Front Range 4x4 Upcoming Trail Runs - Add a New Trail Run

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID: A little something to lighten your day.

Last Online
    8 Hours Ago
    4x4
    '12 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2.5" lift, 33s, winch
    User Name
    Tom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,238 Times in 937 Posts

Default COVID: A little something to lighten your day.

Admin Edit: NSFW

2. The Following Member Says Thanks to Tom For This Post:

Spieg (March 24th, 2020)

Last Online
    41 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,022 Times in 2,011 Posts

Default Re: COVID: A little something to lighten your day.

Admin:
    Moved from General to Chat
    Added NSFW to the first post

Politics?

Last Online
    41 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

Giggles:

Last Online
    8 Hours Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    Tom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given

Jim previously posted:
    "Admin:
    Moved from General to Chat
    Added NSFW to the first post

Politics?"

Imo. Humor not politics

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    99 XJ
    User Name
    4x4JeePmaNthINg
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

made me laugh

7. The Following Member Says Thanks to 4x4JeePmaNthINg For This Post:

Tom (March 23rd, 2020)

Last Online
    8 Hours Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    Tom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given

9. The Following Member Says Thanks to Tom For This Post:

FINOCJ (March 24th, 2020)

Last Online
    July 27th, 2022
    4x4
    2011 G-Wagen and 2006 Range Rover
    User Name
    speedkills
    Real Name
    Shane
    Thanks Given

11. The Following Member Says Thanks to speedkills For This Post:

Tom (March 24th, 2020)

Last Online
    3 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 972 Posts

The Denver stay at home order included closing liquor and dispensaries...that didn't work so well...humorous, true, sad...a little bit of all
    https://www.9news.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/liquore-store-lines-surge-after-denver-announces-stay-at-home-order-brewery-dispensary-closures/73-63c26b49-8826-4e54-9a8a-18eb4ae49495

Last Online
    September 8th, 2023
    4x4
    2005 Wrangler Unlimited (LJ)
    User Name
    open_circuit
    Real Name
    Trent
    Thanks Given

FINOCJ previously posted:
    "that didn't work so well...humorous, true, sad...a little bit of all"

There are (likely) more people chemically dependent on alcohol than most realize. It would be a disaster to have folks going through severe withdrawal end up in the hospital or dead during this panic. I think you'll find liquor stores are classified as "critical" nearly everywhere there is a lock down order. It is sad to consider this.

Last Online
    3 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

open_circuit previously posted:
    "I think you'll find liquor stores are classified as "critical" nearly everywhere there is a lock down order. It is sad to consider this."

On a video chat with family last night and the ones back east in metro areas that are on 'lock-down' or something similar were also discussing liquor stores and asked about our dispensaries...they did not believe the denver order had closed liquor - I had to send them the link. There was a 'bet' on how long that would last or if the owners would just ignore and law enforcement would just ignore etc...so I checked this morning, and it was the first link on 9news!

Last Online
    8 Hours Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    Tom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given

Nevermind

Last Online
    41 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

open_circuit previously posted:
    "There are (likely) more people chemically dependent on alcohol than most realize."

My first thought on liquor stores staying open had me wondering why - I could see no reason for it - now I can see a reason for it. Sad, yes.

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

As long as we're being light, I have to admit -with all deference to anyone who is having any struggle associated with this- that I'm enjoying this time off. We're healthy and loaded up on everything we need and we laid ourselves off and closed up so we can use our unemployment insurance. We've been hiking every day and the trails are empty except for nice people that are willing to step 20 feet off trail to avoid each other. My dog is thrilled, but confused by not saying hello to everyone. Less airplane and traffic noise too. We're working out every morning, cooking all our own food, watching movies and getting a ton of stuff done. I met my wife in college and this feels just like it. As long as we stay healthy I'm looking at aleast 17 more days of essentially forced and paid vacation.

I hope everyone else stays healthy too!!

18. The Following 3 Members Say Thanks to Java For This Post:

Heather (April 17th, 2020),open_circuit (March 24th, 2020),Tom (March 24th, 2020)

Last Online
    September 8th, 2023
    4x4
    User Name
    open_circuit
    Real Name
    Trent
    Thanks Given

Still quite busy with work here. My kids are really struggling with not being around other children. This week it's really hitting them hard. Hopefully next week it'll be better when they start some online learning. The school district is planning to resume classes remotely at the beginning of April.

20. The Following Member Says Thanks to open_circuit For This Post:

Blackjeep (April 3rd, 2020)

Last Online
    41 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

Not much of any difference in life for me - much of my work is via remote / work from home with clients. They're still call'n and I'm still answer'n.

Last Online
    3 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

I don't mind some time off work - or lets say a change in the way we are working as school teachers for a bit. Last week was time consuming trying to do remote learning for the first time, and I don't honestly think its going to be all the successful in the short term. Its not that I think online learning itself is the issue, its just that most of us teachers have minimal background with it, and had all of 1-3 days to prepare. I am sure if the entire public school system started developing and using this model, it could be effective with some time (say a few years) , but it also might require a quite the change in teaching staff as an online/remote learning teacher may have/need a very different mindset or personality....One issue is that many classroom teachers do what we do because we much prefer to interact with people in a person to person environment, and the switch to digital communication is not our natural communication method, and thus is very tedious and tiring. For many teachers, the lack of social interaction will destroy continued interest in the profession. One of the reasons I left the corporate oil industry was basically that I sat in a cubicle and communicated with people in the field and all over the world through a digital platform...tedious misery for me. Of course, from my personal standpoint, I already struggle with teaching as I am not very extroverted and spending 8 hrs a day with forced interaction is exhausting. In some ways, its nice to not have to deal with moody, always complaining students for a bit - let parents deal with them! But, the time spent in front of my computer screen is now at 8-12 hrs a day with unending digital communications with students, parents, admin etc, and I am not sure what is worse - dealing with kids in person or unending time communicating with digital technology. As a friend mentioned, I ought to be happy as forced isolation is right up my introverted alley, and watching other struggle with it like us introverts struggle with forced socializing for work etc will be a bit gratifying. ok - back to the basement, have some miter cuts to make....

Last Online
    September 8th, 2023
    4x4
    User Name
    open_circuit
    Real Name
    Trent
    Thanks Given

FINOCJ previously posted:
    "As a friend mentioned, I ought to be happy as forced isolation is right up my introverted alley, and watching other struggle with it like us introverts struggle with forced socializing for work etc will be a bit gratifying. ok - back to the basement, have some miter cuts to make...."

I feel like I have spent most of my life preparing to be stuck at home indefinitely.

And now for a useful link regarding food safety and takeout:

https://www.seriouseats.com/2020/03/...ive-guide.html

Last Online
    41 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

What help has the school district presented / offered to get teachers set up? Did they leave folks to figure it out on their own (visit Skype, etc and create accounts...) or did they say this is the platform that is going to be used between you and your students?

In not-so-related news - I've been watching way too many CheapRVliving vids on YouTube. Hmmmm.... Could I see myself living out of a van? I spent four months living out of saddle bags on the motorcycle and found I could live that way permanently. Having a mobile location with a window to different scenery week by week. So long as I'm connected for phone calls and remote access on the laptop. Hmmm...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAj...bkIR54hAn6Zz7A

Last Online
    3 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Jim previously posted:
    "What help has the school district presented / offered to get teachers set up? Did they leave folks to figure it out on their own (visit Skype, etc and create accounts...) or did they say this is the platform that is going to be used between you and your students?"

JeffCo is a google supported district, so we use a lot of google stuff....Schoology is also popular and supported by the district, and has better control on assessments etc....The big issue isn't access to software, its the teach it to yourself while trying it out with students in a crash course that is difficult. In some ways, the districts tech center just keeps sending us 'cool' software that could be really useful, but most of us can't figure it out fast enough to use it effectively. I choose to focus on and use Google Classroom as its more easily tied to my existing Google drive cloud storage and calendar. Supposedly its also connected to our district gradebook function so I don't have to manually transfer grades from one to the other, but so far I am transferring manually - its not really a huge issue at this time. A lot of other software and web apps for various communication etc (e.g. google meet, chat, zoom etc) are tricky as it has to be pre-approved by the district for all sorts of child and information protection/security issues. It doesn't really bother me as I am not up to speed on most of this stuff - and I am not trying to re-create my classroom environment. In other words, I don't really intend to try and video myself 'lecturing' and then post it up...I'd rather just link to something like Khan Academy. I become less of the teacher giving direct instruction, and instead am trying to provide my students with useful places to get good info without wasting lots of time, and re-create the assignments to build on what was emphasized in the information I linked them to. Without a doubt, the content will be less connected and more isolated topics than I'd like, but we're also dealing with the reality of what the situation is. I certainly will have some more project type assignments that will be longer and more individually researched etc....Google classroom is pretty nice for how it organizes and keeps up with each student's turned in work etc - much easier than me trying to collect 150 emailed attachments and sort them into a bunch of different folders etc - especially if I am trying view a bunch of different images the student have made or attached.

But any digital interface will always have an issue with managing students doing independent work - especially for something like a quiz or test. So, I guess a decision has to be made as to whether one wants to try and give some sort of traditional 'test' or just accept this environment and the 'honor code' among a significant number of students will not be followed. Sorry - I am a bit negative on this, but my experience is that students cheat all the time in traditional classrooms - and over my first week of distance learning, the amount of 'independent' work that looked just like another students (including errors, mis-spellings, odd font changes in the middle often due to blatant copy and paste from different websites) is very high. On any given assignment, I would estimate/expect 30-50% of students to push the boundary of what is independent work and not follow the honor code - the attitude is completely about getting the passing grade with minimal work as opposed to learning the content. In a traditional environment, that attitude will come back to bite the students on a traditional test, but in this environment, that is not so easy. I'd rather not fight it, and give alternative type assessments where the goal is to actually utilize web sources and information. As i joked with my jr/sr physics student, I have no problem making your tests open note and book, unlimited time etc, but if you want it that way, be prepared for one helluva hard test! I truly believe there is value in traditional testing in a monitored environment (whether that be a unit test, final exam, SAT etc), but I believe that value is lost quickly when the environment cannot be monitored.

A different environment requires a different learning experience and different set up from the instructor...and also a much more motivated student to truly accomplish much learning. I am already seeing an increasing divide between the typically motivated A/B students, and then the less motivated, just get by students. In the traditional environment, students at least see an hour of content each day - just by attending class. Plus, most teachers give quite a lot of time to get classwork/homework done in class. So many students I have will never complete an assignment out of class - if they don't finish in class, it will eventually get turned in just as is. I have no expectation that about 50% of my students will actually do 'homework' at home. Those students that need the structure and time that actually going to school/class provides, if not the teacher's energy to drag them along (or should I say support them with completing work) will need to find some new motivation to be successful in this remote learning situation. I actually think there is some good reality that will come from this...It going to put more responsibility on students (and parents) take control on their own learning and do what they need to do to pass, as opposed to being carried along by the system or other students or teachers etc...we'll see, but I think the bi-modal split with grades is only going to get more extreme.

Tom started this as a humor thread, and it got serious....

Last Online
    41 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

Thanks for that comprehensive bit of kit. Humorous or not.

The personal touch to help those that could use the gentle tug to get work done / have a topic explained differently so they "get it" might not happen outside of the in-person environment. If the low grade kids don't want to put in the work, a divide could be expected to widen between them and the A/B kids.

Hang in there.

I'll be curious how this event is handled - the asterisk on the records - for many that might not meet education (graduation) requirements but the system pushed things along anyway. I'm thinking there will be no do-over where all kids simply repeat the school year, next year.

Humor, you say?

https://b3ta.com/

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast