4x4
    99 Ford Explorer Sport
    User Name
    MillerL76
    Real Name
    Shayne
    Thanks Given

Default Re: The Gulches.... March 30th

So the water crossing/river area at the end of Metberry, is that legal or not? I always see atv and sxs groups playing around in there and would like the correct info before i say anything.

Last Online
    17 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 965 Posts

In short...no.

Last Online
    August 3rd, 2020
    4x4
    99 Ford Explorer Sport
    User Name
    MillerL76
    Real Name
    Shayne
    Thanks Given

So the water crossing/river area at the end of Metberry, is that legal or not? I always see atv and sxs groups playing around in there and would like the correct info before i say anything.

Last Online
    6 Hours Ago
    4x4
    JKUR
    User Name
    Getaklu
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Metberry is the only trail legal to the river from my understanding. River crossing, I believe, is illegal.

Last Online
    July 21st, 2021
    4x4
    12 Jeep JK - 06 4Runner SR5
    User Name
    goSlo
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Thanks Given

I called the South Platte Ranger Office last week and had them confirm, we can go to the river bank from all three gulches legally.

We cannot cross from any of them however.

6. The Following Member Says Thanks to goSlo For This Post:

Tom (June 18th, 2019)

Last Online
    August 3rd, 2020
    4x4
    99 Ford Explorer Sport
    User Name
    MillerL76
    Real Name
    Shayne
    Thanks Given

Thanks guys! I just informed the sxs group i saw it in that playing in the water crossing in a big no.

Last Online
    November 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    84 CJ8
    User Name
    Spieg
    Real Name
    Brian
    Thanks Given

FINOCJ previously posted:
    "The history and ever changing legal status of these trails has made following the law difficult - and signage has been minimal if any (I also think its maybe been vandalized despite efforts to try and post closures). As a sort of side note, I went to Predator 4wd (the trail maintainers) to see if there was any new updates and found this - doesn't sound good for the opening up of the Park County portion. I believe the 'closed' part is still only the portion in Park County - which as Chris mentioned, means the water crossing is still closed - technically, you would not even be able to drive all the way to the river on either Hacket or Longwater. As Metberry reaches the river while still in Teller County - this one is the only one open all the way to the water. FWIW - on the MVUM from Chris: Metberry is 205, Longwater is 221 and Hackett is 220
    http://www.predator4wd.com/halomegu.html

Here is a copy and paste from the above link about the trails:
    Important Update: March 28, 2019
    Various meetings have taken place but the trails remain closed to motorized vehicles. The environmental assessment study for the Pike San Isabel (PSI) lawsuit has been completed and is due out soon. It will be the LAST chance to comment and request that these trails be re-opened.

Unless we obtain the backing from the Park County Commissioners, the trails will remain closed indefinitely. The Park County Commissioners are the key to getting these trails reopened for motorized vehicle use. If you want to see these trails opened it’s critical that you take action now and contact the Park County Commissioners to ask for their support.

Contact the Park County commissioners office and request that they adopt the Park County trails so they can remain opened to motorized vehicles.

Write to:
    Park County Commissioners Office
    PO Box 1373

Fairplay, CO 80440

Phone: 719-836-2771

Fax: 719-836-3273

Trails in Wildcat Canyon

The trails in the Wildcat Canyon have continued to deteriorate at a disturbing rate. This is not good news for 4-wheel drive enthusiasts.

The Pike San Isabel lawsuit is still in progress. Even though there are organizations that support our concerns and are on top of the situation; the Forest Service has conducted closed-door meetings with anti-access groups. The Trail Preservation Alliance and COHVCO have notified the Forest Service that these exclusive closed-door meetings may be violating the law.

The Forest Service allowed motorists use of the trails but unfortunately motorists are also using the closed trails and the Forest Service does not have the resources to stop them.

Volunteers in the motorized community have offered to help with the trail maintenance but the Forest Service has declined their offers.

The Forest Service said there is too much sediment run off at the river. They haven't had the funding to find the true cause so they decided to close the trails to motorized vehicles, even though the actual cause could be attributed to bikers, hikers, environmental issues, animals and weather conditions.

Adding markers to help keep users on the trails and placing a sign at the river with guidelines on the proper use of the area could provide additional guidance for users who might be unaware of the concerns. The Forest Service acknowledges that educating users is the best answer to protecting public lands but they have dismissed requests to add these markers that would help make Wildcat Canyon a self-guided educational classroom.

Proper use of the trails
    Over the years, 4-wheel drive groups adopted these trails, maintained them at their own expense and guided others in the proper use of the trails.

We can all help educate users why these areas are unique and how to properly use the trails in public lands so the trails can be opened and enjoyed by the motorized community.

Here are some suggestions on how you can help:
    • Don't drive on the closed trails.
    • Teller Country trails are open because Teller County adopted those trails and allowed motorized vehicles access to those trails.
    • Support the businesses in Teller County which support motorized recreation.
    • Contact Teller County commissioners and thank them for supporting motorized vehicles in public lands.

www.co.teller.co.us

Write to:
    Teller County Commissioners Office
    PO Box 959

Cripple Creek, CO 80813

Phone: 719.689.2988
    Fax: 719.686.7900

• Contact the Park County commissioners office and request that they adopt the Park County trails so they can remain opened to motorized vehicles.

Write to:
    Park County Commissioners Office
    PO Box 1373

Fairplay, CO 80440

Phone: 719-836-2771

Fax: 719-836-3273

• If you vote in Park County, contact the Park County commissioners to share your concerns about trail closures in the Wildcat Canyon and ask the commissioners for their support.
    • If you see anyone not respecting public lands take a minute to educate them.
    • Guide users to visit websites such as “Stay the trail in Colorado” to learn proper use of motorized vehicles on trails.
    www.staythetrail.org
    • Offer to take new users on a trail ride to show them proper respect and use of public lands.
    • Support organizations such as the Trail Preservation Alliance www.coloradotpa.org and COHVCO www.cohvco.org. Both of these local organizations are supporting the use of motorized vehicle in public lands.
    • Support organizations such as Blue Ribbon Coalition (Share Trails) www.sharetrails.org which is supporting the use of motorized vehicles in public lands on a national level.

Now is your chance to take action to do more. Support these organizations and contact the representatives to voice your concerns.
    "

Anyone know the current status? I noticed COTREX doesn't seem to list any of the 3 gulches as motor vehicle trails...

Last Online
    6 Hours Ago
    4x4
    JKUR
    User Name
    Getaklu
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Everything I see would indicate these are still open. I have attached some "discussion points" from Predator 4x4 with a couple of points highlighted. The 3rd highlighted point basically states that the gulches are/can be a Free For All as the forest service has " abdicated its responsibility to manage them or enforce the closures". As shown in the 2nd highlight, they have also attempted to grant these as easements to the individual counties which has probably lent to the issue with the portions in Park County still being considered closed (though apparently nobody is taking the responsibility to enforce).

Edit:

This is also on the site, but not sure they have been closed:

Update: October 18, 2019
    Your comments are needed to open Wildcat Canyon.
    All written comments need to be submitted by November 4, 2019.

The Forest Service has decided not to open any trails in Wildcat Canyon unless there are overwhelming written comments requesting that the trails be opened. Tell your friends and club members to comment by the cutoff date of November 4, 2019.

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,008 Times in 2,005 Posts

goSlo previously posted:
    "We cannot cross from any of them however."

Aaron (or anyone), could you clarify - crossing to me means entering the water form one side and exiting the water on the other side / bank.

It's my belief (from what scant little attention I've given these trails / issues) that in at least one trail we may not cross onto the other side. This tells me that vehicles may enter the water from one side, "play in the water", and then exit to where they entered - never touching the "other" bank. No?

Last Online
    July 21st, 2021
    4x4
    12 Jeep JK - 06 4Runner SR5
    User Name
    goSlo
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Thanks Given

From what I understand, leaving the trail and entering the water is causing faster erosion of the riverbank(s) than the rest of the trail.
    Before they can say it's not the 4x4's causing it, the 4x4's need to stay off the river bank(s).
    I call them every year about these three trails and the river. Last year I was told all three can be driven to the river but not in it.
    I'll call again this year and see if I can get an update on which of the three gulch trails allow legal access to the river, if any.

12. The Following 2 Members Say Thanks to goSlo For This Post:

FINOCJ (March 23rd, 2020),Jim (March 23rd, 2020)

Last Online
    1 Day Ago
    4x4
    91 Jeep Cherokee
    User Name
    JandDGreens
    Real Name
    David
    Thanks Given

The last time I ran Long water and Metberry, we did Longwater first, when we were at the area by the river there was about 3 Tacoma's there one had a leak in his brake system and borrowed some brake fluid we talked and he said a few of his buddy's got busted on Longwater the day before and ticketed for being on it across the county border. My suspicion was that they may have been doing much more for the ranger to cite them ie; water crossings or off trail activities. We all pay for others irresponsibility check how many of us watch rental companies just rent for profit to people who really have no skin in the game and the rental companies just take no responsibility for thier clients actions. So what are we to do? Can't police people who really don't give a rip? And truly are uneducated to the rule anyways. Rant over!

I wonder if the rental agencies were the ones ticketed and fined for thier vehicles being used improperly things would change? Now rant over!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12