4x4
    JKUR
    User Name
    Getaklu
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Default 2019 Wish List

This thread is not for a run this weekend or next necessarily, but for a conversation starter for desired trails to run this year.

It seems that during a lot of trail runs, the topic of other trails that would be fun to run come up, then they don’t seem to get scheduled or mentioned again. I thought we could throw out some ideas here to gauge interest, then try to get them listed earlier than usual to see if participation would be better. Jump in on a mountain town parade maybe? Jim brought up the possibility of a “Pickle Party”, renting the group campground at the bottom of Pickle Gulch and making a weekend of the trails in that area as an example.

So, what trails (or other functions) do you want to hit this year with the group?

2. The Following 4 Members Say Thanks to Getaklu For This Post:

alanmikkelsen (January 23rd, 2019),FINOCJ (January 16th, 2019),Mark Freeburg (January 16th, 2019),open_circuit (January 16th, 2019)

Last Online
    September 8th, 2023
    4x4
    2005 Wrangler Unlimited (LJ)
    User Name
    open_circuit
    Real Name
    Trent
    Thanks Given

Default Re: 2019 Wish List

There are large swaths of trails in the Wells guidebook I have not explored yet. Most of them are west on 70 towards Glenwood Springs or north and west of 70. I don't have the book handy, so I don't recall if anything out there was technically very interesting, but I'd be up for exploring some new terrain out that direction if there is interest. I imagine I'd try to camp or find a hotel for at least one night if I were to go as far west as Glenwood Springs.

4. The Following Member Says Thanks to open_circuit For This Post:

Getaklu (January 25th, 2019)

Last Online
    21 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 965 Posts

I would love to do some loop or combination of Taylor, Pearl and Scholfield passes...I did taylor 20 years ago and have done a portion of schofield (till blocked by the typical snow drift that lasts late into the summer). I think this would be a bit of a multi-day trip with a night of jeep camping somewhere. Black Bear is still on the list. Not as challenging in terms of 4wd, but I also think a loop using Medano Pass and Hayden pass would be a cool overnight trip.

Okay - I did this one last year, but I want to go back to Chinaman's Gulch and stop and play a bit more at a couple of the spots like the waterfall ledge, boulderfield and whatever the set of ledges and steps are with multiple routes.

Utah - do all of golden spike and can pretty easily add a second one to that list in a few minutes with a guide book. Doing an overnight behind Elephant Hill in Needles would be on the list as well.

Last years was awesome...I did quite few bucket list trails including Hackett, Chinamans, Wheeler Lake, Hells Revenge, Poison Spyder and Top of the World...

As a side note, the big kahuna this year is hopefully a multi-day Rubicon run in mid-July with some other early jeepers...its going to be a lot of driving and towing the cj to get it there and back, but can't think of a more classic trail!

6. The Following 3 Members Say Thanks to FINOCJ For This Post:

alanmikkelsen (January 23rd, 2019),Getaklu (January 25th, 2019),open_circuit (January 16th, 2019)

Last Online
    September 8th, 2023
    4x4
    User Name
    open_circuit
    Real Name
    Trent
    Thanks Given

I would also like to run Medano pass sometime. I forgot about that one

8. The Following Member Says Thanks to open_circuit For This Post:

alanmikkelsen (January 23rd, 2019)

Last Online
    8 Hours Ago
    4x4
    '12 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2.5" lift, 33s, winch
    User Name
    Tom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,234 Times in 933 Posts

FINOCJ previously posted:
    "I would love to do some loop or combination of Taylor, Pearl and Scholfield passes...I did taylor 20 years ago and have done a portion of schofield (till blocked by the typical snow drift that lasts late into the summer). I think this would be a bit of a multi-day trip with a night of jeep camping somewhere. Black Bear is still on the list. Not as challenging in terms of 4wd, but I also think a loop using Medano Pass and Hayden pass would be a cool overnight trip.

Okay - I did this one last year, but I want to go back to Chinaman's Gulch and stop and play a bit more at a couple of the spots like the waterfall ledge, boulderfield and whatever the set of ledges and steps are with multiple routes.

Utah - do all of golden spike and can pretty easily add a second one to that list in a few minutes with a guide book. Doing an overnight behind Elephant Hill in Needles would be on the list as well.

Last years was awesome...I did quite few bucket list trails including Hackett, Chinamans, Wheeler Lake, Hells Revenge, Poison Spyder and Top of the World...

As a side note, the big kahuna this year is hopefully a multi-day Rubicon run in mid-July with some other early jeepers...its going to be a lot of driving and towing the cj to get it there and back, but can't think of a more classic trail!"

I too would love to do Schofield and Pearl. Have run Pearl twice and have been to the summit of Schofield from the CB side.

10. The Following 2 Members Say Thanks to Tom For This Post:

alanmikkelsen (January 23rd, 2019),Getaklu (January 25th, 2019)

Last Online
    1 Day Ago
    4x4
    91 Jeep Cherokee
    User Name
    JandDGreens
    Real Name
    David
    Thanks Given

If I were to do Black bear/Imogine pass loop again I would start at Red mountain pass trail from the north side trail head at about 8 in the morning it would almost dump you off at the tralhead for BlackBear. Then you can do 3 iconic trails in one day. (Be it a long day) You only need to air down to 20 psi for the whole time because the trails are not that challenging and the actual pavement time between trails is very minimal.

My bucket list for this season is to go for multi-day trips that allow for camping and differant trails in the same areas. I would love to run the trails that are in the area of St. Elmo like Hancock and Tincup pass(an area my wife wouldn't mind going) and Devils punchbowl area (trails she wouldn't go on!).

I also want to go back down to Ouray area with my wife to mostly camp and hang out in Ouray. (Maybe run a easy trail or two wife friendly) like Cinnamon pass to Animos

I am so looking forward to this summer!

12. The Following 2 Members Say Thanks to JandDGreens For This Post:

alanmikkelsen (January 29th, 2019),Getaklu (January 25th, 2019)

Last Online
    1 Day Ago
    4x4
    91 Jeep Cherokee
    User Name
    JandDGreens
    Real Name
    David
    Thanks Given

open_circuit previously posted:
    "I would also like to run Medano pass sometime. I forgot about that one"

Yeah I have heard that there are so many great trails down that way.

14. The Following Member Says Thanks to JandDGreens For This Post:

alanmikkelsen (January 23rd, 2019)

Last Online
    10 Hours Ago
    4x4
    JKUR
    User Name
    Getaklu
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Looks like Medano pass might get a reasonable turnout, anyone know the best time to try to hit it? Silverton area would be of interest to me as well as the BV area trails David mentioned, I only made it to St. Elmo last year. I wouldn't mind spending some time playing on Chinaman as we did roll right through it last year. Maybe an earlier start time and definitely another weekday hoping for the non-existent crowds again. Lots of trails up 70 as open_circuit mentioned and the Aspen/CB areas brought up by James and Tom. A lot of these would be camping trips as alluded to above.

Any other thoughts? Anniversary run - similar to last year, an early run to mark the date and the later run to mark the trail? Late season Moab again?
    "A wise and frugal government...shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government." Thomas Jefferson

Last Online
    21 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Getaklu previously posted:
    "Looks like Medano pass might get a reasonable turnout, anyone know the best time to try to hit it?"

I assume like most higher pass trails it doesn't melt out until June at the earliest...it would be a bit earlier than others that are further north as the Sangre's don't necessarily get a lot snow. The creek crossing at the sand dunes can be very deep...its been quite a lot of years, but I think I remember it headlight deep in early June. With the potential for a big snowpack this year and later opening of many of the higher trails elsewhere - this could be a good option in later June and early July? Certainly later in the year and in the fall would also be nice. The mosquitoes in both the wet mt valley and san luis valley can be brutal in the early summer.

"Anniversary run - similar to last year, an early run to mark the date and the later run to mark the trail?"

Was just thinking about this...was going to see if we could get a march run together in a few weeks - get it planned and on the schedule about a month out? May be depending on snow as always...but kind of interested in maybe running the gulches instead of just lil-moab. Of course, the social spectator aspect of lil-moab is pretty good as well.

"Chinaman as we did roll right through it last year. Maybe an earlier start time and definitely another weekday hoping for the non-existent crowds again."

Weekday early in the summer again would be ideal - or possibly a weekend in the spring before the wheeling season really kicks off? That area doesn't get much snow so it could be done most any time of the year. I would try to camp out the night before in the area so an early start is always good.

Last Online
    July 21st, 2021
    4x4
    12 Jeep JK - 06 4Runner SR5
    User Name
    goSlo
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Thanks Given

I'm very interested in Medano, Holy Cross, and anything MOAB this year.

Last Online
    18 Hours Ago
    4x4
    2012 Rock Ware Buggy & 2007 JKUR
    User Name
    newracer
    Real Name
    Michael
    Thanks Given

Lots of trails I want to run this year. I'd like to make some runs and meet more people from the board in person.

Last Online
    1 Day Ago
    4x4
    91 Jeep Cherokee
    User Name
    JandDGreens
    Real Name
    David
    Thanks Given

(Manodo pass) When we went down there to hang out with my daughter and grandkids we took their Expedition and tried to do part of the trail. We got to the river and the gate was still closed, (it was the middle of June). I'm Pretty sure it opened the following week. Because the flow of the river they play in was down to ankle deep. So probably be good after the third week June.

I am defiantly be in for at least an overnighter on this trail. Maybe the whole weekend of trails down that way.

Last Online
    1 Day Ago
    4x4
    2008 Jeep Rubicon
    User Name
    Jackie
    Real Name
    Jackie
    Thanks Given

If a group weekender with camping in the picture is the goal, Camp Dick would make a great base camp to run MSV, Coney, T33A and Bunce School road as well as others. Camp Dick is pretty big for reserved camping but there are also a lot of dispersed sites near by along the trails.

Last Online
    1 Day Ago
    4x4
    91 Jeep Cherokee
    User Name
    JandDGreens
    Real Name
    David
    Thanks Given

Once my wife has her vac. Schedule approved I will know which weeks/weekends I will have available through my summer break. The main 4x4 weekend for me would be taking a week and leaving Friday spend the first part in B.V. area maybe camp somewhere in the 4 mile area or just above St Elmo I can go early to insure a decent place for the first night (some play on Chinamins, for me I want to explore Tincup/Hancock pass) and then go to either Ouray (play and explore the trails in the Alpine loop area for the rest of the week). Heading towards home on Saturday arriving back to the front range by Sunday (Disperresed Camping the whole trip). Just want to have fun.

The one thing I would definitely want to do is have a meeting to get the logistics, expectations and concerns of anyone who would like to make this trip. Try to get the dates nailed down so that as many that want to do something like this could?

Unfortunatly my wife wouldn't be available for this much fun (all of her vac. weeks are planned out already for family events and traveling back east to see our new Grandbaby, and road trip up towards D.C. area and Niagara falls. But she would be up for a shorter overnighter some time this summer. Maybe she'll join in on following years big 4x4 trips (she really is not into 4x4 stuff). Hoping to make some memories this summer! Last year was such a blast in Ouray!

Special note while I was editing this post I just got notice. My daughter just had a baby boy!!!!!!!!!!!

Last Online
    10 Hours Ago
    4x4
    JKUR
    User Name
    Getaklu
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

JandDGreens previously posted:
    "Special note while I was editing this post I just got notice. My daughter just had a baby boy!!!!!!!!!!!"

Congrats grandpa! Hoping your daughter and new grandson are healthy and happy.
    "A wise and frugal government...shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government." Thomas Jefferson

Last Online
    1 Day Ago
    4x4
    91 Jeep Cherokee
    User Name
    JandDGreens
    Real Name
    David
    Thanks Given

She's doing good!

Last Online
    5 Hours Ago
    4x4
    03 Ranger FX4
    User Name
    The StRanger
    Real Name
    Sam
    Thanks Given

I would love to spent a week or so doing the Tin Cup area
    I think a Pickle Party needs to be done.
    spend a weekend running The Gultchs.
    Moody hill and Middle St Vrain again...

Last Online
    June 13th, 2022
    4x4
    1997 TJ
    User Name
    alanmikkelsen
    Real Name
    Alan
    Thanks Given

I'm up for anywhere Colorado, but would like to get to Moab, depending on work schedule...

26. The Following Member Says Thanks to alanmikkelsen For This Post:

open_circuit (January 29th, 2019)

Last Online
    September 8th, 2023
    4x4
    User Name
    open_circuit
    Real Name
    Trent
    Thanks Given

alanmikkelsen previously posted:
    "I'm up for anywhere Colorado, but would like to get to Moab, depending on work schedule..."

I've been thinking about a Moab trip this spring, recently. Maybe we can start up a 2019 Moab thread and see if there's any consensus on group trip.

Last Online
    21 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

"Any other thoughts? Anniversary run - similar to last year, an early run to mark the date and the later run to mark the trail?"

started some discussion of this: http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/...285#post329285

29. The Following Member Says Thanks to FINOCJ For This Post:

Getaklu (January 29th, 2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast