1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 965 Posts

Default Re: Moab Oct 9/10 - 12/13 ?

I love to do new stuff....lockhart is would be on that list and I am fine with making the long drive to run elephant hill as well as I've never done it. I've run Fins and Hells before, so its lower on my list, but I would still be willing to do them both in a day - if you choose to run it on Thurs before I get there, that is fine. It can busy in Sand Flats, so an early start is nice for those, running them on a weekday is probably better. Maybe Jim or Brian remember exactly when we rolled into Sand Flats last year, but I feel lit it was 8 or 9am....The line at the gate grew quickly as we aired down to run Hells, and it was nice the trail wasn't completely over crowded as it was when I ran Fins a few years ago. And I am just throwing this out there if there is any interest - possibly a group split for the day - I would really like to run all of golden spike.

Last Online
    5 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,008 Times in 2,005 Posts

FINOCJ previously posted:
    "Maybe Jim or Brian remember exactly when we rolled into Sand Flats last year, but I feel lit it was 8 or 9am...."

GPS log shows about 8:43a at the gate.
    8:31a downtown
    8:43a parking lot to air down
    9:14a moving on trail (really, did we spend 30 minutes airing down?)

3. The Following Member Says Thanks to Jim For This Post:

FINOCJ (September 29th, 2019)

Last Online
    5 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

"I love to do new stuff....lockhart is would be on that list and I am fine with making the long drive to run elephant hill as well as I've never done it. I've run Fins and Hells before, so its lower on my list, but I would still be willing to do them both in a day - if you choose to run it on Thurs before I get there, that is fine. [...] I would really like to run all of golden spike."

Ditto

Last Online
    21 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Now that Adopt a trail is done...its time to figure out trail run plan for Moab....

Last Online
    September 27th, 2023
    4x4
    2014 JKU
    User Name
    Crawlex
    Real Name
    Derek
    Thanks Given

I知 interested in Elephant hill as well, I知 not deterred by the distance or park pass. Out of the rest posted I知 most interested Finns/Hells and lockhart. However, I have never wheeled in Moab so I知 open to basically anything somewhat challenging.

I知 going to Moab next weekend as well (10/5) to meet up with a family member who has a tricked out RZR so if anyone has any suggestions on trails that would be Jeep and RZR friendly (that we are not planning on running columbus day wknd) please shoot me a PM.

Last Online
    21 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Could we target Lockhart on Friday and elephant hill on sat?

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

Jim previously posted:
    "I'd like to trek that way.

My plan is to leave FoCo after the rush hour to Denver - say 8 or maybe 9a. FoCo to GJ via 25 / 70 says 306 miles. The jeep runs about 60/65 so perhaps 5.5 to maybe 6 hours with a fuel stop or two. Meet @ GJ (or wherever) about 1:30 or 2p - would that give enough time to get to Moab? I'm OK getting to Moab after dark but it'd be nice to travel the new roads with sunlight.

What duration do you think for the dirt route?"

you planted an evil seed, sir... we've been looking at the trails and time and I think we're going to spend Wed night in Grand Junction and head into Moab via Gateway first thing Thursday morning. There's a lot to see along the way, we'd like to take our time and if anything goes wrong we'll have daylight to deal with it. As always we'd love to ahve you along if that works

Last Online
    5 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

K. Thx. Unlikely my schedule will change - but if it does - I'll holler.

Last Online
    September 8th, 2023
    4x4
    2005 Wrangler Unlimited (LJ)
    User Name
    open_circuit
    Real Name
    Trent
    Thanks Given

"Could we target Lockhart on Friday and elephant hill on sat?"

Good with me, I think. Haven't checked the race map to compare yet. Any idea if we need to do anything in advance to get day permits for elephant Hill?

Last Online
    September 8th, 2023
    4x4
    User Name
    open_circuit
    Real Name
    Trent
    Thanks Given

Who will be around on Thursday and interested in a Thursday trail run? Opinions on what to run Thurs?

I'll update the calendar entry to include Fri / Sat trails. I can then also start a planned run thread.

Last Online
    5 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

ready for trails thu, fri, sat

13. The Following Member Says Thanks to Jim For This Post:

open_circuit (October 1st, 2019)

Last Online
    September 29th, 2022
    4x4
    JL Rubicon
    User Name
    Udi
    Real Name
    Udi
    Thanks Given

open_circuit previously posted:
    "Good with me, I think. Haven't checked the race map to compare yet. Any idea if we need to do anything in advance to get day permits for elephant Hill?"

Day use permits to Elephant Hill are available online only and are available up to 24 hours before entry. Groups are limited to 3 vehicles per-group, and must be separated by 30 minutes of travel time. The permits are free (National Park entry is not) but only 24 permits are given to vehicles each day. Each vehicle requires a permit. You can see all of the details here.

So... traveling with a large group could be a problem if there is a high demand for the days we're going to be there. This trail sounds amazing but I'm ok doing other trails if getting a permit for everyone becomes a problem. This is my first time wheeling in Moab and there are more fun trails than I have time for this time.

Lockhard Basin and Lockhart Canyon also sound like beautiful and fun trails. Never been there but based on the FunTreks book, it may be possible to complete both trails in the same day if we leave early enough and are ready for a very busy day.

Since I'm going to be there only for Friday and Saturday, I'll be happy to do one of the above on Friday and Fins n Things + Hells Revenge (or something else closer to Moab) on Saturday. Saturday night I am heading back to GJ after the trails so it would be better for me to not do a remote trail that day. But I'm flexible.

15. The Following Member Says Thanks to Udi For This Post:

open_circuit (October 2nd, 2019)

Last Online
    September 8th, 2023
    4x4
    User Name
    open_circuit
    Real Name
    Trent
    Thanks Given

Udi previously posted:
    "Day use permits to Elephant Hill are available online only and are available up to 24 hours before entry. Groups are limited to 3 vehicles per-group, and must be separated by 30 minutes of travel time. The permits are free (National Park entry is not) but only 24 permits are given to vehicles each day. Each vehicle requires a permit. You can see all of the details here.

So... traveling with a large group could be a problem if there is a high demand for the days we're going to be there. This trail sounds amazing but I'm ok doing other trails if getting a permit for everyone becomes a problem. This is my first time wheeling in Moab and there are more fun trails than I have time for this time.

Lockhard Basin and Lockhart Canyon also sound like beautiful and fun trails. Never been there but based on the FunTreks book, it may be possible to complete both trails in the same day if we leave early enough and are ready for a very busy day.

Since I'm going to be there only for Friday and Saturday, I'll be happy to do one of the above on Friday and Fins n Things + Hells Revenge (or something else closer to Moab) on Saturday. Saturday night I am heading back to GJ after the trails so it would be better for me to not do a remote trail that day. But I'm flexible."

I think James suggested Friday for Fins / Hells Revenge to avoid traffic in the popular sand flats area. Hopefully he catches up to this thread later and provides some further comment.

Last Online
    21 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

I would guess its better to avoid Sand Flats rec area (Fins/Hells) on weekend - especially saturday - due to traffic. I've seen Fins so overun with traffic in the spring (mostly ATV/Rzr) that it took 4hrs to just run the first half, and then we gave up and went elsewhere. Or course, that was also a Friday in the spring, so maybe it doesn't really matter. I would guess its best to run it on Thurs - but not sure who all would be there that early (I won't). I think my vote (as I have run Fins/Hells) is to run Lockhart and Elephant as my primary two preferred trails - doesn't really matter Friday vs Sat I don't think. FWIW - if there are some that want to run Finns/Hells on Fri or Sat, and some that would be open to another option, the groups size is big enough to split up. I think for first-timers to Moab, Fins and Hells are kind of the classic must do's, but some of us have run them a few times and would like to explore new options. I will also be around Sun morning looking to run something...and much like Udi on Sat, a nearby half day Sun morning run is ideal before driving home Sun evening. Last year, Jim and I ran ToTW in the morning before heading home - wondering if some portion of 7mile rim could be run that day? Heck, Sun morning could also be a good day for a lap on Hells or Fins before heading out in the early afternoon. In the big picture, if I get the chance to run one new trail that would be sweet, I am good with whatever else the group decides - its all fun wheeling. Sometimes smaller groups can move faster and more easily which maximizes the day's enjoyment. A group of size of six or more will be pushing the group size a bit.
    FWIW - I have been thinking about taking a 2nd day off work, and trying to drive out on Wed evening - probably camping on BLM land near GJ - and wheeling on Thurs as well....work has been a depressing grind recently.

Last Online
    September 8th, 2023
    4x4
    User Name
    open_circuit
    Real Name
    Trent
    Thanks Given

Elephant Hill on Fri instead of Sat sounds good to me. I imagine it will be the longest day of the trip, and I'd prefer not to have the longest trail day on the last day since we'll have other work to do that evening to prepare to depart.

I'm hearing the following from this thread:

Thursday - perhaps Fins / Hell's Revenge
    Friday - Elephant Hill
    Saturday - Lockhart Basin and/or Canyon

Only Jim appears to be a firm yes for Thursday at this point. James is a maybe, based on his last post?

Last Online
    5 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

All of that sounds good by me. I've never run Fins and am curious (but if crazy-crowded I could bail).

I've done Hells two or three times and could take it or leave it (I'd enjoy the trip if I visit it).

Rainbow Terrace was of interest to your kids. Any thought to squeeze it in somewhere?

Last Online
    September 8th, 2023
    4x4
    User Name
    open_circuit
    Real Name
    Trent
    Thanks Given

Jim previously posted:
    "All of that sounds good by me. I've never run Fins and am curious (but if crazy-crowded I could bail).

I've done Hells two or three times and could take it or leave it.

Rainbow Terrace was of interest to your kids. Any thought to squeeze it in somewhere?"

Rainbow terrace isn't really near the other trails listed. There isn't really a way to run it the same day as Lockhart or Elephant. That leaves the Fins/Hell's day as an option, but I'm not sure how long Fins and Hell's revenge take to run, as I've not run them before. I'd really like to run Fins, at least, since I've never run either Fins or Hell's Revenge. I could see skipping Hell's revenge and running Rainbow Terrace to fill out Thursday, if that's of interest to you.

Last Online
    5 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

That'd be fine (pref of Fins over Hells).

I enjoy Hells - it has a nice overlook. Pix here (the first half of the page-o-pix is Hells):

www.JimWilliamson.net/automobile/2018-10-18--moab-2018/3-sat/

Could Rainbow Terrace be a good "golden hour" / sunset trail (finishing after dark though)?

Last Online
    21 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

open_circuit previously posted:
    "how long Fins and Hell's revenge take to run"

Jim has the exact info on his GPS, but if you get a good start on Hells - you can run it in 3 hours. Fins is probably a bit longer - route finding is a bit more complicated (mostly because there are multiple access points to and from the paved road and multiple options to go right or left etc, and it crosses the road a few times. Its also busier and thus takes more time (I'd say 4 hours), especially b/c it seems like you are always pulling over to let the Rzr's zip past. The portion north of the paved road (the second half of the loop) seems to be a bit less crowded and I think is generally a better 4wd trail, although the south side starts you right off on some fun classic slickrock - but that side also gets over-run with ATVs. Its kind of like an OHV amusement park with natural features.

Last Online
    November 3rd, 2020
    4x4
    2002 tacoma
    User Name
    Nate3265
    Real Name
    Nate
    Thanks Given

For the people who have done these trails before I have an 02 tacoma with 31 inch wheels and no lockers. It's armored with a 2 inch lift and a which. Will I be able to do fins and things?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast