1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 976 Posts

Default Shop Talk - drill press fun

So I bent the spindle on my 12" Delta drill press....this was a great used buy from our friend and member Pete Marshall (RIP), but I was kind of abusing it. So after realizing that there was no available replacement spindles other than to try and find a similar unit and salvage, I decided to go shopping for a new to me press (and might as well go bigger, eh?). I am not a huge fan of the quality new big box store or HF drill presses, and the slightly more quality stuff like JET is just out of my price range. Plus, most of what I was looking at in that new range was a 12-14" benchtop press - the 14 is realistically big enough - I just have to learn to treat it nicely. Big thing for drilling metal is getting slow enough rpm with enough hp to cut, and that is where a lot of the big box store stuff starts to lack.

The hardcore shop crowd like finding old made in the USA stuff which will last forever, but its hard to find, and often needs some love etc....There is also a window of time in the 80-90s when a lot of USA companies first went overseas with production, and they went to Taiwan, not China. Seems while that might have been a drop in quality from the old made in USA stuff, it was still good enough for the home hobbyist and I think way better than the new made in China stuff today. In the end, a lot of what drove my purchase was just what was available and trying to keep the budget small....So, for better and worse, with budget as convenient location a big determining factor, I went with this....

Its a 1985 Craftsman, made in Taiwan, 17", 16 speed floor model with a 3/4 hp motor.....its nothing special - not some old made in USA unit - but i think the original Taiwan stuff was serviceable for light home hobbyist like me....of course, after almost 40 years, how used and abused is it? I get that some find the old Taiwan stuff as junk - it might not have the longevity. This one seems to have sat mostly unused for quite a while....it runs quiet and true with little run-out (at least compared to what I've been using). After I get it set-up, I'll see if I can get a dial on it and measure the run-out. Also collected a couple of other items - vice and some 90 angle for round stock....

total damage was $150 and I didn't have to drive out of town to get it (most of the other used options i was looking at were a 2-3 hour drive away)....bodily damage moving a 200lbs object in and out of the truck might be different story....it certainly is pretty big - especially compared to the little 12" next to it, and one of my concerns with a floor model is dealing with its size and either mounting it or making some sort of stable base. The little benchtops drills are much easier to deal with - either mount to the benchtop or use a tool stand like I have under it. Guessing I will sink some concrete anchors and bolt it to the floor....simple large plywood base isn't as convenient in the space...I've read some discussion of maybe using the standard small base and a cable anchor of some sort to the ceiling rafter and/or wall studs behind it, or maybe I'll try to make a mobile base with casters.

Its getting a good cleaning and whatnot....don't think it was used a lot, especially in the last 15 years. Doesn't look like tons of parts are available for it, but even if it's not a keep it for a lifetime, it's okay at the price point. Basically it cost less than 'new' HF quality stuff today, and I am betting even at it's age, its a bit better machine...when you do hack shop work I do, I don't need a good machine anyway.

Last Online
    47 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Shop Talk - drill press fun

So after buying and cleaning up the big drill press and getting it set in position etc....kind of got to thinking what am I going to do with the 12" Delta - I bent the spindle getting a bit too aggressive with it etc.

There is no replacement spindles available anymore, and the only similar used machines that I thought I might be able to salvage the spindle and keep for parts were way more expensive than the big 17" that I bought.....so at this point, with nothing to loose, I am trying a bit of a brute force method to see if I can get it back to something usable - even if just for small stuff or possibly to sell it.
    Anyway....first I checked the run-out - this could be done in the press, but since it was already disassembled and I have these newly acquired blocks and vice, it was easy to do it this way:

Measured around .020-.021" runout.....the brute force fix is then to mark where the 'high' spot is and then try to hammer it back in place....so far I've had to resort to a bfh and have been using a brass drift to protect the chuck mating taper surface.

This initially got the runout down to .010", but it seemed to hit a stopping point, and I was getting worried about the taper surface. I put the chuck on it to protect the surface and possibly provide a bit more leverage off the end of the spindle. And whoa, that worked....I think....looks like runout is under .005"....think I'll call it good. Guess the next question is whether it'll hold or if it's strain weakened and will just bend back easily. But now I have two drill presses - not sure how I'll live with that.

3. The Following Member Says Thanks to FINOCJ For This Post:

Jim (May 2nd, 2023)

Last Online
    8 Hours Ago
    4x4
    Jeep Cherokee XJ
    User Name
    xaza
    Real Name
    Cliff
    Thanks Given

I wonder if a fabricator could make you a new spindle. I know Aaron is amazing with metal and makes his own tooling for some things.

Cesare Pavese

Last Online
    6 Days Ago
    4x4
    03 Ranger FX4
    User Name
    The StRanger
    Real Name
    Sam
    Thanks Given

I’m thinkin I was lucky enough to pick up a 16 inch press and a table saw from a neighbor lady who had just broke up with her boyfriend and sold both to be for 20 bucks and a bottle of Jack...
    and I got to help her drink the Jack...

Last Online
    47 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

xaza previously posted:
    "I wonder if a fabricator could make you a new spindle. I know Aaron is amazing with metal and makes his own tooling for some things."

I am sure it could be fabricated on a metal lathe....making the splines and jacob's taper for the chuck end is maybe not all that hard for a machinist.....but guessing its not cheap to do (mostly man hours), and all that for a cheap, small, china made delta. I actually used it to drill a couple holes in wood yesterday - worked well enough for that project, but it was a quick and dirty shelf and tool hanger for my shop wall - not sure how it do with a more precision metal project. But all good if it works for that kind of small quick job, then hopefully the new to me 17" can do the bigger, more precise metal work.