labor because we will be loading many 80 lb bags of concrete into trucks and driving them up to the 5-Points area and staging them for the following day's project. Steel posts, cable and water will be hauled. Good pickups and strong backs will be needed (sounds fun). We will start hauling about 8:00am from the OHV entrance- Moe's Bagels will be provided.

Wednesday September 17- This will be a big volunteer day for Wildlands Restoration Volunteers (WRV). Volunteers will be clearing pre-drilled holes and setting posts in concrete. I will need help keeping this organized and keeping the volunteers supplied with posts, concrete and water. This will be the day that we install the barrier to close "Carnage Canyon". ATV certification a plus.

Thursday September 18- This is the day I will be installing the cable in the posts. These barriers will be used to close Carnage and to protect the restoration areas along the re-route on fireman hill. Extra heavy duty gloves will be requited. ATV certification a plus.

Friday September 19- This is a big day for hauling restoration materials in trucks to the restoration area. Materials include erosion matting (light), straw bails (medium), and 50lbs bags of Biosol (heavy). A weight category for all! There's no excuse not to help. The materials will be hauled from the OHV entrance up one mile past 5-Points to be ready for the huge volunteer restoration day on Saturday.

Saturday September 20- This will be a big volunteer day for Wildlands Restoration Volunteers (WRV). They are trying to sign up 100 people. Volunteers will spreading seed, mulch and erosion fabric. If you want to bring friends and family including children sign up with WRV at www.wlrv.org. It's fun and food is provided. If you want to come as a FS employee to help with logistics and the public contact me, Brian. FPOs needed!

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Default Re: Lefthand Canyon Retoration - Carnage Canyon

Lefthand is a trail adopted by the Rigerunners out of Ft Collins. Predator 4x4 also helps to sponsor the cleanup. Every time I have been in the canyon when there is a clean up going on, there are upwards of 200 people working on it and niether room to park or need for more people.

Sooooooooooo....what is actually up with this request?

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Lefthand Canyon Retoration - Carnage Canyon

I'm guessing it's the Tuesday - Friday workdays they really need help on rather than the Saturday.