4x4
    2007 FJ Cruiser
    User Name
    Pathrat
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks Given

Default Batteries

Anyone know anything about this one? According to some guy on IH8MUD, this is the rebranded Exide. Exide? Optima Red Top? Equal, better or worse? I will, at some point, be replacing mine with one of these.

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Batteries

Is there a link missing? Just so everyone knows, Optima has a $25 off deal through end of September. Good anywhere, I think it is a MIR. Costco sells Optima redtops for just over $100.

Pathrat previously posted:
    "Anyone know anything about this one? According to some guy on IH8MUD, this is the rebranded Exide. Exide? Optima Red Top? Equal, better or worse? I will, at some point, be replacing mine with one of these."

Did somebody have one to many? :lol::lol::lol:

Last Online
    August 19th, 2014
    4x4
    2007 FJ Cruiser
    User Name
    Pathrat
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks Given

Patrolman previously posted:
    "Is there a link missing? Just so everyone knows, Optima has a $25 off deal through end of September. Good anywhere, I think it is a MIR. Costco sells Optima redtops for just over $100."

Yes, there is a link missing, thanks. I will post it back on tonight.

I saw the Optima Red Tops at Costco for around $130 I think. The Pro-Comp rebranded Exide batts are on 4WheelParts for $125. That is the link I am missing. Their battery has connection terminals on the side as well as on top.

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

So Dave, are you saying I need one of these pricey batteries when I go to a dual setup? I've always been pleased with whatever's a deal at Batteries +

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

After going through a LOT of dual battery research, it depends on how your setup is and what your application is. You may want an Optima, you may not. Will post more specific info when I have more time.

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

I have a Painless dual battery kit I picked up from brody. I don't know anything about it but plan on using it as a backup and for the winch and accessory stuff. Probably get to it this Winter.

Last Online
    August 19th, 2014
    4x4
    2007 FJ Cruiser
    User Name
    Pathrat
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks Given

Here is the link I was missing:

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Off-Road-...&t_pn=EXP34XCD

The promotion seems to be no leaking and more than one set of terminals. Anybody tipped enough to cause a battery to leaK?

Pathrat,
    I had this exact battery in my last rig (94 Land Cruiser) and had zero problems with it. You can't go wrong with this battery or the Optima.
    Doug

My yellow top Optima recently bit the dust - though, I have no idea how old it was. I ended up replacing it with a CarQuest NGT Extreme AGM battery (http://www.carquest.com/common/downl...riesCQ_NGT.pdf). So far so good, but it's only been a couple of months and I haven't done much of anything with the poor thing. I went with it 'cause I needed something immediately and the price I was quoted (which turned out to be lower than it should have been - guy behind the counter made a mistake) was around $65 or so cheaper than a yellow top Optima.

Last Online
    August 19th, 2014
    4x4
    2007 FJ Cruiser
    User Name
    Pathrat
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks Given

Telly thanks for the info on your pick and Jimmy thank for the link. Everyone's input is appreciated.

Last Online
    August 19th, 2014
    4x4
    2007 FJ Cruiser
    User Name
    Pathrat
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks Given

Nay previously posted:
    "Yes, otherwise your under the hood pics will be wimpy

If I'm just trying to add reliability because I like to go way out in the Utah back country by myself in the 100+ heat of summer I'm not spending $150 for pretty colored batteries. Then again, I've taken a sawzall to a $52K SUV, and that's probably not normal either, but I've simply heard quite a bit more about failure of Optima batteries than I have about Walmart batteries for example, and in trying to add reliability to my system that would bother me at those prices."

I have heard almost nothing about batteries, other than "Optimas are the bomb" and what I have read here re: Optimas, Jimmy's CarQuest one and the few other generics. I'm looking for a leakproof and reliable battery so I can run my microwave I strap to the roof rack on my own Utah backcountry expeditions. And the blowdryer too, of course.

Sawzall to the 52K SUV...that is normal in some circles. Just like backing up into a tree and not fixing the dent, but just painting so rust won't develop, with a 34K SUV that you still owe 30K on. Was it you in another post that mentioned the condition of cantleaveitaloneitis?

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

So here is the "lowdown".

Optima's are sealed batteries. They are good for 2 things really. Primarily for mounting on its side so it won't leak, but also for fitting into areas where venting may be a problem. Miata guys often use Optima batteries since the battery is located in the trunk. You don't want the gases to build up in the trunk area.

Optima also makes a deep cycle. Deep cycles are good at recovering after complete discharges. A regular battery may not take a charge again. If it does, it likely won't have as long a life as a deep cycle. Other companies make a deep cycle. If a battery is needed that can run all the way to a discharge and then re-charge, a deep cycle is in your future.

Regarding dual batteries, there are a couple ways to wire them together. There is parallel which is just hooking them together with cables. There is no electronics which divide the batteries up. As one discharges, so does the other. Both batteries can run all the way down to empty. It is also apparently important to have identical batteries. Same age and size. Otherwise the better battery will try to help keep the no-so-good battery charged, putting too much strain on the better battery.

The other way to wire up duals is to put an isolator in. This automatically charges both batteries as needed. The car basically operates on one battery and "accessories" such as a fridge, winch, lights, etc all run off the second battery. If the second battery drains down, the primary battery still holds a charge. The vehicle can still start and then re-charge the secondary battery. There are 2 basic types of isolators. There are automatic ones which are common as maintenance free basically. There are also manually controlled switches. That allows for each battery to be on a different circuit just like the automatic isolator, but the driver decides which battery gets the charge. Simple as that! Since the batteries each operate on a different circuit, there is no need to have the same size/age battery. Simply install any size battery as the secondary.

Did I mention that I had done my homework?

Last Online
    August 19th, 2014
    4x4
    2007 FJ Cruiser
    User Name
    Pathrat
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks Given

Wow. This is why I ask. Thanks! :clap:

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Good info Jeff, thanks! I have a Painless kit sitting in the garage, I'll be getting to that one of these weeks!